Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Like Tree26Likes

Believe in better

This is a discussion on Believe in better within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by fazedup EDIT: Still think you jumped ship a little too soon, I'm certain Sky will catch up, ...

Fibreman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Believe in better

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      EDIT: Still think you jumped ship a little too soon, I'm certain Sky will catch up, they always do.
      That's my point. Sky always catch-up. Why can't they be technology leaders instead?

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That is a very risky course of action given that there are reports of some Sky LLU exchanges not being ready for fibre due to having older equipment.

I would be very ticked off going from Fibre to ADSL2+ and then being told fibre not avaliable.

Sky have had months to set this up and yet it's order time and they are still not ready.
      speedyrite likes this.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I pointed out in another post recently that the bureaucratic systems are not yet in place to allow people to switch between BTW Fibre products and LLU Fibre products.

This is something that Ofcom will no doubt get involved with.

In the mean time you will need to cancel your existing Fibre product and then, when the line is clear, you can order a new Fibre product.

This would be different when switching between two ISPs who both completely use BTW systems.

As for people choosing to go to BT Retail (i.e. Infinity) now - No problem. In the coming months we shall see which was the better choice. Very few can manage to stream lots of data on a regular basis and at the end of the day you should choose what it best for you based upon the available information.

Sky knew that BTO were doubling the speeds. They knew that BT Retail would introduce an 80/20 product. They knew that VM had doubled their speeds. If they want to be so conservative and let the competition jump first, then I guess that they can't be accused of wanting to dominate the UK for broadband, like they are for TV.
      Ipster likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I found this whilst doing some "research" recently on the mechanics of migration from one ISP to another:

Ofcom migration processes

It doesn't specifically make mention of fttc, but various scenarios are covered (e.g. LLU to LLU).
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Btw, even though I've ordered from BT, I still have the option to change my mind up to the 30th - just in case Sky come up with a competitive 80 / 20 offering before then:

From BT T&C...

Cancellation

1. You may cancel your agreement for the service before the service start date set out in the service terms. If you do so we will not charge you for the service

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sky knew that BTO were doubling the speeds. They knew that BT Retail would introduce an 80/20 product. They knew that VM had doubled their speeds. If they want to be so conservative and let the competition jump first, then I guess that they can't be accused of wanting to dominate the UK for broadband, like they are for TV.
      What they didn't know was that BT would offer the new profile for no extra charge. This seems to be what stumped them. I find it very strange that they hadn't planned for that scenario.

Btw, I don't know how long BT will get away with advertising a doubling of speeds. I don't think this will be viewed well by Ofcom, considering most people getting 38-39MB today are unlikely to get 76-78MB on the new profile. They've doubled the upper limit, but not doubled the actual speed. I can see the wording changing in due course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      I found this whilst doing some "research" recently on the mechanics of migration from one ISP to another:

Ofcom migration processes

It doesn't specifically make mention of fttc, but various scenarios are covered (e.g. LLU to LLU).
      The page does deal specifically with ADSL:

Shared LLU: Where only your broadband service is provided using LLU. Also known as SMPF (Shared Metallic Path Facilities)Full LLU: Where you have your voice and broadband service is provided using LLU. Also known as full MPF (Metallic Path Facilities)
      ...or at least that is my take on it. 'Shared metallic' or 'full metallic' paths to me means copper telephone lines. There appeared to be nothing for Fibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibreman View Post
      What they didn't know was that BT would offer the new profile for no extra charge. This seems to be what stumped them. I find it very strange that they hadn't planned for that scenario.
      Sorry, I meant to say that. However it was predictable and they obviously hadn't planned properly for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibreman View Post
      Btw, I don't know how long BT will get away with advertising a doubling of speeds. I don't think this will be viewed well by Ofcom, considering most people getting 38-39MB today are unlikely to get 76-78MB on the new profile. They've doubled the upper limit, but not doubled the actual speed. I can see the wording changing in due course.
      Well they can still say that they are faster than Sky

As for doubling the actual connection speed, this does get more confusing. If we look at most of the SBUF trialists, with the new technology, most have achieved a 40mb connection with very few exceptions. Last year FTTC would have given many a connection speed below 35mb. With the new signal tech. being used, speeds vary hugely from below 40mb up to 80mb. My friend's connection shows up at 55mb down and around 10mb up.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      My friend's connection shows up at 55mb down and around 10mb up.
      BT are quoting me the same 55 down, but with 18 up. Seems strange to me that downstream could be the same (as your friend), when upstream is so different.

Thanks

This is a copy of the results given for her connection:

Believe in better-bb-checker-results.jpg

For the record she used to get around 9mb on BT and now gets 15.8mb with Sky.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

VDSL2 is a lot more sensitive than ADSL technologies, it has a bigger drop off in signal over distance. Crosstalk also affects it more than ADSL2+and even wire diameter can be now more significant as well as possible dodgy connections.

Also Aluminium lines will be affected worse than copper but due to the shorter line lengths it means areas like Basingstoke can finally get half decent speeds.

This is why the checker is pretty conservative as there are so many more variables and what my line reports may be very different to my neighbour. Especially as I was on the ADSL trial in the late 90's and I got a brand new line installed then.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast