Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Dilemma.. Limited Cabinet Spaces. Wait for Sky or order with another ISP now?

This is a discussion on Dilemma.. Limited Cabinet Spaces. Wait for Sky or order with another ISP now? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice. I am due to move into a new property on ...

andyp1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Dilemma.. Limited Cabinet Spaces. Wait for Sky or order with another ISP now?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice.

I am due to move into a new property on 14th April.

I am interested in signing up for the Sky fibre service (and in saying this, I am assuming that Sky will probably be offering a 40/10 service at least). However.. I have just realised Sky fibre is not available to order until April 12th.

This leaves me with a dilemma.

I would prefer to wait for Sky fibre to be released and then to sign up to it, but I am concerned about the possibility that if I do decide to wait another 12 days or so (until I am able to order fibre from Sky), maybe there will be no spaces left in the fibre cabinet I will be connected to ({NDASF}{P103}). I think each cabinet has 288 spaces available.

In the residential area we are moving to, I know that there is currently no Virgin Media service there, and the ADSL provided by Sky in the area operates at very low speeds for a lot of the residents. This tells me that a lot of the people living there will be very keen to sign up to a new fibre service. The fibre cabinet was installed some time last year (I am not sure what date 5a represents in the PCP document leaked online)

Because of this I would guess that a lot of the spaces in the cabinet have already been taken up.

I would prefer to go with Sky, however, rather than lose a space in the cabinet, I am thinking of just signing up straight away with Plusnet or BT Infinity, who both provide a fibre service. I don't really want to sign up with BT because of their poor customer service record. As for Plusnet, they look good, and I know they have amazing customer service, but I just don't think will be able to compete on price with Sky.

What does everyone think? hang in there, wait for april 12th and place an order with Sky?
      or place an order with Plusnet / BT Infinity straight away? Just in case the cabinet is almost full.

Has anyone come across any cabinets being full already?

would appreciate any advice,

thanks.

ps.. how annoying that Sky are so far behind everyone else in releasing their fibre product.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Dilemma.. Limited Cabinet Spaces. Wait for Sky or order with another ISP now?

To be perfectly fair, unless you could talk to someone who has the specific knowledge about the cabinet the you will be connected to, any answer will be purely guess work. Don't forget that Virgin Media are supposed to be launch their 100mb network from tomorrow and BTO are making up to 80/20 FTTC available from the 10th April (although after yesterday there is some doubt about this at the moment).

thinkbroadband :: BT Wholesale outage affects multiple providers

Someone else could beat you to it on the first morning that SBUF is launched and order SBUF themselves and take the last port or there may be plenty spare for both you and your neighbours.

What is going to be an issue for now though is that some cabinets across the country are already full and some people are going to be unable to connect to any Fibre product.

If you are looking for an unmetered fast fibre broadband product, that isn't slowed down when you want to actually use it, then I would suggest the SBUF is the only product around that will answer your needs.
      fazedup likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

andyp1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Dilemma.. Limited Cabinet Spaces. Wait for Sky or order with another ISP now?

thanks for the your reply, and the link to the BT Wholesale outage.

I knew when I posted that no-one could tell me how many slots would likely be left in the cabinet, but just hoped that maybe someone might know if cabinets were actually filling up. I guess the only way to know for sure, about my cabinet, would be to place an order.

It's interesting that you've heard that some of the cabinets are already full to capacity.

Regarding other ISP's. I am also very impressed with Plusnet, as their prices are good, they seem to offer great service (online and offline), they have an unlimited add-on, and they are already trialling 80/20 speeds. I am just not certain that they can meet the price likely to be offered by Sky, especially as I am considering using Sky for the TV and phone again.

It's not all about money though, and I would be happy to pay more for a good connection. I was with Sky for over a year in the past on their 20meg service, and I always had a fast and reliable unlimited connection.

I guess I am hoping that Sky will in the very near future offer a 80/20mb fibre option. If they do, and it is as reliable as my last sky broadband connection, (and of course there is still space free in the cabinet!) it will suit me fine for now.

Do you think Sky will eventually offer a FTTP product for those in an area with FTTP? I would definitely be interested. I know that Plusnet are currently trialling this option for those lucky enough to be in a city where FTTP is available.
      Last edited by andyp1; 31-03-12 at 10:30 PM.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Most members tend to suggest PlusNet when Sky's LLU equipment is not available for ADSL products. I haven't looked too much at their Fibre range. PlusNet are now owned by BT, but trade independently.

Sky started some FTTP trials in the South Harrow area July last year. Nothing much has been heard since.

I would suggest that eventually all the copper wiring will be replaced by Fibre across the country. This will mean that Sky will have to adopt an FTTP product if they intend to stay in the broadband market. With all the current investment that they have made, I can't see them leaving very soon.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyp1 View Post
      thanks for the your reply, and the link to the BT Wholesale outage.

I knew when I posted that no-one could tell me how many slots would likely be left in the cabinet, but just hoped that maybe someone might know if cabinets were actually filling up. I guess the only way to know for sure, about my cabinet, would be to place an order.

It's interesting that you've heard that some of the cabinets are already full to capacity.

Regarding other ISP's. I am also very impressed with Plusnet, as their prices are good, they seem to offer great service (online and offline), they have an unlimited add-on, and they are already trialling 80/20 speeds. I am just not certain that they can meet the price likely to be offered by Sky, especially as I am considering using Sky for the TV and phone again.

It's not all about money though, and I would be happy to pay more for a good connection. I was with Sky for over a year in the past on their 20meg service, and I always had a fast and reliable unlimited connection.

I guess I am hoping that Sky will in the very near future offer a 80/20mb fibre option. If they do, and it is as reliable as my last sky broadband connection, (and of course there is still space free in the cabinet!) it will suit me fine for now.

Do you think Sky will eventually offer a FTTP product for those in an area with FTTP? I would definitely be interested. I know that Plusnet are currently trialling this option for those lucky enough to be in a city where FTTP is available.
      Dont confuse reaching capacity with full capacity. Various BTO engineers have said that most cabs have only had around 100 connections paired up to start with.