Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Talk

This is a discussion on Sky Talk within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I currently have Sky tv {15 years} and Sky unlimited broadband {5 years} but still have BT as my phone ...

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Talk

I currently have Sky tv {15 years} and Sky unlimited broadband {5 years} but still have BT as my phone supplier which, for various reasons, I wish to keep. My exchange {which is LLU by Sky} is currently getting Fibre in and it should be "live" in the very near future. A BT line test has given me projected speeds of 38.8 down and 6.6 up which compared to the 2.5 down and .4 up that i have had for the last 5 years seems almost "magical" !
      I realize that full details of Sky's launch will be revealed in the next couple of weeks but just wondered if anybody had any info re Sky making it a condition of taking sky Talk in order to get fibre ? or will existing customers of sky on unlimited bb and TV without Sky Talk be able to get it.
      Fingers Crossed !

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Re: Sky Talk

Was in the same boat as you; however it was made quite clear during the ordering of fibre that you MUST take line rental with Sky in order to get SBUF. It was a no-brainer for me, 14.60 a month to BT or go to Sky and choose their version of the 12 months line rental up front for 119.40!

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skycarp View Post
      I currently have Sky tv {15 years} and Sky unlimited broadband {5 years} but still have BT as my phone supplier which, for various reasons, I wish to keep. My exchange {which is LLU by Sky} is currently getting Fibre in and it should be "live" in the very near future. A BT line test has given me projected speeds of 38.8 down and 6.6 up which compared to the 2.5 down and .4 up that i have had for the last 5 years seems almost "magical" !I realize that full details of Sky's launch will be revealed in the next couple of weeks but just wondered if anybody had any info re Sky making it a condition of taking sky Talk in order to get fibre ? or will existing customers of sky on unlimited bb and TV without Sky Talk be able to get it.Fingers Crossed !
      To get Sky Fibre you have to be on Skys SVBN (Sky's voice and broadband network). Most exchanges that have Skys LLU equipment have this now but if yours doesnt I am not sure you would be able to get their fibre product anyway.It has been confirmed on their page already that everything has to be moved over to them, and some people on the trial had their orders put on hold until their phone was put on to SVBN.Taken from Sky's current Fibre page:

Do I need a phone line to get Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre?
      Yes, you'll need a residential phone line with Sky Talk calls and Line Rental to get Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre.

In regards to Sky Fibre, the guys at SkyUser have put together some Sky Fibre FAQ, have a look it has all the info that has been released or known

Last edited by Ipster; 02-04-12 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Having a bad day with the keyboard

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I happen to think sky's line rental and talk package is decent. And the free calls to them when you need them is also very good.

If they were the same price as BT I would still happily stay with them.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I moved from BT to Sky Talk no problem because ive got SUFB and i think its a lot better than BT some great options on your phone and cheaper

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks
      Sky's line rental is cheaper than BT even if you pay for it monthly, so far the service had been ok. To be honest if I didn't need the landline for the Internet I wouldn't have one as it hardly ever gets used
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Thanks
      Same here i only need landline for BB I get that many free minutes every month on my iPhone landline will hardly be used

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Thanks

I am quite happy with Sky Talk but the one big bugbear is having to pay for 0845 numbers and they are really expensive.

​BT Infinity 2 51369/14357
      Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/10000
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/1999
      Sky Broadband Unlimited 10487/1049

Mattyjkuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willaston
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulkerdot View Post
      I am quite happy with Sky Talk but the one big bugbear is having to pay for 0845 numbers and they are really expensive.
      There are a few websites out there, where you can find alternatives to 0845, 0844 etc. I use them all the time and it's very rare when I can't find an alternative.

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyjkuk View Post
      There are a few websites out there, where you can find alternatives to 0845, 0844 etc. I use them all the time and it's very rare when I can't find an alternative.
      Yes, but not the point

​BT Infinity 2 51369/14357
      Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/10000
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/1999
      Sky Broadband Unlimited 10487/1049

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast