Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Poll: Would You Take Sky Fibre Pro If Available?

    Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Results 71 to 80 of 621
    Like Tree133Likes

    Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

    This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie I am not defending the lack of a port on the Sky router. Cost wise it ...

    1. #71
      AdamBrunt's Avatar
      AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Posts
      261
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I am not defending the lack of a port on the Sky router. Cost wise it made sense to utilise one of the ports.
      Wait ... does the new router only have 3 ports available once the connection to the modem is in place ?

      Also, what determines whether you can get 80/20 ? Hardware at the exchange or distance from the cabinet or both ?


    2. Advertisement
    3. #72
      Ipster's Avatar
      Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      751
      Thanks
      15
      Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts

      re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

      Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      Wait ... does the new router only have 3 ports available once the connection to the modem is in place ?

      Also, what determines whether you can get 80/20 ? Hardware at the exchange or distance from the cabinet or both ?
      BTO profile 17a allows speeds upto 80 megs but the distance you are from the cab sees the drop in speed.


      And you connect port one of the sky fibre router to the BT Openreach modem.
      Last edited by Ipster; 22-04-12 at 09:00 AM.

    4. #73
      Ipster's Avatar
      Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      751
      Thanks
      15
      Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts

      re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

      Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      although the speed and upload is great the price tag puts me off its bad enough 20pm let alone 30pm
      I know Janet Jackson says the best things in life are free and they are, but sky have to cover cost and make money. Maybe as more people join sky fibre they maybe able to drive down the cost. To a single person and to surfers who just use their connection for everyday use, the 40/2 connection is fine. If you have a family of 4 hungry to watch netflix and anytime plus at the same times blocking the 2 meg upload would affect the download speed.

    5. #74
      AdamBrunt's Avatar
      AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Posts
      261
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

      Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      BTO profile 17a allows speeds upto 80 megs but the distance you are from the cab sees the drop in speed.
      Thanks ipster.

      Is profile 17a an exchange or cabinet thing ? BT quoted me speeds of 34/6 (and Sky similar download speed) which, given where my cabinet is would tally up with the distance thing (compared to the full 40/10). I would kinda disappointed if my speeds were due to distance drop off on an 80/20 connection.

    6. #75
      Ipster's Avatar
      Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      751
      Thanks
      15
      Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts

      re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

      Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      Thanks ipster.

      Is profile 17a an exchange or cabinet thing ? BT quoted me speeds of 34/6 (and Sky similar download speed) which, given where my cabinet is would tally up with the distance thing (compared to the full 40/10). I would kinda disappointed if my speeds were due to distance drop off on an 80/20 connection.
      Profile 17a is on the cab (I think) and uses a higher frequency.. and because of the that the steeper the drop the further away you are from the cabs.

    7. #76
      AdamBrunt's Avatar
      AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Posts
      261
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

      Ah, ok makes sense. But it also possible that my cabinet is not a profile 17a cabinet yet ?

    8. #77
      Ipster's Avatar
      Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      751
      Thanks
      15
      Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts

      re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

      Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      Ah, ok makes sense. But it also possible that my cabinet is not a profile 17a cabinet yet ?
      Anything is possible, test the postcodes of several local streets to yours on the BTW checker and see if any get speeds over 40/10

    9. #78
      wakey's Avatar
      wakey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HASLINGTON
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TP-Link TP-1043ND
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Posts
      38
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

      Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      I know Janet Jackson says the best things in life are free and they are, but sky have to cover cost and make money. Maybe as more people join sky fibre they maybe able to drive down the cost. To a single person and to surfers who just use their connection for everyday use, the 40/2 connection is fine. If you have a family of 4 hungry to watch netflix and anytime plus at the same times blocking the 2 meg upload would affect the download speed.
      No it wouldn't, your upload requirements for these services is little more than the connection handshakes which are insignificant. If they were P2P based video services then the upload requirements for several devices may be enough to hog the upload and inturn lower the download but not if it's just iPlayer/Anytime

    10. #79
      AdamBrunt's Avatar
      AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Posts
      261
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

      Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      Anything is possible, test the postcodes of several local streets to yours on the BTW checker and see if any get speeds over 40/10
      Good plan. Tested a few phone numbers of people I know local to me; some come up with speeds less than 40/10 whilst one (who I know is on a different cabinet to me) comes up at 44/8 which, to me, suggests that not all the cabinets have been done or we have all been done and are all subject to massive speed drop offs.
      Ipster likes this.

    11. #80
      deadman1984's Avatar
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      newcastle upon tyne uk
      Posts
      3,235
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

      re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

      I am tempted to go for the 40 meg and 2meg upload package myself just to start off with my mother is paying for multi-room which I don't use 10 pound wasted in my eyes. so id rather put that 10 towards the broadband as I use that allot more

     

     
    Page 8 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION