Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky fibre - some questions

This is a discussion on Sky fibre - some questions within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Rygar I dont think anyone can promise they never will. You can say its unlikely, doesnt fit ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky fibre - some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar View Post
      I dont think anyone can promise they never will. You can say its unlikely, doesnt fit with their current marketing strategy etc but no one can say definitively what the future holds, as no one really knows (not even Sky themselves).

For what its worth I dont think they will introduce shaping/capping any time soon, and I certainly hope they never will but thats different from making an outright statement of fact that they never will.
      Sky built their own network to cut down on transit costs of data, hence why they can do unlimited, as they don't have to pay (unless you are on Connect)

Sky's aim is to make money, they make money by people buying programmes to watch. The more programmes watched, the more profit Sky make. Logically, providing as much backhaul as possible, potentially makes Sky even more money. No other ISP has that potential of income.

To say that Sky could pull the plug on unlimited is just silly in the grand scheme of things, they boast truly unlimited. If they limited it or traffic shaped it, people who legitimately download the internet, download all those legal torrents, as well as download linux distros would all go elsewhere, surely?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      Rygar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Lochnagar
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes they bought the already robust Easynet network and built on it. But they do have to pay. Bandwidth costs money no matter how you dice it, there are costs associated with providing & maintaining a massive network and the more bandwidth provided the higher the costs. At the moment they have a robust network and a business model that works well & long may it continue. As soon as Sky Fibre is available to me I'll be jumping aboard.

All I'm saying is no one can see into the future so its impossible to make guarantees such as they will NEVER shape/cap as this is simply an unknown (most things in the future are). Imagine for example a scenario in 5 years time where a misguided government forces all ISPs to limit 100GB per month per household as they mistakenly believe this will help cut down on piracy. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No. There are any number of things could make Sky change their policy at some point in the future.

I'm not trying to scaremonger or anything Im simply pointing out no one can make guarantees about the future business policies of any commercial enterprise because things can and sometimes do change. I agree its very unlikely but like I said saying unlikely is not the same as making an outright statement of "never".

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Fair comment, maybe I should have put 'probably' never will.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

Rygar (17-04-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

You are quite right Rygar, although unlikely, Sky could change their T&Cs in future.

The truth though is that they have just invested a huge amount in increasing the capacity of the backhaul. I would expect too that a large investment has been made to the servers and the links between them and the rest of the Internet.

With an estimate increase of around 50% per year in Internet traffic, it would be foul hardy to suggest that the current infrastructure will be sufficient in 10 years to cope with the traffic created. With this in mind, all the indications from BSkyB are that they will continue to invest in their Internet and telephone system.

As for TalkTalk, Virgin Media and BTO, they too are investing in their infrastructures, but have not currently managed to get a backhaul that is capable of handling the current traffic, let alone what may be present in 10 years.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Also dont forget Sky are pushing people to use their service for heavy downloads such as anytime+ and the soon to be NOW TV, if they were to restrict or cap services how could they expect any other ISP to allow their services to be used. I think sky pushing Unlimited is proof they intend to invest more and more in their network and it also makes other ISPs do the same.

Rygar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen Lochnagar
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Fair comment, maybe I should have put 'probably' never will.
      Works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As for TalkTalk, Virgin Media and BTO, they too are investing in their infrastructures, but have not currently managed to get a backhaul that is capable of handling the current traffic, let alone what may be present in 10 years.
      Indeed Sky seem to have got things right where others have failed - long may it continue.

rammy104 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi to all "would be " fibre users.
      Im on sky unlimited (LLU) , sky phone rental, and my cabinet is fibre enabled.
      If I try upgrading through my account Im told that Im not enabled , so I assumed I had to wait for some sky/BTO equipment to be enabled/installed. On the spur of the moment I rang Sky and got put through to the fibre team.
      I was amazed when they said I was enabled to receive fibre and would I like to place an order ? Of course I said "Yes please" and they tentatively gave me an install date of May 2nd. Having gone through all the terms and conditions the system through up an error , that after all , I couldnt receive fibre.
      This kind of baffled the very polite operator and kept me on hold for a while as she chased up the problem.
      It appears that as I was with Virgin media 6years ago , they still hold the "rights" to my number even though Ive been with BT for 6 years and last 2 months with Sky Rental. Apparently Sky are negotiating with the likes of Virgin Media to get these numbers under their wing, and only then can fibre be applied. This is expected to to be achieved enf of June, beginning of July. Talk about a roller coaster telephone call. She was very apologetic and just asked me to keep checking on the website again.
      Is this a matter of getting a kind of "mac code" from Virgin Media , and could I get it myself so as to avoid the 2 month delay ?

Hope this email makes sense to someone, as it barely males sense to me lol

Regards .. Bret

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

It makes sense to myself. Basically you took your current number from a VM line to BT, then to Sky.

Due to the politics of each provider being allocated groups of numbers, VM still hold the rights to yours.

Since you are now moving to Fibre, the systems aren't yet in place for Sky to use the number on your SBUF line.

Politics!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

rammy104 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willowcroft
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks Scubbie..... .... Guess if I agreed to a landline number change Id be ok. mmmm Just my luck by the time the "politics" has been resolved the fibre cabinet will be fully allocated. !
      Aint life complicated ? lol

andijames is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Afternoon all,

Just had a general question which i thought fitted well into this thread.

Anyone have an idea when the new router is sent out? The only reason i ask is that last time i had no broadband for about 5 days after i was activated due to them not shipping my router but i left it until a few days before the line went live as i thought this was 'normal'. Just want to try avoid that kind of incident again that's all

Cheers

A

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast