Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

can i get the full 40mb?

This is a discussion on can i get the full 40mb? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; id also assumed that the sky router passwords were inside the router also i have a spare power plug fo ...

shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Re: can i get the full 40mb?

id also assumed that the sky router passwords were inside the router also i have a spare power plug fo the router modem listed in my info so i could get it away but before i do it would require a flash first ?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The Modem will connect you to the Fibre Cabinet and maintain your connection with that. The router has the log in details for you to sign in to the Sky servers and from there gain access to the Internet. so yes the 'passwords' are inside the router.

You do not need to flash any firmware on either the BTO Modem or the Sky router. It there are any updates both will automatically perform them.

As for locating them, remember that as the connection between them will be an Ethernet cable, you could have them up to 100m apart.

Finally, the pictures on the Sky website have an important flaw: You should locate the Sky router in the stand supplied with it with the power lead uppermost. This is to ensure that the router cools properly and that the WiFi aerials are in their best position.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Taffowl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

In terms of the router I got this email after I ordered fibre:

"Sky offers free like-for like take-back on electrical equipment. When you buy a new Sky product, we'll take back the product that ours is replacing even if it wasn't originally sold to you by Sky. Our engineer will also take any old Sky equipment you no longer want (e.g. old Sky boxes) when they install your new box.

Sky Broadband
      Your Sky Broadband service will be activated in around 10-15 days. We'll send you a letter confirming your activation date."

I thought that it was a BT engineer that came and not Sky one; as such is it likely that Sky will want my 2504N router that I've only had for about a month (my original white netgear finally died after years of service).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Finally, the pictures on the Sky website have an important flaw: You should locate the Sky router in the stand supplied with it with the power lead uppermost. This is to ensure that the router cools properly and that the WiFi aerials are in their best position.
      That's true Scubbie, it also says plug into any port on the router. We have been told that Port 1 is optimised for the fibre connection, it shows port 4 being used. We have also been told that the 'data cable' will be supplied and fitted by the BTO.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taffowl View Post
      I thought that it was a BT engineer that came and not Sky one; as such is it likely that Sky will want my 2504N router that I've only had for about a month (my original white netgear finally died after years of service).
      It will be someone from BTO and he won't be taking anything away with him as it belongs to either you or Sky. The boxes referred to in that statement are the Sky TV STBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's true Scubbie, it also says plug into any port on the router. We have been told that Port 1 is optimised for the fibre connection, it shows port 4 being used. We have also been told that the 'data cable' will be supplied and fitted by the BTO.
      Port 1 is used in the photos (the yellow port furthest from the blue & green ports). You do get two cables supplied with the Sagem 2504N for the Fibre connection. Yes BTO will make up a longer cable if required, but I guess that Sky doesn't like to advertise this too much.

Also from andrewjr's photos it is the black Ethernet lead that is labelled up for connecting between the BTO Modem and Sky Router. Whilst we now it doesn't really matter, it would be better to have some consistency.

It amazes me how some simple errors are allowed to creep in like that. I realise that a professional photographer isn't trained to set up the router, but it might have been a good idea to include the details about overheating. A simple piece like that could save Sky a few pounds in replacement routers and less customers would have to wait for replacement routers.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

Also from andrewjr's photos it is the black Ethernet lead that is labelled up for connecting between the BTO Modem and Sky Router. Whilst we now it doesn't really matter, it would be better to have some consistency.
      Getting a bit mixed up scubbie, the white one is labelled up for connecting between the router and modem not the black. But as you said it doesn't matter either way they are both cat 5e cables.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post354744
      shakey1980 likes this.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

sorry - I thought that that was the one with black plugs, as opposed to the yellow plugs shown, which is what I should have stated.

In reality it makes no difference though.

You can purchase Cat 5e Ethernet cables coloured red, green, blue, pink, black, grey and many more. They will all work equally well.

Thanks
      No worries, I have black, grey, dark grey and yellow cat5e in my setup. The cable from my modem to router is one that came with my Xbox because it's long and I didn't have to use the spare I have to make one up
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

shakey1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: New Brancepeth NENP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      No worries, I have black, grey, dark grey and yellow cat5e in my setup. The cable from my modem to router is one that came with my Xbox because it's long and I didn't have to use the spare I have to make one up
      on anther note is it worth getting a n range receiver as i have g rated is perfectly fine but it never hurts to be sure lol also has anyone got any pictures of the actual setup for a geek to look at: edit never mind i found some in the post above

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1980 View Post
      on anther note is it worth getting a n range receiver as i have g rated is perfectly fine but it never hurts to be sure lol also has anyone got any pictures of the actual setup for a geek to look at: edit never mind i found some in the post above
      heres another pic with the 2504, my AEBS and 1TB hard drive stashed out of the way in my cubby hole on my desk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast