Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is missing so I can't get sky fibre

This is a discussion on What is missing so I can't get sky fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I've just come of the phone to a very helpful person at sky, I tried the old **** and ...

alienaeon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01872
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What is missing so I can't get sky fibre

Hi

I've just come of the phone to a very helpful person at sky, I tried the old **** and bull story about moving to BT as I want fibre in the hope she would let me have sky fibre, at first it seemed to work, she took all my details and then told me it was unavaible to me and the exchange isn't set up! I was under the impression that any exchange that supports FTTC, the cabinet is enabled (mine was enabled yesterday) and sky have there equipment in the exchange (there is I have sky LLU now) could get fibre broadband, was I wrong to assume that, I asked her when it was likely I would get sky fibre and she basiclly said she has no idea as BT don't release the lines right away because they look after there own customers first before allowing other companys on.

So unless somebody tells me otherwise I am going to be forced to head to BT as I'm tired of being stuck on 5mbs when I could have almost 40mbs so I'm not going to play a long waiting game with sky.

2. Advertisement
      fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: What is missing so I can't get sky fibre

Quote Originally Posted by alienaeon View Post
      Hi

I've just come of the phone to a very helpful person at sky, I tried the old **** and bull story about moving to BT as I want fibre in the hope she would let me have sky fibre, at first it seemed to work, she took all my details and then told me it was unavaible to me and the exchange isn't set up! I was under the impression that any exchange that supports FTTC, the cabinet is enabled (mine was enabled yesterday) and sky have there equipment in the exchange (there is I have sky LLU now) could get fibre broadband, was I wrong to assume that, I asked her when it was likely I would get sky fibre and she basiclly said she has no idea as BT don't release the lines right away because they look after there own customers first before allowing other companys on.

So unless somebody tells me otherwise I am going to be forced to head to BT as I'm tired of being stuck on 5mbs when I could have almost 40mbs so I'm not going to play a long waiting game with sky.
      Are you 100% sure that you're connected to that particular cabinet, and absolutely certain that it's live? How do you know that?

Could possibily be the BT havn't updated their systems to show that your cabinet has now been enabled, as it was only yesterday.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

As fazed up said, at least give it a week or to before you make the jump to BT and their heavy traffic shaping
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

Thanks

I know it's live because BT infinaty checker shows I can get it now as well as Zen and talk talk, plusnet's freezes weirdly every time I give it my address (does anyone know of one that does sky phone numbers because I'm stuck using the postcode search), I've been checking it nearly every day for the last 4 months (a bit sad I know).
      I guess I can wait a week and see what happens when sky lauch the service proberley before I make my mind up, I've waited this long I can wait a tad longer.
      Also a friend up the road can get FTTP @ 100mbs on the same exchange but a different cabinet (I didn't believe him but postcode checked it and he can), will that ever become an option for me or is it going to be one or the other?

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I did exactly the same as you last week. I also got through to the fibre team after a few questions about what I did with my broadband and if I would benefit from a fibre product. They did a check and they said it's not available to me even tho I told them we were fibre enabled since the beginning of March and my exchange is sky LLU. I have sky talk so that wasn't a problem, they just said it's not set up yet. The question is, how long is it before BT except other providers after there enabled.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky's systems maynot be updated possibly, there is a rumour that their own checker will appear on their website very soon.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Thats good news, I will keep an eye on sky's site, I was starting to worry BT had some sort of monopoly down here in cornwall because of the specail funding they put in.

Many Thanks

joew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      As fazed up said, at least give it a week or to before you make the jump to BT and their heavy traffic shaping
      I'd heard that BT weren't traffic shaping on fibre, just well documented on ADSL?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Before you can get Sky Fibre your exchange must be upgraded to the latest Sky equipment. ie, you must be on the SVBN, not just have Sky rental and Talk. There are still a few exchanges which are not upgraded. This is an on going exercise.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Before you can get Sky Fibre your exchange must be upgraded to the latest Sky equipment. ie, you must be on the SVBN, not just have Sky rental and Talk. There are still a few exchanges which are not upgraded. This is an on going exercise.
      I should have mentioned in my previous post that the guy from Sky was all ready to sign me up before he did his checks. Then Sky confirmed my exchange was SVBN/ISAM enabled as well as having FTTC too and still got told it's not in my area. We will see on the 12th if there's a probem with recently updated cabinets or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast