Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Files copying slow on sky fibre router

This is a discussion on Files copying slow on sky fibre router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So I had fibre installed and got a wireless n router, connects at 144Mbps, I expect at least half of ...

Zino_Jones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Files copying slow on sky fibre router

So I had fibre installed and got a wireless n router, connects at 144Mbps, I expect at least half of that. I get 3Mbps (NOT 3MB/s, its approx 350KB/s) when transferring between my NAS and laptop. NAS is ethernet not gigabit, laptop can handle upto 300mbps. I thought it was slow cos of my old router, with this, it is still the same slow speed.

Can't figure where bottleneck could be...
      When i connect NAS directly, instead of through router, it's megafast. But through any sky router, it's well slow. port forwarded and all that...

frustrated, don't want to buy a router to add to my setup if I still get such slow speeds. Takes an well over an hour to copy a 1GB file.

Ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Files copying slow on sky fibre router

• Check your computer over for what software is running in the background. It is possible that the processor is too busy. This should include any security software (i.e. AV, firewall)
      • If you copy a file from something else on your LAN do you have the same problem?
      • Use inSSIDer to ensure that you are getting a good connection
      • Use inSSIDer to see if there is a clearer WiFi signal too. Initially try 1, 6, 11 and 13 and see which gives the best performance
      • Look around for anything that could be interfering with the WiFi signal. Examples include Microwave ovens, TV, AV Senders, DECT phone. There are others.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Only a couple of neighbours showing up on wifi but I shall try the software and do a proper scan using that.

I've got it upto 1MB/s by fiddling around but that makes 12Mbps, a far cry from 100Mbps

Is the sky connector for sky anytime+ (not router, the bridge) wireless N? I could try connecting that and seeing the difference...

Everything seems clear so I will investigate using the software.

Thanks

I think that Sky's Media Bridge is only WiFi g.

As for inSSIDer, it will detect any local WiFi routers and provide you with an idea what it is like locally. Leave it running for a few hours to gain a better picture though.

One thing that it doesn't do is to let you know what background interference is about. You would need an electronic device for this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

After testing out a few things, I suspected the cable from the NAS to the router, replacing has taken speed upto 80mbps. Guessing for 100mbps port 80mbps is fine

I want a gigabit router soon

Thanks

Well done for persisting.

I used to get around 80mbps on my 100mb LAN, never any more.

As for routers that support a 1Gbit wired connection, there are a few to choose from. I would love to say that I could recommend a router that would replace the Sagem 2504n, but at the moment the best advice is to use a Cable router and connect it to the Sagem via the Cable router's WAN port.

Placing you own Cable router's IP address on the Sagem in the DMZ Server settings would pass all the Internet traffic without any filtering. You could then disable the Sagem's WiFi and connect everything to the new Cable router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes I have been reading your guides and stuff. I like the price of Belkin ones but I like Netgear ones, lot more expensive though and I'm the main one who streams/transfers media across the home even though I've shown the family how to do it. They just about use the pause on Sky+ HD lol. Don't know if I can justify cost for that reason.
      Yes I want to get a cable router but I actually want the sky router to handle ip assignment, port forwarding, etc, but the cable router to just do wireless. I prefer this plus I would need more than the 4 ports, I need 6, so two would go into the sky fibre router (+ 1 to other router + 1 to openreach modem) and all my gigabit stuff would go into the second router. I want the sky router to still be in the driving seat

I think to do this I turn the firewall off (allow all/always) on the second router, and leave the firewall on sky router, DMZ stays off. What is this NAT, double NAT and that? Could that be a problem if I don't follow the DMZ way.

also, does 300mbps on wireless imply total, or per device connected upto say a set number? As in, would 3 laptops connected mean 300mbps divided by 3, or 300mbps to each laptop? (actual throughput probably 200ish?)

Thanks

Tom's guide on the DIR613 is the best one IMHO to do what I was suggesting. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html . I can work successfully, provided that you set things up correctly. I have connected my DGND3700 in this manner with my Sagem 2304n connecting to Sky's servers.

This would place you new router in a position to manage your whole LAN, passing any Internet traffic straight through the Sky router, BTO Modem and on to Sky's servers. If you were to have the WNDR3700, for example, any traffic from the NAS would be able to pass as fast as the 300mb/s WiFi can handle. This is because it's LAN would work at 1Gbit.

It you just want a 300mbps access point, then perhaps you would be better looking at something like the Netgear WN802T. This would leave the Sky router in control of your LAN, but also provide you with a 300mb WiFi. Although it has a 1Gbit Ethernet port, this would be used to connect the WN802T to the Sky router. You could insert a 1Gbit Network Switch and connect the NAS to that. This solution would allow you to place the access point further from the Sky router as well, providing you the opportunity to cover any points in your home which aren't currently covered well for WiFi. You may need to consider using a pair of HomePlugs too to connect the two together.

As for NAT and Double NAT, essentially it is referring to the ability to access items on your LAN from outside and via an outside address within your LAN.

Here is an article on another forum: Double NAT - What it is and how to resolve it

As for the DMZ Server, basically you can have another device on your network handling things like assigning IP addresses, prioritising Internet traffic, etc. This could be a Server or, as in the example above, another cable router.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...mz-server.html

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zino_Jones View Post
      Yes I have been reading your guides and stuff. I like the price of Belkin ones but I like Netgear ones, lot more expensive though and I'm the main one who streams/transfers media across the home even though I've shown the family how to do it. They just about use the pause on Sky+ HD lol. Don't know if I can justify cost for that reason.
      Yes I want to get a cable router but I actually want the sky router to handle ip assignment, port forwarding, etc, but the cable router to just do wireless. I prefer this plus I would need more than the 4 ports, I need 6, so two would go into the sky fibre router (+ 1 to other router + 1 to openreach modem) and all my gigabit stuff would go into the second router. I want the sky router to still be in the driving seat

I think to do this I turn the firewall off (allow all/always) on the second router, and leave the firewall on sky router, DMZ stays off. What is this NAT, double NAT and that? Could that be a problem if I don't follow the DMZ way.

also, does 300mbps on wireless imply total, or per device connected upto say a set number? As in, would 3 laptops connected mean 300mbps divided by 3, or 300mbps to each laptop? (actual throughput probably 200ish?)
      this is what I have done. My cable router (AEBS) is in bridge mode and just handles the wireless and gig e
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

Exchange:
      Thanks

ah yes, it's called bridge mode yup.

both good options, I think it comes down to preference. I prefer the sky router to handle the nitty gritty and the second router to handle transfers etc. I have hidden the modem under my tv cabinet and the data extension socket lol, I will have to hide the sky router too next

Andrew, thanks to the thread you started, I ended up with fibre optic. I gotta be honest, it was a little anti-climactic. I built it up a bit and then it was like, oh, ok, that's it. I think my browser is letting me down. I have tweaked my firefox but it isn't as zippy as I would like and I don't like google chrome...

There is so much I understand about networking now. I'm just trying to get my head around DMZ and NAT stuff, then I know most of what I need to get the best from everything. Info on 5GHz and channel bonding has been very helpful, especially as it avoids frustration when you get equipment that doesn't connect at advertised speed. I know how to get the max speed quoted or why I am not getting it.

the inSSIDer application is good to have. I don't like installing too much software but I decided to install it as it is really handy, already changed my channel to a free one, I was on the same channel as next door I think. Improved the speed a little but every little helps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast