Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

New Router at Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited launch?

This is a discussion on New Router at Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited launch? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Thank you, but much of the knowledge I share has been mentioned previously by other members ...

Zino_Jones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: New Router at Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Thank you, but much of the knowledge I share has been mentioned previously by other members who are experienced in specific areas. Other times I search around the web for the answers where I can.

Since you are looking for a 1Gbit LAN and at least 300mb/s WiFi, could I suggest that you also look at the Netgear stable for Cable routers too? Before jumping in though, do check the Netgear forums. There have been some specific issues (i.e. parental controls, lack of MER support for Sky).

The current Cable Specific routers start with the letters WNDR.

Wireless Router & Modem Gateways - NETGEAR Forums

As for plugging in three items, I do appreciate the issue as many will consider the electricity consumption. The actual power usage by a router, with the WiFi disabled, isn't that huge. It will be more an issue with connecting so many items. A suitable Surge-Protected Power Bar would help in this matter.
      I tend to use surge protection on all power outlets. The thing is, I've run out of spare sockets, even after freeing some up to accomodate the two I will need for modem and sky router. My brother and mother see more plugs and led lights and assume it is costing more when in fact I install stuff that is more efficient lol.

I need a router that will work with Sky without the sky router if Sky decide to allow this later on, I need to read up more on MER and PP whatever it is

2. Advertisement
      Zino_Jones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Attachment 3057

Attachment 3058

Is rumoured to be the starting point, although we believe it has since changed quite a lot. (nothing officially though)
      Ahh, these were the pics that made me consider NOT signing up to Fibre from Sky before launch. From earlier comments I understand this router will launch later in the year, in some form.

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zino_Jones View Post
      im sure you're clever enough to realise that just because the time stamp shows 15mins difference, it doesn't automatically mean it is 100% accurate and also, new router info or pics deserved its own thread. i appreciate you taking the time to help.
      Seriously? Really??

I'm more than happy to give assistance to anybody..... that knows how use the search function.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fazedup For This Useful Post:

Zino_Jones (22-03-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I would love Sky to turn around and say 'that you have the choice: your own router or ours'.

The choice would be between:
      • using the Sky router - very useful for people who have no knowledge of the Internet or how to set up a router or don't want to know how to set up their own router
      • using their own router - routers on the open market cost between 15 and 300+
      PlusNet allow you to have their router, but should you cancel before 12 months, they will allow you to return it to them or you are charged for the router. This would discourage people from selling their 'free' routers on eBay. If you don't use their router, you can easily set up your own router and they provide you with the details.

There may be a much discussed issue over support, but other ISPs manage to deal with this everyday. There might be a little head-butting at times as those in support know that the person on the phone has made a simple error or is out of their depth, but they get through this.

Another issue would be which services are supported. Lets be honest: The sky Router Firmware is very limited. Whilst it allows the traffic to pass through the router, the controls are extremely limited.

A lot of routers out there now allow you to add a whole range of extra services. Child protection is a major one that many parents like to use, yet it remains unavailable on the Sky routers despite Sky Broadband being a domestic product. Extra services such as VPN, USB sockets (for sharing printers or USB sticks), Traffic Meters, adjustable connection speeds, Wireless Repeating Function and guest WiFi access are all very nice, but many people have no need for them.

Better control over QoS would be nice too. Currently this is blocked by the Sky router firmware.

I haven't forgotten the other issues either. Faster LAN ports and WiFi is becoming more important for many people as their demands grow. WiFi 54g is not suitable for anyone wishing to stream HD content. If there are multiple people within the same home, then 54g just cannot cope. The latest Sky router supports 144mbps, but only if your computer has a suitable adaptor. Most adaptors shipped with Laptops in the shops only support 150mbps on a router that uses paired channels, this is not the case with the Sagem 2504N. It uses a single channel. Many sky employees use iPads. This supports a 300mb/s WiFi connection on the 5GHz channels, why can the Sky router use both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels and 300mb/s or even 450mb/s?

1Gbit LAN has become a must for many students and those who handle large volumes of data. With the explosion in digital photography and videography, many people are making use of such networks in the home environment.

Finally, a lot of people work from home. I am not suggesting that those who run their whole business from home should make use of what is a domestic product, although i appreciate that many do. I would point out that a lot of people take their company mobiles home and wish to submit work from home, yet have a personal broadband service that their family can use. A lot of members have complained over the years that they have problems with their firm's VPN software. Why does Sky need to block this? The blocking is at the router. Changing the router resolves the issue.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 21-03-12 at 10:33 PM. Reason: corrected initial question
      Moxey, Bartlet, Ipster and 1 others like this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You raise a very valid point about HD streaming, the launch of sky's new brand "Now TV" will eat that wifi if several people are connected at the same time.

Im sat typing this on my mac connected to an airport express at a transmit rate of 405, but then it hits the sky router... its like a size 12 trying to get in a size 10 shoe!
      Scubbie, fazedup and Zino_Jones like this.

Thanks

I've been out all day, and I have just seen Ged's post on that.

I guess it will be yet another service that will allow you to stream lots of high def film and TV content. Will it be any different to the content available via LoveFilm, YouTube (the TV side) or any of the other online services that have already had applications written for TVs, Laptops, Blu-Ray players, Xboxes, PS3s and all the rest too.

I would love the idea of being able to use Sky Go to access content from your own Sky+ HD STB whilst at home. Perhaps later it would be possible to stream the content from your home to your mobile or laptop when you are away from home too.

Think about it: You are on holiday in Madrid and you know that you recorded the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy. It's quite, the hotel has free WiFi and you would like to chill beside the pool. Why not have your Laptop there whilst you watch the episode?

In practise you would need at least SBUF with a connection speed of 40/10 as 40/2 would struggle to stream SD, let alone HD.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Think about it: You are on holiday in Madrid and you know that you recorded the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy. It's quite, the hotel has free WiFi and you would like to chill beside the pool. Why not have your Laptop there whilst you watch the episode?
      Grey's Anatomy's not quite my cuppa tea, but nice thought nonetheless

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Thanks

It just happened to be on as I was typing the response.

You are more than welcome to replace it with a favourite series of your own.

As for Madrid, again you could be in Jamaica, Turkey, Egypt (although WiFi reception might be limited by the Brothers), resting in Hospital, Thailand or anywhere else you choose.

This can already be accomplished to some extent with a NAS drive or by using Sky Go to download directly from Sky's servers. I've just taken the idea a little further to personalise things from your own network.
      Zino_Jones likes this.

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I've been out all day, and I have just seen Ged's post on that.

I guess it will be yet another service that will allow you to stream lots of high def film and TV content. Will it be any different to the content available via LoveFilm, YouTube (the TV side) or any of the other online services that have already had applications written for TVs, Laptops, Blu-Ray players, Xboxes, PS3s and all the rest too.

I would love the idea of being able to use Sky Go to access content from your own Sky+ HD STB whilst at home. Perhaps later it would be possible to stream the content from your home to your mobile or laptop when you are away from home too.

In practise you would need at least SBUF with a connection speed of 40/10 as 40/2 would struggle to stream SD, let alone HD.
      I am sure I read somewhere that sky were working on letting people have contact with their sky box and recordings.. Or was it a dream.... hmmmmmm

morgee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham
      Router: Sky Q Silver Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Personally I use the sky supplied router and have no issues with it. Yet!
      But that is probably because I don't understand what using a different router will improve.
      For now I am happy but if someone can explain what improvements can be gained from changing to a different make of router or what sky can improve on their own one then I can jump off the fence lol.
      It is also very possible this has been explained before and I either simply missed it or just failed to understand!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast