Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

SBUF Wish List....

This is a discussion on SBUF Wish List.... within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Whilst it is true that the BTO Modem handles the sync speeds, it is perhaps even ...

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: SBUF Wish List....

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst it is true that the BTO Modem handles the sync speeds, it is perhaps even more important now to have a good quality router.

Sure I already have a dual band router, capable of working at up to 300mbps over WiFi on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, but I also have the ability to run a 1Gbit LAN, share USB memory sticks, personalise QoS settings and loads more.

With the increased connection speeds you may wish to allow visitors access to the Internet, but not everything on your LAN. This is where 'Guest' WiFi accounts come in to play too.

I'm sorry, but the current offerings from the Sagem 2504N may be sufficient for some people, but it falls short of what many people desire today and falls even further from what people will be wanting soon with any Fibre connection.

There was talk about BTO increasing the speeds yet again on FTTC. The Sagem 2504N isn't suitable to handle a 200mb Internet connection. I have heard through the grapevine that some people have found that it struggles with a full 80/20 connection. This will need to resolved if indeed it is an issue.
      To be honest I'd never thought of it like that!

You are absolutely spot on.

2. Advertisement
      AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst it is true that the BTO Modem handles the sync speeds, it is perhaps even more important now to have a good quality router.

Sure I already have a dual band router, capable of working at up to 300mbps over WiFi on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, but I also have the ability to run a 1Gbit LAN, share USB memory sticks, personalise QoS settings and loads more.

With the increased connection speeds you may wish to allow visitors access to the Internet, but not everything on your LAN. This is where 'Guest' WiFi accounts come in to play too.

I'm sorry, but the current offerings from the Sagem 2504N may be sufficient for some people, but it falls short of what many people desire today and falls even further from what people will be wanting soon with any Fibre connection.
      Go on then Scubbie, what router is that ? And how much ?

I'll have also just done some checking and realised that the bottleneck on my LAN could be old Netgear router ... everything else is 10/100/1000 but the Netgear is only 10/100 At least the Sagem one (when it turns up) should at least be better than that

web_wizard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Undercliffe (MYUND)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      Go on then Scubbie, what router is that ? And how much ?

I'll have also just done some checking and realised that the bottleneck on my LAN could be old Netgear router ... everything else is 10/100/1000 but the Netgear is only 10/100 At least the Sagem one (when it turns up) should at least be better than that
      It won't be i'm afraid, the Sagem is only 10/100 Its why many people are anxious to use their own router. Myself included. You can pair 2 routers together which isn't ideal but at least you won't have a bottle neck

andijames is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Yep i totally agree with this. To get round this bottleneck i'm having to network two gigabit switches to get all of my devices on a true 1000 backbone and then feed just one single line from one of the switches to the router. Hopefully this will minimise any bottlenecks and limit the limitations (if that makes sense!). You would have thought 10/100/1000 routers would be a standard these days with the increase in demand for bandwidth (especially with HTPC and NAS solutions at home commonplace) but not to be as of yet.

Hopefully sky will let you use your own router at some point in the future. Not sure how they would use MER to authenticate though if they did this?

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Yeah my house has Gbit backbone over two switches, the router is not the central point.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

I have a Netgear DGND3700 router. It is suitable for both ADSL and Cable connections, although recent firmware updates have severally limited the Cable connection options. Over on the Netgear forums this has been complained about.

I can connect it via the Ethernet WAN port (i.e. for Cable Modems) to my Sagem 2304n and run my network that way perfectly well. It has also been confirmed on this forum that this will work with the Sagem 2504N on SBUF.

Quote Originally Posted by andijames View Post
      Hopefully sky will let you use your own router at some point in the future. Not sure how they would use MER to authenticate though if they did this?
      This is certainly in the wind. whether Sky goes ahead and whether it is just on the SBUF or SBUF Pro product range has to be confirmed. I can't see Sky doing it on the ADSL range at present though.

I would also suggest that people consider holding back a little if they don't know which Cable router to go for. If you don't wish to hang on, then Netgear's WNDR range is one of several worth looking at IMHO. The link below will take you to all the Netgear routers. Take a look at what is on offer and their specs. Take a look at the Netgear forums to see if the router you fancy will perform well for your needs and search around for the best prices:

The Best Wireless Internet Routers From NETGEARŪ

Of course there are other brands of Cable Routers. Do take a look at these too.

It would help to start off by examining what you are looking for. For example do you want: parental controls; dual-band; 150mbps, 300mbps or 450mbps WiFi; 100mb or 1Gbit LAN; USB port/s to share printers, USB sticks or external drives; Guest WiFi Networks; VPN controlled by the router.

For details on some of the features you will need to read the relevant manuals.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12