Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

Fibre optic dilemma

This is a discussion on Fibre optic dilemma within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by gorebrush Nice info! LOL well it's the truth.. and no one cares so...

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Fibre optic dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Nice info!
      LOL well it's the truth.. and no one cares so

2. Advertisement
      gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I do! I'm very highly enthusiastic about broadband and it's uses

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      I do! I'm very highly enthusiastic about broadband and it's uses
      Erm.. ok!

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Yeah, I know, it's odd

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I have to admit that when I had Virgin ADSL (2.5Mb/s) the service was brilliant. as the connection was so slow I never downloaded anything heavy, I would drive to my dad's to use his Virgin Fibre connection
      williammorris likes this.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      I have to admit that when I had Virgin ADSL (2.5Mb/s) the service was brilliant. as the connection was so slow I never downloaded anything heavy, I would drive to my dad's to use his Virgin Fibre connection
      Can't say I would blame you!.

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sorry to revive this from page 1 but....

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      2. Sky offer a totally unlimited, unshaped service. BT employ very restrictive traffic shaping, if you torrent alot, forget BT.
      So the very restrictive shaping is what exactly ? Just torrents ?
      In which case its hardly 'very restrictive" is it.

Or are they now starting to traffic shape/manage in other ways ? I'm sure it states on the infinity page that the service is unlimited bar the P2P restrictions.

Just wondering as my Fibre is due to go live in next month or 2 and would like to stay with Sky, but the extra speed on BT 80/20 vs 40/2 is compelling for me.

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickric21 View Post
      Sorry to revive this from page 1 but....

So the very restrictive shaping is what exactly ? Just torrents ?
      In which case its hardly 'very restrictive" is it.

Or are they now starting to traffic shape/manage in other ways ? I'm sure it states on the infinity page that the service is unlimited bar the P2P restrictions.

Just wondering as my Fibre is due to go live in next month or 2 and would like to stay with Sky, but the extra speed on BT 80/20 vs 40/2 is compelling for me.

BTO Fibre services give you a prioritisation rate of 30 Mbps ( On a 80/20) versus the old 15 Mbps (40/10) if Openreach experience network congestion in a local area. Comments have also been made about various website/task being slowed down like Apple Updates to name but one.

I would say that sky have not announced what its fibre package/s will be when it launches. Staff have been testing both 40/10 and 80/20 connections

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I'd agree with Ipster. Keep your eyes open on what is actually announced on the 12th April. Sky has been testing FTTP in South Harrow, for example, since last July with various customers.

Whilst the BT Infinity headline speed shouts out 80/20, the reality is that most people are a BT Wholesale product, including BT Infinity customers, and you will experience peak-time throttling.

The BT infinity product was supposed to have been modified so that you were no longer punished for downloading torrents. You would need to check the terms and conditions when the product is finally launched.

One advantage that BT Infinity has over Sky Broadband though is that they have allowed people to use their own routers. This seems to be a minor issue though for the moment as you simply pass the traffic straight through the Sky router to your own Cable router, placing it's IP address in the Sky router's DMZ Server settings.

Also, asking as someone who does download torrents, could you seriously argue that you would be hammering your connection 24/7 if you were downloading torrents? Sure if you are on a private torrent site the upload speed helps to your gain a better ratio, but even with a potential 10mb/s on Sky, you'd be fine on most private torrent sites.

Personally I do not like the track record of either BT or Virgin. Both have a history of snooping around the home network of their customers. BT did it under the pretext to see if they had the PowerLine Adaptors which had been withdrawn for safety reasons. VM has it in their T&Cs.
      Ipster likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Thanks

Cheers for the useful info thank you.

Guess we'll all find out April 12th what Sky are offering.

I had seen the 30mb guarantee (80mb product) from BT if the service is experiencing local congestion, but I didn't take it as it being something that happens very often, or necessarily an indicator of things to come, should we read more into it you think ? eg BT are reaching capacity.
      There has also been reports of Sky users on here suffering peak time problems but Sky offer no such guarantees...maybe i'll have a look around thinkbroadband and see what the consensus is.

As someone who doesn't use torrents i'm not really wary of BT unless they are getting too congested and normal traffic is affected which is what i'd like to know.

The use of ones own router is also a biggie for me aswell, having 3 pieces of hardware and 3 layers of NAT is unacceptable just to be able to use a decent wireless network so isn't an option for me nor is it elegant or environmentally friendly.
      One VDSl modem/router is really what id strive for, or failing that the OR modem and a decent cable router with QoS.

Anyway thanks again for the replies and looking forward to seeing whats in store after April 12th.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast