Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky Talk

This is a discussion on Sky Talk within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; With all contracts you need to look at the small print to see which offers the best service for your ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Sky Talk

With all contracts you need to look at the small print to see which offers the best service for your specific needs.

Since Sky doesn't offer free calls to 0845 numbers, for example, that will be a bug bear for many people.

However, if you were someone who calls America or Canada on a regular basis, then the fact that Sky offers frees calls to these places would be seen as a major benefit.

It really is horses for courses. some you win, some you lose.

BT allows you to use the text service, available on some DECT phones. Sky's SVBN doesn't support this.

I have always found Sky's customer services to be friendly, even if they get their facts wrong occasionally. As for BT's customer services, the least said the better.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

2. Advertisement
      Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With all contracts you need to look at the small print to see which offers the best service for your specific needs.

Since Sky doesn't offer free calls to 0845 numbers, for example, that will be a bug bear for many people.

However, if you were someone who calls America or Canada on a regular basis, then the fact that Sky offers frees calls to these places would be seen as a major benefit.

It really is horses for courses. some you win, some you lose.

BT allows you to use the text service, available on some DECT phones. Sky's SVBN doesn't support this.

I have always found Sky's customer services to be friendly, even if they get their facts wrong occasionally. As for BT's customer services, the least said the better.

Sky do let you speak to advisors and they are very chatty, BT put you into their telephone assault course, a very interactive IVR system that normally cuts you off at the end...

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Thanks

Phoning BT = high blood pressure. It has to be the most frustrating thing.

​BT Infinity 2 51369/14357
      Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/10000
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/1999
      Sky Broadband Unlimited 10487/1049

Thanks

lmao - I did say 'the least said the better'

I've posted previously about the agro I've had with BT India. Hanging up the phone, refusing to pass me to their supervisor, manager insulting me as a customer/human-being and an inability to correctly deal with the issue were common place when I was dealing with them.

Since I've been with Sky for more than two years now, I haven't had the issues repeated, although one salesperson on the phone didn't actually listen to what I was trying to say when I was signing up. This resulted in a complaint which was dealt with promptly after being passed to 4 other people.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thanks all for the info and input ! Looks like I might be "reluctantly" moving my phone line over to sky after all. Reading all the info re Sky Talk looks like I can transfer my existing BT phone number over to a new sky Talk one which I would defo want to do, HOWEVER just in case I went back to BT one day can anybody tell me if it is possible to transfer it back over to BT again and has anybody had any instances were a "promised" number transfer has not gone to plan ???? A friend of mine in Leeds was told that he could keep his BT number BUT when the transfer was done it was "lost" never to be found again and he ended up with a totally new number which was not what he was promised or wanted.

Thanks

Keeping your number when you move away from any LLU provider can be 'fun' at times.

There are many stories across the Internet on various forums with both sides of the story reported.

Technically if you advise both Sky and whom you are moving to that you wish to keep the number, then you should be allowed to do so. This is in accordance with Ofcom's regulations.

However this is a topic that does change as new systems are introduced and Ofcom change their regulations.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

i had my phone line with VM (their national service) before i moved to Sky SVBN and I kept my number, all went smoothly
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298

Bakepres is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You are far better off having your line with Sky anyway. The only reason not to is if you want to change your number or change ISP's in the future.

That's unlikely as Sky is hard to beat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12