Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

BTO Modem install location

This is a discussion on BTO Modem install location within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by frazered my experience of some BT engineers is that they won't always move your master socket - ...

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: BTO Modem install location

Quote Originally Posted by frazered View Post
      my experience of some BT engineers is that they won't always move your master socket - I am hoping to have my moved if at all possible with this Sky fibre install

presently I have an unofficial extension done by a spark before we bought the house using cat5e - from what I can see 3 of the internal lines of the cat5e cable have been used to connect up to an extension in the office / bedroom 4.

what have engineers been using to extend / move master sockets? alu?
      So you have a CAT5e cable using only 3 pins to make a phone line?

I'd chop both ends off, recrimp them to make them CAT5 cables and then you have an instant router extension! Epic, epic win.

2. Advertisement
      frazered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stockton Heath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

i think that is what we have - i would still prefer the router to be upstairs in bedroom 4

just talked to sky on what happens and they advised it would be an extra charge from BT - in the region of 60 to 80 pounds. The advisor advised he personally had had this changed by an electrician. he recommended that lol

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The cost of installing a lead of up to 30m is included in the installation charge (which for most SBUF customers has been waived).

Personally I would encourage people to have the BTO Modem near to the Master Socket and run a long Cat 5e Ethernet cable from that point to where you want the Router to be located. Obviously you will need an electrical socket beside the master socket to achieve this, as well as a means to safely hide the Ethernet cable.

With FTTP coming at some stage, the BTO Modem will be replaced by another at some stage for one which can handle FTTP. This would also mean that the telephone could be piped through the Modem too in due course.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

frazered (24-04-12)

killa_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: chorlton,manchester
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The cost of installing a lead of up to 30m is included in the installation charge (which for most SBUF customers has been waived).

Personally I would encourage people to have the BTO Modem near to the Master Socket and run a long Cat 5e Ethernet cable from that point to where you want the Router to be located. Obviously you will need an electrical socket beside the master socket to achieve this, as well as a means to safely hide the Ethernet cable.

With FTTP coming at some stage, the BTO Modem will be replaced by another at some stage for one which can handle FTTP. This would also mean that the telephone could be piped through the Modem too in due course.
      So if I done this would I lose any speed like to have the modem in my bedroom next to my master socket and then run a cat5 Ethernet cable to my living room so I can hook it up to my router??

As all ,y thing are in the living room that need connecting to Ethernet this would be a great idea if it can work without too much loss

Thanks

The cable from the BTO Modem to your router is a standard Ethernet cable. Any signal sent along it will be at no more than 100mbps. Cat 5e cable is rated to carry a 1Gbit network signal for a distance of 100m, provided that there are no sharp bends.

Any Internet connection speed loss shown on the Modem is always going to be between the Modem and the kit in the FTTC cabinet as this is where the copper cable will be. BTO has recognised that a short length (up to 30m) of Cat 5e cable can be used to make an extended lead to connect the Modem to the Master Socket. I don't know how much of a signal loss is going to be present from such a length of cable though.

Based on the various reports of different extensions used for ADSL routers to connect to the telephone socket, short cables can work well (i.e. up to 10m) but many have been accidentally damaged. The owners have often not realised until they noticed that their speeds had dropped.

Remember too that the BTO Engineer is able to move the Master Socket to a better place should this be something you desire. Obviously you would need to find a way to connect any telephone extensions to the socket in the new location, but this isn't too technical for anyone familiar with wiring up cables. If you prefer, a local tradesman could do it for you.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks
      The cable from the BTO Modem to your router is a standard Ethernet cable. Any signal sent along it will be at no more than 100mbps. Cat 5e cable is rated to carry a 1Gbit network signal for a distance of 100m, provided that there are no sharp bends.

Any Internet connection speed loss shown on the Modem is always going to be between the Modem and the kit in the FTTC cabinet as this is where the copper cable will be. BTO has recognised that a short length (up to 30m) of Cat 5e cable can be used to make an extended lead to connect the Modem to the Master Socket. I don't know how much of a signal loss is going to be present from such a length of cable though.

Based on the various reports of different extensions used for ADSL routers to connect to the telephone socket, short cables can work well (i.e. up to 10m) but many have been accidentally damaged. The owners have often not realised until they noticed that their speeds had dropped.

Remember too that the BTO Engineer is able to move the Master Socket to a better place should this be something you desire. Obviously you would need to find a way to connect any telephone extensions to the socket in the new location, but this isn't too technical for anyone familiar with wiring up cables. If you prefer, a local tradesman could do it for you.
      So if I use a normal Ethernet cable 25m long to connect my router to the modem I should be fine??
      As I have a 25m cable already installed under my carpets as is in the exact location from the modem where it will be and to the router new location so this should ok I assume ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killa_uk View Post
      So if I use a normal Ethernet cable 25m long to connect my router to the modem I should be fine??
      As I have a 25m cable already installed under my carpets as is in the exact location from the modem where it will be and to the router new location so this should ok I assume ??
      That will be perfectly fine.

If possible, check that it is a Cat 5e, not Cat 5 cable. Cat 5e would be better for later when speeds increase above 100mb.

Cat 5 uses just 4 pins. Cat 5e will have all 8 pins connected. The cable may also have "Cat 5e" printed all the way down it's length.

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Ok just had my grandson move my router back next to the modem and done a speed test and it has come back as 75.01Mb down 15.24Mb up and ping 28Ms.
      The cable I use to have my router in the other room is approx. 18m. The speeds I get is a bit higher which is odd, but nothing to worry about I think any way.
      So all in all there seems to be next to nothing lost by using the cat5 cable IMO
      iechyd da

Thanks

That will be perfectly fine.

If possible, check that it is a Cat 5e, not Cat 5 cable. Cat 5e would be better for later when speeds increase above 100mb.

Cat 5 uses just 4 pins. Cat 5e will have all 8 pins connected. The cable may also have "Cat 5e" printed all the way down it's length.
      you think the bto engineer will have a spare cat5e cable i can get off him i need one now or i`ll have to ebay it

Thanks

Assuming that you don't actually have a Cat 5e cable then, you can get this on-line from a range of locations. It is also possible to get lengths of Ethernet cable from certain "well known" high street shops, but they tend to charge over the odds for something like this.

Most sensible Cat 5e Ethernet cable works out at around 50p per metre at the moment.

Searching around I came across this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Darktop-Netw...5280466&sr=1-2

This is a little cheaper than what I would have though, but it looks fine. If you prefer, purchase a roll, the clips and the crimping tool and make some to measure. I use the crimping tool & clips to repair any cables which have been accidentally damaged.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast