Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Are torrents being blocked?

This is a discussion on Are torrents being blocked? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie If you allow your seeding to go unrestricted, then the bandwidth is saturated. Try limiting the ...

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Are torrents being blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you allow your seeding to go unrestricted, then the bandwidth is saturated.

Try limiting the upload to a maximum of 140-160kBps and see what happens.
      Never have upload speed set more than 80% of maximum upload speed. Or your download will be slow if upload it fast.

I don't use torrents any more but when I did I made sure the actual upload speed was twice as much as download speed but upload was still caped at 80%.

Why did I do that?
      Well when a torrent is new everyone wants to download it fast so get your upload ratio up then and keep download slow, or when you have downloaded fast so has everyone else and no upload speed is then available and you have a poor ratio.

Hope that make sence.

Another tip:

Go to the utorrent files list and prioritise the higher file names as then you may be the only seeder of those files, utorrent seems to share or at least it used to from file one to end, if you force it at your end to use the higher files first you may be the only one seeding them and will have a very fast upload ratio.

I have been a super user with a ratio that would not compute as the ratio was so hi.
      Last edited by BritBrat; 03-05-12 at 09:00 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

as always with torrents its about getting all the options in the client setup right to get the optimal results, id try find a good setup guide somewhere and check all your settings but also downloading is always easier than uploading as if a torrent is very popular there will usually be tons of people seeding via seedboxes with very fast upload speeds so if there is already enough upload speed avail to saturate the needed download demand then your upload will struggle unless demand starts to outweigh the available upload.
      uploading is often a struggle on home uk connections with our usual measly upload speeds as torrents will always prioritise connections to the fastest available speed first and only take from the slower connections if and when extra is needed.

mrbish82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks

What torrent site is it? One of the sites i use, most torrents don't seed because there are 200+ people seeding and 2 or 3 people downloading. If there's no peers requesting files from you, you wont be uploading anything (this will sometimes show as 1-2kb/s in your client). If the torrent is older than 12 or so hours, this is almost always going to be the case. Sometimes i'll have 10 or so completed torrents sat there uploading nothing for days, as the faster seeders move on to something else, you'll start to see more activity.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Also make sure you have ports directed to the PC using torrents.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Any good private Torrent site will have a few members with Seed boxes. They will also chase members who do not seed sufficiently, banning any constant leechers from the site.

As for all the settings, this will vary depending on your connection, how much you wish to allow the torrent traffic to use and what the computer is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by BritBrat View Post
      Also make sure you have ports directed to the PC using torrents.
      UPnP helps hugely with this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have been known to cheat but you could get banned.

How did I do it:

Put tracker URL in firewall so no stats get sent when starting and shutting down the torrent (Thats when they send the stats) I think I also use to crash the torrent on purpose but it was a few years ago now, but every now and then let some through, once item is downloaded let the stats flow.

I don't know if it still works and I repeat if you get caught you get banned but I never was.

Just had a thought, could it have also stopped my IP from being seen on the torrent?

Broosta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Use Deluge instead of uTorrent. Its more aggressive than any other torrent client and so uploads better.
      Best off using a seedbox really though, unless you're using ratio free trackers. Please don't tell me you use public trackers!
      But also if its a big torrent pack with lots of separate bits to it, while it might look like there are loads of leechers on it, they might all be part seeders who have only downloaded 1 of the films in the pack meaning there are actually no leechers left so you won't get any upload out of it.
      And if the tracker is What.CD or BitMe or similar hard to seed tracker then forget it without a GB/s seedbox with auto d/l script running! Otherwise best to wait for freeleech or the What.cd monthly staff pics.

Incidently are many here into the higher level private tracker thing? I've got a few invites to some ok trackers too FWIW...

David76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broosta View Post
      Best off using a seedbox really though, unless you're using ratio free trackers. Please don't tell me you use public trackers!
      i survived at some hard to seed, private trackers, without a seedbox... so it is possible, though building a buffer takes a couple of years lol

Incidently are many here into the higher level private tracker thing? I've got a few invites to some ok trackers too FWIW...
      other than a HD trackers internal encodes, everything else can be found at other places!!! the high level thing is b*ll*cks

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Use Deluge instead of uTorrent. Its more aggressive than any other torrent client and so uploads better.
      But also if its a big torrent pack with lots of separate bits to it, while it might look like there are loads of leechers on it, they might all be part seeders who have only downloaded 1 of the films in the pack meaning there are actually no leechers left so you won't get any upload out of it.
      And if the tracker is What.CD or BitMe or similar hard to seed tracker then forget it without a GB/s seedbox with auto d/l script running! Otherwise best to wait for freeleech or the What.cd monthly staff pics.

I have tryed Deluge, and it is not compatible, with the BT guard proxy setup, it is broken, or something...no longer works....but utorrent does work...

Broosta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David76 View Post
      i survived at some hard to seed, private trackers, without a seedbox... so it is possible, though building a buffer takes a couple of years lol

other than a HD trackers internal encodes, everything else can be found at other places!!! the high level thing is b*ll*cks
      Yeah I agree it is possible to survive at some hard to seed trackers, its just pretty hard work thats all. I made it to power user on Waffles with a home connection and I was pretty pleased with that feat! Power user there means 25GB upload with a ratio of 1.05 - doesn't seem like much now but I had to leave the pc on 24/7 seeding to get there and survive. Now I use a seedbox I don't use my home connection for torrenting and I have trackers with buffers of over 5TB and rising with very little effort, and much safer.

Higher level trackers are good I think. They just provide all the latest stuff first and in the best quality, and eventually it filters down to the rest of the trackers. I think ideally you want a good HD tracker(HDbits.org, CHDBits, HDChina etc.) to get all the latest stuff as soon as its out and then PassThePopcorn for the all the older stuff.

Which hard to seed trackers were you in?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast