Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree26Likes

Virgin throttles broadband for high-speed customers

This is a discussion on Virgin throttles broadband for high-speed customers within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I don't care about their speed upgrades (I'm on 30MB soon to be 60) and I don't care for the ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Virgin throttles broadband for high-speed customers

I don't care about their speed upgrades (I'm on 30MB soon to be 60) and I don't care for the STM as it never affects me but even if it did I would still get my current speeds (30Mb) which is almost 8x than what Sky provided.
      Not a fanboy, but in my eyes, if you are getting 60meg for approx 18.50 per month and you are happy with it, then that is fine. The snag is, you are probably like me, not really interested in the headline speed or the download speed etc as tbh I hardly use the internet. Whereas a lot of people now just download the internet and also want it now.

There are a lot of horror stories for Sky as also VM but the snag is both use different technologies, so it is like comparing apples to oranges.

I did think maybe Sky would initially offer a couple of packages, but tbh I don't think they will on launch though now.

The moral of the story, both ISPs suit different people ideally, for completely different reasons.

For the record, yours would be 10x faster than my connection for only 6 a month more.
      scorp43 likes this.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

scorp43 (05-04-12)

3. Advertisement
      williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by scorp43 View Post
      but even if it did I would still get my current speeds (30Mb)
      Please try it tomorrow my friend and then report back. I guarantee you won't get anywhere near! The proof as they say is in the pudding.fixed quote tag
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-04-12 at 12:09 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Fanboy bitchfit?

I posted correct information so I do believe my comment 'has a point'. I don't believe Sky will change their product on launch as their margins are not that great for their current fibre offering when taking BTO's pricing into consideration. Anyway, why would Sky improve the product and sell it for the same price when it's going to cost them even more to provide?

As for the other comment about VM's reliability, just because you have a problem don't assume everyone else does! I've been with many different ISPs and VM is the only one that can provide me with a consistent service as well as the advertised speeds. I don't care about their speed upgrades (I'm on 30MB soon to be 60) and I don't care for the STM as it never affects me but even if it did I would still get my current speeds (30Mb) which is almost 8x than what Sky provided. With no BT fibre coming my way VM is the only provider I can rely on for my internet needs.

I would like to say that unlike some of you guys on here I'm not a fanboy of any provider (I have Sky TV, a BT line and VM broadband) and have no problem slagging off a service if it deserves it.

LOL I'm no fan boy!! I was making the point AT the fan boy and once again Newsreader said it more tactfully than I did

My point was the SKY FTTC hasnt even been officially released. until that happens whats the point fan boy bashing it......

Sky have said they might get packet shaped by BT, we wont know until the 12th.

As for virgin, loads of my mates are on virgin, the only real problem they face is the jitter when overloaded.

I dont even think fibre is 'better' than ADSL. Faster is obviously better ONLY if you need 12gig in 40 mins rather than a whole day...

My previous ADSL product was 10mb. more than enough to do everything I do tbh. Fibre offered a better, more stable ping and faster speeds to dl so i wont be effected dl anytime or sky go when the wife is streaming BBCi player and such.

I'm sorry for Trolololololololoing felix but I just couldnt resist

I'll go get back in my cage now knowing all is right with the world and that every product has its place. DONT forget WITHOUT VM and competition we wouldnt have have the toys we do have

scorp43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMVIC
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williammorris View Post
      Please try it tomorrow my friend and then report back. I guarantee you won't get anywhere near! The proof as they say is in the pudding.fixed quote tag
      Lucky for you I have a day off and here is my first speedtest result

I have to say you were kind of right, I'm not getting 30Mb down, it's actually 31Mb.
      Last edited by scorp43; 05-04-12 at 01:51 AM.

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Lucky for you I have a day off and here's is my first speedtest result

I have to say you were kind of right, I'm not getting 30Mb down, it's actually 31Mb.
      I'm getting full speed too but I have not hit the STM for this period yet - have you? If you are getting 31 after hitting the STM (which would be odd as you said you are still on 30) then that's brill!

The problem comes with the STM not before it. I'd expect you to get 31 before the STM as I get 108 before.

Let me know what it's like when you get hit on the STM.

Thanks

I'm getting full speed too but I have not hit the STM for this period yet - have you? If you are getting 31 after hitting the STM (which would be odd as you said you are still on 30) then that's brill!

The problem comes with the STM not before it. I'd expect you to get 31 before the STM as I get 108 before.

Let me know what it's like when you get hit on the STM.
      You seem to have move the goal posts! There was no mention of STM from you before. I've been using my connection all day and I haven't hit the STM trigger and I'm not going to just for you.

Anyway here is my second set of results

As you'll see speeds have slightly improved and there's no ping, that's with it being a busier part of the day when more people in my area are also likely to be using their connection.

Thanks

And my final one today, so as you can see I got full speeds at all times of the day even with my household usage which I feel is quite more than an average household.

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

You seem to have move the goal posts! There was no mention of STM from you before. I've been using my connection all day and I haven't hit the STM trigger and I'm not going to just for you.

Anyway here is my second set of results

As you'll see speeds have slightly improved and there's no ping, that's with it being a busier part of the day when more people in my area are also likely to be using their connection.
      I didn't ask you to rob a bank! - there's no need to be so rude and defensive!.

So you didn't hit the limit so you didn't get STM'd fair enough - that's ALL you had to say!

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I didn't ask you to rob a bank! - there's no need to be so rude and defensive!.

So you didn't hit the limit so you didn't get STM'd fair enough - that's ALL you had to say!
      Anyway we all get the hint about the new measures VM have taken, virgin are clearly happy with what they have done and only time will tell if their current users agree. Virgin have until April 10th been able to say they are ultra fast and the only ISP to offer speeds like that. BTO will allow ISP's who offer fibre products to order 80/20 packages and virgin will no longer have the huge speed increase that they used to have.

It will be intersting to see in 12 months if its customers a) got a better user expereince due to the new meaures b) if it made people jump ship c) what their average speed was

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Come on now guys, chill out a bit no need to 'heat' this thread up
      NewsreadeR, Angel_Rex and scorp43 like this.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast