Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Like Tree27Likes

Sky fibre broadband

This is a discussion on Sky fibre broadband within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Take it from a VM customer who's having their speed "upped" it's not all roses here. Got some agressive TM ...

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Sky fibre broadband

Take it from a VM customer who's having their speed "upped" it's not all roses here. Got some agressive TM coming in tomorrow. Okay so today the price is cut for 100MB to 34.75 but..

We on 100 are going to 120/12. there are basically 3 tiers now.. 30/3 60/6 and 120/12. 50/5 is no longer being sold and will also be upgraded to 100/10 and then 120/12.

Even 12 is wimpy if BTO are going to do 80/20 but for now it's fast enough for me!.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Lets face it, VM has not got the infrastructure behind the scenes to support their existing connections. In reality all they have done is increase their maximum speed from 100mb/s to 120mb/s and increased the connection speeds for all their customers.

Headline speeds look good, but with a backhaul that is already over stretched, it can only get worse.

Whilst we are all moaning about how long Sky has taken thus far to launch a Fibre product and also now want it to support 80/20, at least they have invested in the backhaul.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Rome wasn't built in a day... neither is the fantastic fibre infrastructure we'll all be part of (eventually)

ALtheDevil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kirby Muxloe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

very true Gore. I was gutted the other day when I got in from work. Wife was taking the little lad to school & they walk past my cab. The Openreach enginner was inside the old one, so the lad asked what he was doing, the reply was "connecting someone to fibre". I muttered under my breath at home, not your bloody daddy!!!!!

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Should we start a count down like Big Brother? 10 days to go? ...Or is it???? C'Mon sky update that website...

With a bit of luck BTO should update twitter tomorrow with news of more enabled exchanges, although I see they didnt tweet to say they have rolled back some March dates to June! Do they not know its good to talk? An engineer at my exchnage said this is a huge over esitmate and most will go live well before then.. We will see

I am also told a new PCP spreadsheet is due out W/C 23rd April, it will be good to see how many more post codes have been added.

transmission1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYBNN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Thanks

My cab is ready for service now, I can see it over the road from my living room window. It went live a couple of months ago so really hope Sky put some more info on the website soon. Really want to know if the service will be 40/2 or 40/10. Hoping it will be 40/10 as the extra upload speed is what I'm really after. I already have a pretty decent ADSL 2+ connection but the upload is relatively slow, a real connection killer when uploading video to YouTube etc - almost grinds to a halt
      Last edited by transmission1; 02-04-12 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Speelings!

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      Should we start a count down like Big Brother? 10 days to go? ...Or is it???? C'Mon sky update that website...

With a bit of luck BTO should update twitter tomorrow with news of more enabled exchanges, although I see they didnt tweet to say they have rolled back some March dates to June! Do they not know its good to talk? An engineer at my exchnage said this is a huge over esitmate and most will go live well before then.. We will see

I am also told a new PCP spreadsheet is due out W/C 23rd April, it will be good to see how many more post codes have been added.
      Dont forget new exchanges get enabled mostly every week but BTO only give 4 quarterly dates that the exchanges are grouped into, March/June/September/December, these will be the dates that all the exchanges listed with said date are planned to be completed by that date not on that date so once March dated exchanges have slipped past their original date they ofcause will now be considered as being completed by June but could go live anytime between March and June.

With the 3 exchanges near me, WMHX was dated for March and WMIPS & WMRJ are both dated June, WMHX went live mid March and then on the 22nd March they started work on the WMIPS cabs, all the fiber cabs have been fitted and BTO vans have been going round putting the fiber cables in and doing work in the cabs, i hope that WMIPS will get live status this week or if not maybe next week, then hopefully they will get started doing my exchange WMRJ, so just because exchanges are dated for June doesnt mean they wont get done till June, just that they are currently planned to have been done by June

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Well...

Virgin's traffic management is out..

20GB between 10am - 3pm and 10GB between 4pm - 9pm on a 100mb connection... WHAT A JOKE!!!

I am SO jealous of you lot on Sky now :/

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Thanks

Guys, My brother is moving into a new house in June. He has the option of either Virgin Fibre or Sky ADSL (no fibre cab). Sky will offer about 8meg. He isnt a massive downloader so if he takes the 60meg line and goes over the fair use he will be restricted to 30meg. I doubt that will make much difference to him but what would is if it went down to 3 or 4 meg. In reality for those with Virgin experience will this happen? Also, does tivo and anytime downloads count in the downloads?

So, what would you guys do? Sky tv and broadband ADSL, Sky tv and Virgin Fibre or Virgin TV and Broadband?

​BT Infinity 2 51369/14357
      Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/10000
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/1999
      Sky Broadband Unlimited 10487/1049

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williammorris View Post
      Well...

Virgin's traffic management is out..

20GB between 10am - 3pm and 10GB between 4pm - 9pm on a 100mb connection... WHAT A JOKE!!!

I am SO jealous of you lot on Sky now :/
      If that's what there implementing then they should have to put that in big capital letters next to there top speeds on all bill boards' posters and adverts. Your right, it is a joke. Just watching a bit of Netflix here then BBC i player there. throw in abit of online gaming and your crippled.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast