Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Like Tree27Likes

Sky fibre broadband

This is a discussion on Sky fibre broadband within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by gorebrush Precisely my sentiments. I think the fees are quite fair, you are paying for an engineer ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky fibre broadband

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Precisely my sentiments. I think the fees are quite fair, you are paying for an engineer visit after all.
      Agreed. And at 50 it seems to be a fee that is consistent with what other providers are charging, although I have noticed that the 50 is often waived if migrating both voice and broadband to the new provider (which is what I would do if it comes to the crunch - so that would be a lose-lose for Sky and a win-win for the new provider).

Continuing to see more successful SBUF orderers posting over on DS (and I think on Sky Help Forum too but might be wrong, it's the tears in my eyes you see ). Anyway I'm just going to wait for Thursday now. Sorry, but I just don't get what has happened this weekend - it's almost like it's a soft launch to SOME customers on a random basis?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      Hartside is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cramlington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I was lucky enough to get the trial, which was free installation/free router. I would have gladly paid for both to get the trial if they had asked
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/2050177061.png

folwelld is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Had a vm left from sky about 3wks ago, didn't notice for a few days but then phoned up sky via bb upgrade number. They obviously saw the note on my account about the call and put me straight through to the fibre team.

V helpful person took me through the process, inc changing my line rental to sky. Took about 40 mins in total but got free connection charge and router.

I'm due to be installed on thurs 12th so it sounds like a good 2-3 weeks wait once they start processing the order.

The fibre team had 12 members when I phoned. Was told the launch is on the 12th but not necessarily taking orders (vaguely remember them saying no phone orders on that date but don't quote me). They are expecting to be v busy but they are rolling out now to people who have registered an interest previously. I'm sure they will have a strategy as to who they choose.
      I do have the direct fibre team number but was asked not to share it. We talked about this site and he mentioned that they do check it to make sure.

He couldn't confirm any upgrade speeds and said I would start on 40/2 but that might change after launch / at some point in the future. He was keen to point out unlimited and no TM in comparison to competitors.

Can't wait till thurs now, bit worried as I still haven't had the router delivered, so a tues phone call if not. Been stuck on 4mbs for a while now and can't wait to finally get a decent speed.

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

On the subject of exchanges that have only just gone live, it may be worth pointing out that for LLU providers to offer FTTC they first have to place an order for the GEA Cablelink product which is a fiber link from the FTTC termination point (OLT/Layer 2 Switch) in the exchange to the CP's own equipment.
      This i imagine can cause a slight delay after the exchange going live before the LLU provider can supply FTTC from that exchange, a delay that would not be there for BT Infinity.

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by folwelld View Post
      The fibre team had 12 members when I phoned. Was told the launch is on the 12th but not necessarily taking orders (vaguely remember them saying no phone orders on that date but don't quote me). They are expecting to be v busy but they are rolling out now to people who have registered an interest previously. I'm sure they will have a strategy as to who they choose.
      Why haven't they phoned me My cabinet is enabled, my exchange is enabled, according to the BT checker I can get Infinity @ 40Mbps and I have all the pre-requirisite Sky products and registered my interest when they first announced they were going to be doing fibre.

More importantly how can I persuade the other half that an extra 10pm to go from 6Mbps to 40Mbps is a sound investment ??

celtic1967 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leagrave
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity (for now)
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

My Infinity 18 month contract expired in Feb so I thought I can change now. Phoned Sky this morning to explain that I would like to go to them for SFUB, Talk Unlimited and rental. I got put through to a very nice lady on the fibre team who told me that I would have to revert back to Sky Unlimited BB (at 1Meg for me) and then upgrade after a couple of weeks to Sky fibre. Meaning that it is not possible to change from BT Infinity straight to Sky fibre. Seemed strange but I thought I would get the ball rolling and make the change to Sky BB. The lady then checked and said that my exchange is not enabled for Sky fibre but they would let me know when it was. I know my exchange has Sky LLU equipment and, obviously, BT Infinity so I thought it would be an easy switch...sadly no.

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      Why haven't they phoned me My cabinet is enabled, my exchange is enabled, according to the BT checker I can get Infinity @ 40Mbps and I have all the pre-requirisite Sky products and registered my interest when they first announced they were going to be doing fibre.

More importantly how can I persuade the other half that an extra 10pm to go from 6Mbps to 40Mbps is a sound investment ??
      Have you tried ringing them. I just went through the upgrades department and told them how eager I was to get fibre as everything seems to be hooked up to the internet these days and could really do with the extra bandwidth. If you don't get anywhere the first time try again. At the very least you should get an answer to whether It's availible to you. Also tell them you've registered for the trail as they seem very eager for people who have and you are more likely to get somewhere.
      lol, I've rung so many time over the past 2 weeks, when I rang I got through to a different menu and they answer straight away.
      Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      Have you tried ringing them
      Haven't tried that yet - to be honest the hardest part will be convincing the other half first

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I used to pay 39.99 a month for 1Mb ADSL, though that was in 2003...

Ring them again and see if you can blag an order. With patience, you might just get through to the right person............

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Agreed. And at 50 it seems to be a fee that is consistent with what other providers are charging, although I have noticed that the 50 is often waived if migrating both voice and broadband to the new provider (which is what I would do if it comes to the crunch - so that would be a lose-lose for Sky and a win-win for the new provider).

Continuing to see more successful SBUF orderers posting over on DS (and I think on Sky Help Forum too but might be wrong, it's the tears in my eyes you see ). Anyway I'm just going to wait for Thursday now. Sorry, but I just don't get what has happened this weekend - it's almost like it's a soft launch to SOME customers on a random basis?
      I don't think it is a case of it being a "soft" launch. It wasn't as if I just wondered through to the sales department and they ordered it. I had to get through to a very specific team, and had to, well, blag my way to an order. (And at the moment I'm not sure I actually have one..) Had to mention that my exchange/cabinet ready etc, said that I've signed up for the trial. They weren't just going to give me an order without a bit of work on my part...

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast