Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Like Tree11Likes

Just ordered with BT - price difference minimal

This is a discussion on Just ordered with BT - price difference minimal within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Right, fed up with the inconsisten results from BT 's online checker - I decided to phone them up. According ...

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Just ordered with BT - price difference minimal

Right, fed up with the inconsisten results from BT's online checker - I decided to phone them up.

According to the guy I spoke to I couldn't get BT Infinity at all but he was willing to sell me "unlimited ADSL" (which would still require my line to be switched back to BT) for the same price as BT Infinity 2 for 26pm.

2. Advertisement
      mwatch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWNVW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

I dont care if I get 300mb I wish I stayed with Sky now - the sale's lies are unreal and the customer service is abysmal - I can only pray I get a good connection soon as my 18mths are up I'll be back at Sky as they'll have 80/20 then. BT are worse than your double glazing, your chugger and your secondhand car sales man put together. If you don't get a good connection your fubar - unlike with sky who you can contact and they will sort issues out.

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwatch View Post
      I dont care if I get 300mb I wish I stayed with Sky now - the sale's lies are unreal and the customer service is abysmal - I can only pray I get a good connection soon as my 18mths are up I'll be back at Sky as they'll have 80/20 then. BT are worse than your double glazing, your chugger and your secondhand car sales man put together. If you don't get a good connection your fubar - unlike with sky who you can contact and they will sort issues out.
      BT Fubar Fibre

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Thanks

Rofl thought that would raise a smile - yip Fubar Fibre - jokes aside the service (connection) may be great don't know until I'm connected - but the customer service is fubar - they don't even know the terms themselves and make them up. A few online sales chats with them will confirm that to anyone - they love the yes you got 14 days to cancel spiel which of course is lies. Anyhoots gang hope everyone's looking forward to their fibre - its going to be so fast - its been a long time coming :-) One thing I've learned with all isp's is that if you wish to take out their product do not phone sales - do the opposite and phone cancellations / retentions , find out your options and if your happy then buy and nine times out of ten that person who does know the terms and also often has access to better deals as they know them all for retention will get you signed up with no billy bs banter.

I did something similar with holiday insurance once, years ago, when I took the misses and kids travelling I phone the help line saying we've had a serious accident in thailand and we are skint - OMG the replies so did not match the BS on their websites and their sales nonsense. Many did not answer the phone, others yep sort it out yourself and keep the paper work for us. These were all high street banks etc (but hey look how they turned out) but one, just one out of the 18 I tried delievered - Nationwide, I'll never forget the women she was instantly on it, we'll have a rep there in 3hrs, you don't pay for anything you're covered we'll sort it - I had to tell her as quick as possible that I was lying and why - she said we'll fair play, she asked how others responded and I told her they were shocking, she wasnt suprised and laughed and asked would I like the insurance I said damn right. Felt great travelling around all those countries then knowing they got your back. Now I do it all the time with every insurance - its mad the difference between the reality and sale - kind of sad too that so many can rip you off - guess that's why we are rip off britain - I do feel like I'm tempting fate though and don't want to wind up death lol - but good compaines are like needles in haystacks these days.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I would have thought if you had any hassle with BT you should be able to get out of the contract very easily.

A verbal contract would hold up just as good as a written one, you have clearly got the transcript, and that made you decide (or formed the basis of the sale) to go forward, as you figured that you were being told the truth and those options were indeed there.

Forget the fanbois over there, I would love to see a judge rule in favour of BT if anything did happen.

I feel sorry for the people who are told over the phone, and have no proof that the T and C's were amended by a member of BT verbally.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Yip newsreader - you're right but in reality I'd have fight on my hands, they'd make my life hard work and getting connected with a new provider would be hassle as they'd not release my phone line - it would be ages before it gets sorted and I'd be battling it for donkeys. Not worth it, as I'd prefer to channel that energy into other things in my life - but I will not renew with them. If my speeds are dire then I will fight it - I have already logged the complaint with their complaints section and the log of the sale, is being mailed to them and I've stated this is part of my contract as the person was a BT employee and sold the product to me on that basis. This is also why they only let you pay by direct debit - harder to fight them without the credit card section 75 legislation for your broadband. Luckily I did pay with CC for the line rental - so that would make it easier to get the money back - but I already know they'll be a nightmare. So I'm going to take my chances - I made my bed - I knew the customer service issues - if my speeds are good then I'm ok and will jump back to sky when they go 80/20 :-) Once bitten and all that ;-)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hence why I would never ever give BT any more money than I have to, definitely would never have broadband off them.

Our phone bill used to be over 200 a month, and I rang them after a few years to see if there were any cheaper options. Eventually after about 4 hours of trying, I managed to find out that I could pay extra per month and get free calls (unlimited) everyday and over the weekend etc - Since changing to taht baout 2 years or so ago, my average bill is about 23 a month - A huge difference.

People will say its my fault for not acting on it before, which in a way is, but a nice friendly letter from BT saying, do you realise thtat you could be saving circa 180 a month for paying us a fiver or so, would have gone a long way. They did this for business customers, constantly checked your spend and recommended the best savings, as I had about 6 lines. For a home user, they just do not care. if Busby was still there, there would be none of this nonsense.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

A story on the TV a couple of months back (strangely I think it was Rip Off Britain) mentioned how someone had been paying to rent their telephone from BT for over 20 years.

The same phone retailed at under 10 and they'd been paying the rental fee with their bill all this time.

BT Retail are just very happy to take your money, but they won't help their customers to reduce their bills.

It is worth mentioning that Sky only recently introduced the tool to enable people to be notified if their phone calls exceed a preset figure. There is no facility to stop the calls when you go over, as far as I can see. The feature hasn't been well advertised either, as far as I know.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

LOL - someone else, on another forum, who works for BT checked for me at work and reckoned I could get 56Mbps (AVERAGE) for my post code. Forgot to give him my house number for him to check more accurately.

EDIT: He has now checked against my house number and is saying I can get what the Sky/BT checkers say ie 34Mbps. Not as good as the 56Mbps but certainly better than the BT phone rep's statement of "you can't get it at all"
      Last edited by AdamBrunt; 19-04-12 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks

lol well I'll see what I'll get tomorrow - fingers crossed :-)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456