Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Like Tree24Likes

The Official 'I Can't Get Sky Fibre Yet' thread

This is a discussion on The Official 'I Can't Get Sky Fibre Yet' thread within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by fazedup Plusnet is BT Sure BT owns PlusNet, but they have a different Customer Service department. I ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: The Official 'I Can't Get Sky Fibre Yet' thread

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      Plusnet is BT
      Sure BT owns PlusNet, but they have a different Customer Service department.

I don't know if the late night calls are dealt with in another country, but the rest of the time they are dealt with in the UK, Yorkshire to be accurate.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sure BT owns PlusNet, but they have a different Customer Service department.

I don't know if the late night calls are dealt with in another country, but the rest of the time they are dealt with in the UK, Yorkshire to be accurate.
      You're quite correct. "Good, honest* broadband, from Yorkshire"

* Apart from when we sold a truely unlimited broadband package, forced a change of T's & C's on our customers, took away that unlimited package, then had the audacity to lie through our teeth and deny we ever sold that product

It was a long time ago, but never have I been so burned by a company. I'll never forgive, or forget.

"Those who forget their history, are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Rant over.

I'm sure you're right, their call centres are in the UK.
      Scubbie likes this.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Thanks

I'm not arguing over the change in policy. TBF I think that was a disgusting practise and I recall your previous posts on the topic.

However for a new customer going in with a 40GB or 120GB monthly limit, I would hope that they would be happy.

There are various other incidents over the past few years where exiting customer of an ISP have been messed about. To mind I can think of Tiscalli who were sold to TalkTalk. Ofcom got involved and force them to pay compensation in many cases. Orange cancelling their LLU service. When TalkTalk first offered free broadband, BTO made it hard for installations to go well and often contracts were broken. VM have decided to ignore agreements made by the cable companies the it bought out. The result is that some areas were left with no Freeview and others with no Cable connection.

I am sure that there are many more and that we shall have more come in the future.
      fazedup likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I'm not arguing over the change in policy. TBF I think that was a disgusting practise and I recall your previous posts on the topic.

However for a new customer going in with a 40GB or 120GB monthly limit, I would hope that they would be happy.

There are various other incidents over the past few years where exiting customer of an ISP have been messed about. To mind I can think of Tiscalli who were sold to TalkTalk. Ofcom got involved and force them to pay compensation in many cases. Orange cancelling their LLU service. When TalkTalk first offered free broadband, BTO made it hard for installations to go well and often contracts were broken. VM have decided to ignore agreements made by the cable companies the it bought out. The result is that some areas were left with no Freeview and others with no Cable connection.

I am sure that there are many more and that we shall have more come in the future.
      No it's my bad, went slightly off topic somewhat.

When I hear somebody's off to Plusnet, I find it impossible to remain neutrally unbiased and give advice without prejudice.
      Ignore my ramblings

But I do stand by my initial observations, 40gb coupled with FTTC is a completely unbalanced package.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

But I do stand by my initial observations, 40gb coupled with FTTC is a completely unbalanced package.
      Totally agree, thats like having a ferrari and only 200 metres of road to drive it on.
      Moxey, Lupa, jayhab and 2 others like this.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Pipex did something similar to me a few years back. I signed up for "unlimited" and within a month I received a letter telling me that I was going to be disconnected (No offer to stop downloading or anything)

I swiftly cancelled the direct debit and refused to pay them another penny for blatant mis-advertising. Cheeky. Then, they started contacting me over the telephone stating that they were wanting the rest of the money for the term of the contract!! (~40 a month, 18 month contract, I THINK) (although I was at work, my Dad would answer the phone and tell them to put it in writing as it wasn't his connection (I paid for it)) and they never did put anything in writing. I think this is because they knew damn well I'd put up a fight because of the mis-advertising.

Never heard another word about it.

However, I'd have fought them to the death over it just on principle. Unlimited, my fat backside.

sicknote is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I live 50 yards from the main exchange and can't get fibre.......the exchange is live.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

You won't get FTTC if you live 50 yards from the exchange. Chances are you'll be plumbed directly into the exchange.

sicknote is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I phoned BT earlier to ask if I was direct to the exchange but the person I spoke to seemed to have left her brain in the house. Tried AdamLC's checker and got this:-

Exchange Code
      WSHAM
      Exchange Name
      HAMILTON
      Area Postcode
      ML36AL
      Cabinet Number
      Direct Exchange Connection
      No
      Percentage of Lines Serving Postcode
      1%
      Uplift
      Phase
      7b
      Deployed
      YES
      Fibre Type
      FTTC

Thanks

It is possible that Sky will expand their FTTP trial before the end of the year, or actually move to launch it fully.

Should this happen, then you could see if the are interested in installing a FTTP connection directly from the telephone exchange.

Of course any other ISP who is selling or trialling FTTP products is free to do this too.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast