Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poll: Would You Take Sky Fibre Pro If Available?

Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Like Tree133Likes

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by dankargo I'm really not interested in 80/20, this might sound silly but that's "too fast" for me, ...

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro Rumour

Quote Originally Posted by dankargo View Post
      I'm really not interested in 80/20, this might sound silly but that's "too fast" for me, its not essential for me and I have to think about my pocket. I'm absolutely fine with the standard fibre product from Sky.

What I am concerned about however with the addition of Sky Unlimited Fibre Pro, is this an early indication of potential Sky package changes in the future which could strip the unlimited usage tag from its 20 a month package? a bit like what BT Infinity are doing right now...

E.g.

Sky Broadband Fibre
      - Up to 40Mbps
      - 300GB Monthly Usage
      20.00 a month

Sky Broadband Fibre Pro
      - Up to 80Mbps
      - Truly Unlimited Usage
      30.00 a month

I really would not want this to happen and would probably leave if thats the case
      I think if the 40/2 package works for you as a customer why upgrade and pay more. whislt you can never say never, Sky's USP is the unlimited tag, its what makes people join sky and keeps them. Something drastic would have to happen for them to drop it. Unlike BT Sky have big pockets to continue to invest to make sure its network can cope.

2. Advertisement
      Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      I'm really not interested in 80/20, this might sound silly but that's "too fast" for me, its not essential for me and I have to think about my pocket. I'm absolutely fine with the standard fibre product from Sky.

What I am concerned about however with the addition of Sky Unlimited Fibre Pro, is this an early indication of potential Sky package changes in the future which could strip the unlimited usage tag from its 20 a month package? a bit like what BT Infinity are doing right now...

E.g.

Sky Broadband Fibre
      - Up to 40Mbps
      - 300GB Monthly Usage
      20.00 a month

Sky Broadband Fibre Pro
      - Up to 80Mbps
      - Truly Unlimited Usage
      30.00 a month

I really would not want this to happen and would probably leave if thats the case
      It's a good point. Nobody would want sky to take this route. Sky's best selling point is it's truly unlimited and I don't think they would ever want to lose that tag. I agree with the 80/20 product been a bit of, over kill for most household customers. Would they really see a benefit when they get great speeds at 40mbps. Its nice that people do have that option if they choose though.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      If they offer the same level service and maintain speeds then I will eat two bags of mini eggs.
      You would eat them anyway.

The blurb now showing on the Sky website clearly indicates that SFU will always be Unlimited.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You would eat them anyway.
      The blurb now showing on the Sky website clearly indicates that SFU will always be Unlimited.
      Oh excellent! That's definitely put my mind at rest.

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

for those who were saying they may jump ship to BT Infinity you may want to have a read of various forums... it seems some people on Infinity are starting to report congestion and slower than normal speeds. Just a glitch or the sign of things to come... you decide!

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I was bored on the way home from work so I have done some calculations between BT Infinity 2 and Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro over their respective contract lengths. These are based on paying the line rental monthly and doesn't take into account any activation/installation/equipment charges as Sky are yet to charge anyone and to keep things similar I have omitted BT's charge of 6.95 for delivery.

BT Infinity 2 - 18 Month Contract
      BB - 450 (18 reduction because of 20 for 3 months offer)
      LR - 262.80
      Total - 712.80

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro - 12 Month Contract
      BB - 360
      LR - 147
      Total - 570

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro - 12 Month Contract + 6 months to match BT
      BB - 540
      LR - 220.50
      Total - 760.5

So as you can see even with Sky's more expensive package its still cheaper over contract period and only 47.70 more expensive over 18 months to match BT contract length.

Having said that I *doubt* I will still stretch to 30 for SFUP as it will put my bill over 100 when my offer on Sky Sports has expired in 4 months.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

8. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewjr For This Useful Post:

AdamBrunt (27-04-12)

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I too have spoken to Sky about moving to a 80/20 profile but seems they are very confused about what needs to be done and bending the truth saying it cant be done at present, That is not correct as they actually regraded 50 staff lines on Mon/Tues and have put request in for another 80 odd lines so somebody in the business does know how to do it and literally takes 2 mins to do.

I do wonder if Sky are trying to get Openreach to waive the line regrade fees as such a recently launched product as they were took so by surprise at BTs upgrades and pricing policy. If Openreach do waive these fees for a set period of time 14 days maybe I would have a guess that they would contact all customers by email to ask if wanted to have upgrade to 80/20 profile, Another option they may be looking into is seeing what deal they can get from Openreach to regrade all lines to 40/10 profiles.

Carlow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Foxhall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      So as you can see even with Sky's more expensive package its still cheaper over contract period and only 47.70 more expensive over 18 months to match BT contract length.

Having said that I *doubt* I will still stretch to 30 for SFUP as it will put my bill over 100 when my offer on Sky Sports has expired in 4 months.
      will add aswell, you get more free extra's on skys line rental then bt(you have to pay for caller id for example with BT, 3.15 a month, when it's free with sky, and things that aren't free tend tobe cheaper then bt's)

tbph i am leaning towards getting SBUP when FTTC is here which does look likely for june(bt causing alot of delayed journeys around here atm ), it will put my sky bill over 100 aswell, but tbph it'll be cheaper then Infinity when all is done.

NWLondoner is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Colindale
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Thanks
      Caller ID is free with BT. It's part of the privacy at home. Just make 2 calls per month.

Carlow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Foxhall
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

not on my bill, granted by calls are with sky (line won't be with BT for long )

Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast