Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Origin shows what speeds VDSL2 can achieve

This is a discussion on Origin shows what speeds VDSL2 can achieve within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; One question that needs to be answered is how are the distances from the cabinet measured. If it from your ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Origin shows what speeds VDSL2 can achieve

One question that needs to be answered is how are the distances from the cabinet measured. If it from your home to the first BTO green street cabinet, or the distance from your home to the FTTC cabinet, via the first green street cabinet. Anyway, this table may help some people to get a good idea what to expect from FTTC connections:

thinkbroadband :: Origin shows what speeds VDSL2 can achieve
      Digital Region broadband providers are ensuring they are not left behind in the speed competition, as Origin Broadband has announced the details of its faster than 40 Mbps service Origin Max. The £35.50 per month service will run VDSL2 at the fastest possible speeds, so while some will receive 50Mbps, 70Mbps, there will be some managing to break the mythical 100 Mbps barrier. Pre-orders for the Max product are being taken now, with activations starting 1st May 2012.
      The product page includes a dozen example speeds along with distance to the cabinet measured for lines which have had the service activated, and these help to show what VDSL2 is capable of in the UK.

Distance to Cabinet Downstream Upstream
      147 m 106 Mbps 22 Mbps
      171 m 121 Mbps 27 Mbps
      183 m 98 Mbps 9 Mbps
      245 m 104 Mbps 21.6 Mbps
      248 m 107 Mbps 27 Mbps
      269 m 98 Mbps 27 Mbps
      392 m 81.5 Mbps 19.8 Mbps
      416 m 96 Mbps 30 Mbps
      490 m 76 Mbps 24.2 Mbps
      612 m 56 Mbps 22 Mbps
      857 m 32 Mbps 8.5 Mbps
      1372 m 22 Mbps 1.7 Mbps

The suggestion from these figures is that if the distance from your home to the street cabinet is under 400 metre long, then speeds around the 80 Mbps mark should be possible. The performance all the way out to 1000m (1km) is interesting as it looks like 25 Mbps is possible, and with 90% of telephone lines having 1km or less of cable to their street cabinet, the scale of the difference VDSL2 offers compared to ADSL2+ becomes apparent.
      Ipster likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Thanks

Re: Origin shows what speeds VDSL2 can achieve

The guys behind origin broadband must have spent a small fortune on the infrastructure of their company. The have built fibre cabinets specifically for their own network. I wonder what their backhaul is like? While sly have their own top class network they still have bottlenecks at the BT shared fibre cabinets.

​BT Infinity 2 51369/14357
      Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/10000
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/1999
      Sky Broadband Unlimited 10487/1049

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Well they won't have actually spent their own money as such

Build it and they will come...

The Digital Region project

THE PROJECT

Superfast South Yorkshire

South Yorkshire received funding from the European Union to build a world class superfast broadband network, for a number of important reasons.
      The future is digital

Prior to the Digital Region network, the existing broadband providers did not plan to deliver ‘superfast’ broadband to South Yorkshire for many years. The consequences of this would have been disastrous for the region and seriously restricted businesses, home users and the economy. Because of this South Yorkshire decided to act.
      Council and business leaders came together and began work on finding a solution to the problem.
      The funding

A proposal was drawn up to build a communications network that would be owned and managed within the region and make South Yorkshire a UK leader in digital communications.
      European Regional Development Funding (ERDF) was awarded and South Yorkshire became one of the first areas in the world to embark on a superfast broadband project of this scale.
      Partners include Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council, Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council and Sheffield City Council. The project has brought in a staggering £90m of funding, the majority coming from the European Union, the partners and also the private sector.
      The build

Building a superfast fibre optic network of this size is a huge undertaking.
      The build started in 2008 and ‘phase one’ of the project to reach 80% of homes and businesses in South Yorkshire is on schedule to be completed in December 2011.
      But that’s not where the project ends. The Digital Region network will continue to develop and eventually reach a massive 97% of the entire region.
      Thanks to Digital Region, South Yorkshire now has a communications infrastructure to rival any in the world, and the region is in pole position to take advantage of the opportunities presented by the digital economy.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

paulkerdot (08-04-12)

Router Fan Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      One question that needs to be answered is how are the distances from the cabinet measured. If it from your home to the first BTO green street cabinet, or the distance from your home to the FTTC cabinet, via the first green street cabinet. Anyway, this table may help some people to get a good idea what to expect from FTTC connections
      They don't use Openreach! It is a private company.

Originb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Origin Broadband
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

All the measurements are from the FTTC cabinet to the end users premises so the system measured electrical length of the line.

Regards,
      Origin Broadband

www.origin-broadband.co.uk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Originb For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (08-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Originb View Post
      Hi Scubbie,

All the measurements are from the FTTC cabinet to the end users premises so the system measured electrical length of the line.

Regards,
      Origin Broadband
      Mr Origin

Do you have your own backhaul network from the exchange out to the internet at large or do you use someone else's?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Router Fan Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Router Fan View Post
      They don't use Openreach! It is a private company.
      I am happy to be proved wrong, but that it what I believed to be true.

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Router Fan View Post
      I am happy to be proved wrong, but that it what I believed to be true.
      They don't use Openreach they have their own fibre ring around Sheffield. I used to be on it. It's really not all that!

Mind you that was when I rented a room and I had an Ethernet port built into the wall by the desk and I just plugged in and off I went ( It was in the rent as was all the bills)

When I had a problem one of their engineers came out. Again this was in 2009

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulkerdot View Post
      ...While sly have their own top class network they still have bottlenecks at the BT shared fibre cabinets.
      Following the various pages on the web (many of whom have had links posted on the forum) I would suggest that you have a personal connection from your home, to the cabinet and on to the exchange. From there it will be joined to Sky's LLU equipment via a 1Gbit Ethernet connection. It will be at this point that you would expect traffic problems, if any, to come in to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Originb View Post
      Many thanks for your input. Would you be able to comment on how well your figure could compare to BTO speeds?

I appreciate that the quality of the copper (and sometimes aluminium) cables will vary more than you own systems. Also would you be able to comment as to whether Sky will someday have access to your infrastructure? PM me if need be.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

delete

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast