Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Like Tree11Likes

Just ordered with BT - price difference minimal

This is a discussion on Just ordered with BT - price difference minimal within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Gone to BT also - from all the reviews I read including many who use p2p and usenet heavily - ...

mwatch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWNVW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Just ordered with BT - price difference minimal

Gone to BT also - from all the reviews I read including many who use p2p and usenet heavily - it seems you can't compare the ADSL package to this (ie BT spying, capping, throttling and dire CS). There are no restrictions on the lines other than P2p in the evening until 12. Usenet comes down at full hit regardless if your SSL or not. P2p can come down full hit in the restricted time if your behind a vpn. So for me I've been quoted that I'll get 78mb down 20up. 20 up could prove usefull for me running a media server I can access when working away etc Also the price worked out ok and my order is currently tracking at 50 off on quidco - I paid for line rental for a year and get the normal free eveing weekend calls. Getting 80/20 for the same coin I thought hmmmm no brainer, by the time sky up things and have more to offer I'm guessing my 18mths will be up lol and I can look again. Also if your not happy with fibre you can cancel upto 14days from when you go live and have a your line rental refunded should you wish and also not be locked to BT. Personally I prefer Sky, I like the service and their online set up, phone support is great too - but the speed and line rental was my issue. Got 5 pc's networked at home - they'll all be happy with the streaming now. I jsut feel that Sky arent into the fibre, and are only doing this because the competition are - it will effect the sat tv, given the choice I think they wish fibre didnt exist. Regardless of who we all go with I just hope that it works out for all of us and we all get to enjoy the benefits of fibre. As the doc say's you cant get enough fibre :-)

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fibreman View Post
      That's interesting about the attainable being 90/30.

Did you notice a significant improvement when you the 40/10 limit was removed? (I doubt if it would be that noticeable on browsing, due to 40/10 being pretty quick anyway)
      Browsing you will not see any difference full stop there wasn't too much going from ADSL2+ as I had approx 10-12 anyways.

But steam games will fly onto your hard drive and given I get 8 megabyes/sec on downloads even 1gig only takes a couple of mins, it usually takes longer for Kaspersky to scan a download than it does to get it.

I also have about 20 internet enabled devices and there is plenty of bandwidth now for all the users in the house.

I also run a FTP server and a slingbox and when I am away from my house I am not worried about my speed uploading to the net, it is now just limited to the local download speed.
      NewsreadeR likes this.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      I also run a FTP server and a slingbox and when I am away from my house I am not worried about my speed uploading to the net, it is now just limited to the local download speed.
      These are valid reasons why I would love a faster connection too.

I installed Skifta on my NAS and phone the other day. Once I have managed to correctly configure the two I should be able to stream content directly from my NAS to my phone where ever I might be.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      These are valid reasons why I would love a faster connection too.

I installed Skifta on my NAS and phone the other day. Once I have managed to correctly configure the two I should be able to stream content directly from my NAS to my phone where ever I might be.
      lol Scubbie your house is like a Cloud storage centre with all those drives I dont think any speed would be fast enough
      NewsreadeR likes this.

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      That like a home made sling box? :-)

Sent using TapaTalk for iPhone

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mwatch View Post
      Also the price worked out ok and my order is currently tracking at 50 off on quidco - I paid for line rental for a year and get the normal free eveing weekend calls.
      If you need to go back to BT for line rental, you can actually get 85 off via Quidco so even better

Quidco alternatively do a "4 months free broadband and anytime calls" offer which by my reckoning works out even better at; 3 x 24.95 + 30.95 = 105.80 off

One thing I am wondering though, I am sure I read on here that is not easy going from Sky's LLU back to BT. Or am I imagining that ?

LOL - the BT Infinity Checker says I now can only get 34Mbps (it said this yesterday afternoon before going up to 66Mbps last night)
      Last edited by AdamBrunt; 13-04-12 at 06:41 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      lol Scubbie your house is like a Cloud storage centre with all those drives I dont think any speed would be fast enough
      pmsl - You are probably right There are plenty who have a lot more storage space than me though.

Quote Originally Posted by williammorris View Post
      That like a home made sling box? :-)
      Essentially it lets me connect to all the DLNA servers on my home LAN whilst away. These include the NAS drive, my torrent PC (since it is running Serviio) and my two laptops (although there isn't much content on them).

However I think that I need to check the port forwarding as I can see the devices on my phone when on a 3G connection, but I can't stream the content. I can stream the content when on the same LAN though.

Sling Box lets you view live content and change channels from a remote location.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

transmission1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYBNN
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      One thing I am wondering though, I am sure I read on here that is not easy going from Sky's LLU back to BT. Or am I imagining that ?
      Shouldn't really be an issue. I've just signed with BT Infinity today and I'm on full Sky LLU. Have been given a date of 30th April 2012 for the engineer install and line activation.
      On the contrary it should be easier because you don't need to obtain a MAC from Sky to pull the line back to BT as it's like ordering a totally new service, ie line and fibre.

I've no problem with Sky at all. They have provided the best ADSL 2+ service I have ever had from any ISP. I just needed to order Infinity as I like the idea of the 80/20 service as I'm after a better upstream.
      Sky's 2 Mbps upload just doesn't cut it any longer as it's not much better than standard ADSL 2+ for the money. That said, in 18 months time if Sky can offer the 80/20 packages at the right price I might come back. Still keeping my TV package anyway..
      mwatch likes this.

mwatch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWNVW
      Thanks

My thoughts exactly trassmission1. Mine is the 23rd I'm LLu Sky, but I did need a mac code which sky supplied instantly. Likewise if Sky are better in 18mths I'll be back, if BT fail within the cancellation period I'll be back :-)

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Yes because no one can match Sky for TV - that's a fact

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast