Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

FTTC - Sync Speeds vs real world

This is a discussion on FTTC - Sync Speeds vs real world within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I upgraded from Unlimited and no such problems here. I hope all of you get yours resolved promptly ....

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      I upgraded from Unlimited and no such problems here. I hope all of you get yours resolved promptly .
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

2. Advertisement
      Doobrey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: FTTC - Sync Speeds vs real world

Guys,

In answer to some of the questions...

I have tried from 3 computers. A Desktop, which is a 6GB memory, I7 proc, top of the range, a powerbook i3, and an older XPS Laptop. Exactly the same results on them all. Therefore I would suggest that it's not the computers.

I originally was on the Broadband unlimited and have "upgraded" to the new fibre product.

Thinking about it, I have reset the BTO modem and also the Sky router an hour after the install. I had to move some cables around (plugs etc.. when I removed the old sky router).

Should I wait for the 10 days, or perhaps as another member has suggested, raise a call for a complete line reset.

What else should I try?

Thank you all for your support. It is really interesting that others have exactly the same issue!

I still find it weird that HTTP/HTTPS appear to be the slow connections, as mentioned Usenet runs at full pelt.... Hmmm.. The usenet is run on an SSL Connection, if that helps.

Doobs.

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doobrey View Post
      Guys,

In answer to some of the questions...

I have tried from 3 computers. A Desktop, which is a 6GB memory, I7 proc, top of the range, a powerbook i3, and an older XPS Laptop. Exactly the same results on them all. Therefore I would suggest that it's not the computers.

I originally was on the Broadband unlimited and have "upgraded" to the new fibre product.

Thinking about it, I have reset the BTO modem and also the Sky router an hour after the install. I had to move some cables around (plugs etc.. when I removed the old sky router).

Should I wait for the 10 days, or perhaps as another member has suggested, raise a call for a complete line reset.

What else should I try?

Thank you all for your support. It is really interesting that others have exactly the same issue!

I still find it weird that HTTP/HTTPS appear to be the slow connections, as mentioned Usenet runs at full pelt.... Hmmm.. The usenet is run on an SSL Connection, if that helps.

Doobs.
      To be honest, if you are not happy with the speeds then regardless of what anyone says here call the fibre team and get them to check it out. Whilst it seems the normal 10 day rule doesnt apply it seems that DLM is managed all the time by BTO and has been reported to be sensative, it could also be picking up errors and playing with your line. But the only way to find out is ask sky...

If you do let us know what they say....

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Am i right in remembering recently reading that there is now 2 dif makes of BTO Modem being installed, the new one being ECI, if so then maybe people should start stating which modem they have when having probs as maybe it might be found that those having the 40 sync speed but 20ish throughput all have the ECI modem which could point to a problem with the new Modem perhaps
      just a thought

nijohc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      Am i right in remembering recently reading that there is now 2 dif makes of BTO Modem being installed, the new one being ECI, if so then maybe people should start stating which modem they have when having probs as maybe it might be found that those having the 40 sync speed but 20ish throughput all have the ECI modem which could point to a problem with the new Modem perhaps
      just a thought
      Could be worth a butchers but from what I've read the modem they supply (ECI/HG612) depends on what equipment is in the cabinet to keep compatibility at it's highest. I'd find it unlikely that it's the modem but you never know.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nijohc View Post
      Could be worth a butchers but from what I've read the modem they supply (ECI/HG612) depends on what equipment is in the cabinet to keep compatibility at it's highest. I'd find it unlikely that it's the modem but you never know.
      true. but anyway I have the HG612 3B. no problems sync 39999 & 1997, speedtests via speedtest.net between 37.3-38.8. real world speedtest by downloading an XP SP3 release 4.5MB/s
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If the modem is syncing with the exchange at or near 40mb, surely it cannot be blamed for lower download speed. I wonder if it is an exchange output problem, same as what happened with some exchanges before, when using ADSL.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok, on the phone to Sky Fibre team now - lets see what they say....

I'll keep you updated.

Doobs

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I have started a new thread regarding these issues.

Initially I would like to find out if there is a pattern with regards to the use of any optimisation programs. Please could members respond and post some answers.

Thank you.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post371680

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok,

Spoke to the fibre team.

We have gone through a command prompt, and tried netstat -b to show the active connections. We removed loads of packages, Chrome, AVG antivirus, Steam, etc.. So I have about 5 - 10 connections now.

Tried the speedtester.net and my ping has gone down to 10ms, but the speed is still sitting around 22 - 24 Mb on Speed checker, but on the Sky checker, gone upto 34 Mbs.

I am also now doing a windows update, as the netstat -b is showing some spurious connections, running from the server on port 49000+ (which keep increasing) and being pushed out of the router on port 5431... Weird.

So trying SP1 update for Windows 7 and going from there.

Also, they are getting one of their mega techhies to contact me on Thursday to go through the next level of support!

I will keep you updated.

Doobs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast