Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Trying to order fibre line/number issue….

This is a discussion on Trying to order fibre line/number issue…. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Trying to order fibre line/number issue…. Hello all Long time lurker, first post, I hope that someone far more knowledgeable ...

JMF1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tunbridge Wells
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hello all

Long time lurker, first post, I hope that someone far more knowledgeable than myself can help.

I have tried to upgrade to Fibre, one or two times daily since the launch day, through My Sky upgrades with no success. The line checker results just come back with the normal unlimited usage option (which I already have)
      I phoned Sky and spoke to a helpful guy called Kevin who rang me back Friday early evening. Good news! You can receive fibre in your area would you like to place an order to which I replied a very definite yes please. We got to the end of the order, install date booked and everything and the computer said no right at the end. Kevin said for some reason, possible exchange issues, that he could no longer process the order, as the computer would not let him. I was really disappointed to say the least.

Today I just happened to try my neighbor’s number on the line checker and guess what they can get Fibre.

My question is do you think my number is the issue since I have kept the same number from years ago from Eurobel then to BT and then to Sky?

Thank you in advance

JMF1

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Trying to order fibre line/number issue….

I should contact Sky again since it is down to their system that you are getting the reported issues.

As much as it would be nice to suggest certain things, such as logging in and trying the upgrade path, there appears to be a variety of problems with the Fibre software and how it recognises people.

They are aware of many different issues, hence things are constantly being updated.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

JMF1 (23-04-12)

rammy104 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi JMF1
      Ive had exactly the same issue as yourself, except my original line was with Virgin Media: The number was retained when I went to BT, and then again when I changed to Sky rental a month ago.
      Ive spent some considerable time on the phone trying to sort this one out . Apparently my number is still under ownership of Virgin media, even tho it was "ported" to BT , with whom they had an "agreement". To get on to Fibre , Sky must get the number ported from Virgin Media , but as theres a third party involved ( BT) then this is more difficult and theres no "arrangement" for this at this present time.
      Ive been reassured by Sky Fibre Team that this "arrangement" is to be in place end of June /beginning of July.
      All I was told to do was to keep checking !!
      I saw on another forum where there was a similar problem and eventually a Sky CS engineer , requested BT to ask Virgin media to port forward the number to Sky , and ultimately, this was carried out . I guess Sky will not do this on an individual basis to all those with similar problems now , so unfortunately we have to wait for this "arrangement" to be implemented.
      I assume if you were prepared to change your number then there wouldnt be a problem.
      I even got as far as having an installation date before I was told ..."Oh hang on .... theres a problem " ....duh ..
      As Scubie said .... "politics " !!!!
      If you have a different response to my questions to Sky , then please let me know !
      Regards
      Bret

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rammy104 For This Useful Post:

JMF1 (23-04-12)

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JMF1 View Post
      I phoned Sky and spoke to a helpful guy called Kevin who rang me back Friday early evening. Good news! You can receive fibre in your area would you like to place an order to which I replied a very definite yes please. We got to the end of the order, install date booked and everything and the computer said no right at the end. Kevin said for some reason, possible exchange issues, that he could no longer process the order, as the computer would not let him. I was really disappointed to say the least.
      This sounds the same Kevin I spoke to the other week to ask about sky fibre, if he was scottish that is, I gave the order to upgrade to 40mb...free install/free router

nice fellow he is...Jamie is another one...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jdsimp1234 For This Useful Post:

JMF1 (23-04-12)

Corywales is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02920
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Hi JMF,

I ordered Sky fibre on Friday after calling sky, I got through the whole order until the very end, when the sky adviser said there was a error on the system and it had to go to the IT team!! My other half was called today to say its ok and it's gonna be fitted 9th may!!!!! But online it still says I can't have it!! I feel your pain as I have been trying for couple of week too!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Corywales For This Useful Post:

JMF1 (23-04-12)

paulharan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I too have a similar problem. I was with Telewest ( now Virgin) about 12 years ago when we first got our phone number. I moved to BT about 6 years ago and then to Sky about 12 months ago. I have Sky Unlimited Broadband at present. After 3 or 4 calls to Sky about fibre, I was told it was available and went through order process. It also failed at the end to process. It took another 3 or 4 phone calls until someone was able to explain to me that the reason it couldn't be done was because Telewest still 'own' the number. I was told it would be end July/Aug before Sky would have a system in place to resolve the problem.

There must be a lot of people in the same position. Interestingly, I called BT who confirmed that they would have no difficulty in activating Fibre on my line and also advised me that they estimate my speed would be 62Mb. Not bad!!

I think Sky could be doing a better job of explaining the issues surrounding Fibre. They should not have 'launched' the service fully until they had a fix for this problem.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to paulharan For This Useful Post:

JMF1 (21-05-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

They should not have 'launched' the service fully until they had a fix for this problem.
      Isn't that a bit selfish? Why should everyone have to wait just because your personal phone line is still owned by a Cable company? Why not go the full hog and say that Sky should not release Fibre Broadband until every single exchange in the country was upgraded to Sky LLU, even Drumbeg? SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Drumbeg (NSDBG) Exchange

I agree with you that Sky should be able to tell much sooner in the sign up process whether a line is acceptable, you are not the first to have this problem. Surely it would not be too difficult to move that check to the head of the queue?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

JMF1 (21-05-12)

Wizzard is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I have the same issue. I was with NTL until 6 years ago when I went to BT and then O2. When I went to Sky in Feb 12, there were real problems trying to put me on Sky unlimited. After a few phone calls, I threatened to take the line and TV to Virgin! Guess what? I was told I will have Sky unlimited via BT wholesale, whatevet that means in Sky terms!

I was given appointments twice and credit card £2.18 also taken before their system refused! Surely there has to be a solution to this. My next call is to inform them that I am leaving to go to BT.

mikelane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pinner
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks
      I have had the same problem. Sky says that they cannot port a number that was previously ported. I thought that I had ordered fibre in April and as I was going away for a month, was given an install date of June 6th but as I could not see the order on the web site, I rang them to find that there was no record of the order. We went through the ordering process twice but failed at the payment for delivery stage. So I was put through to the Fibre team who then informed me of the double porting issue but as luck would have it, I was told that they were running a test on June 6 to see if they could overcome the problem and that I would be phoned on June 7th to let me how it had gone. By mid afternoon I had not been phoned, so I contacted them. The lady said that she did not know about the test but assuming that it was successful, we should try putting the order through again. This seemed fine and so we started (she also offered me the Pro service for £50/month which I declined). But she said that there would be installation fee of £35! I objected to this as in April and again at the end of May, I had been told that installation was free. She said that she would ring me back later but of course she did not.

I have always had good experiences with Sky over the last 26 years but this situation is annoying me. I guess that I will have to ring back tomorrow.

JMF1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tunbridge Wells
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hi mikelane

That's quite interesting that the Fibre department said that they would run a test.

I am in the same frustrating boat as you!

Did they say the test was a general test or just a specific test to your number/line?

JMF1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast