Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree13Likes

New Router at Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited launch?

This is a discussion on New Router at Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited launch? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky aren't seriously forcing people to use their routers again are they? If people don't like that T&C they shouldn't ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: New Router at Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited launch?

Sky aren't seriously forcing people to use their routers again are they?
      If people don't like that T&C they shouldn't sign up for Sky Broadband surely?

Mind you that's a moot point anyway, as Sky have not kicked anyone off for using their own router.

People should always be allowed the option, i mean what do they gain by locking it down and limiting our choice?
      Why? Sky do this for the majority of their customers so that they can support their customers. It is hardly Sky's fault that there are some competent people who know how to setup a router etc, imo they cater for them anyway, see my previous reply.

It's bad enough openreach expect people to run two separate devices, so adding a third is a bit excessive.
      A third?

You would use the BT router and then the Sky one, that makes 2?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      theory is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      If people don't like that T&C they shouldn't sign up for Sky Broadband surely?

Mind you that's a moot point anyway, as Sky have not kicked anyone off for using their own router.
      I never understand why people defend companies and their sometimes questionable business practices, the old line if you don't like something don't x, misses the point and sometimes there's no alternative, obviously that's not the case here but it's hardly a good thing is it?

Why? Sky do this for the majority of their customers so that they can support their customers. It is hardly Sky's fault that there are some competent people who know how to setup a router etc, imo they cater for them anyway, see my previous reply.
      Options are always good and in this case it wouldn't hurt to let people choose what hardware they use, sky should give out sign in details when requested making it clear they won't get support for the router they use.

A third?

You would use the BT router and then the Sky one, that makes 2?
      People were discussing the use of a third router if they wanted more control, was just in reply to that.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theory View Post
      I never understand why people argue for questionable business practices, the old line if you don't like something don't x, misses the point and sometimes there's no alternative, obviously that's not the case here but it's hardly a good thing is it?
      It's not exactly rocket science is it?

If people do not like the T&C's then why signup to anything?

I wouldn't buy a car if I had to use BP petrol only and none other, unless I had no choice of any other Petrol supplier.

I don't think is a questionable business practise. Sky do this so that their support staff (allegedly) all sing from the same Hymn book.

As for missing the point, I also disagree on that, the point is Sky want to offer the best support they can, hence why they give the router away on signup. As for being the case here, I can think of far worse in things in life then complaining about having to use a free Sky router, when it has been completely proven without a doubt, that Sky turn a blind eye to you using your own router anyway.

Yes it maynot be the best, but there are far worse ones out there, that other ISPs force you to use.

Options are always good and in this case it woulnd't hurt to let people choose what hardware they use, sky should give out sign in details when requested making it clear they won't get support for the router they use.
      ummm, Sky do allow you to choose what hardware you wish, otherwise they would be blocking everything connected that is not a Sky router. As for Sky giving out the details, I do agree, with a clear disclaimer, if it goes wrong, unless you plug in your Sky router, there is no support. But then again, as time has proven, people who then use their own routers, then sell their 'free router' on eBay. So Sky are being ripped off imo by allowing people to use their own router.

Now if Sky gave you the option to have a router or to use your own, then I could perhaps agree with you again. But again with the clear proviso, Sky don't support it.

People will either know how to configure their own router, or they won't - There cannot be any other scenario. Sky against the will of a very small minority, are looking after the majority of people by doing things their way.

People were discussing the use of a third router if they wanted more control, was just in reply to that.
      Ahh - Get you, yes some people prefer the greater features etc but then again, I think it is possible to use the third device anyway. Not very carbon neutral friendly again I agree.

I ain't bothered personnally re using a non Sky router anyway, I knew from the day I signed up to Sky that I had to use one, and for me the Sagem 2504n has been the best so far. A few niggling issues reported by some people, but overall, it works and does the job well.

Obviously I also appreciate that others do have issues with any of the Sky routers, and a fair few do use their own, I just think it is unfair to say that Sky are in the wrong for making people use the Sky router, that they agreed to do so, when they themselves signed up to Sky Broadband.

edited; added a few more words.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 21-03-12 at 06:55 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

well if sky do release a new router for fttc then id be interested to know what it looks like and what it features

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      well if sky do release a new router for fttc then id be interested to know what it looks like and what it features
      New Router at Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited launch?-24yz81h.jpg

New Router at Sky Broadband Fibre Unlimited launch?-25a86wy.gif

Is rumoured to be the starting point, although we believe it has since changed quite a lot. (nothing officially though)

Thanks

hum that was a rummer pic of it but it might change

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      hum that was a rummer pic of it but it might change
      The new one is still whitish though.

Thanks

hum well if it is that looks nice but we cant confirm on rumours though

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks
      And it's looks like an adsl router it has an rj11 port
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Everyone has their thoughts about if sky should allow customers to choose/use their own router.. and all are valid but it doesn't make any of them right or wrong.

If sky are insisting that customers use their router then it should be one to match the service it used for.

I can see why they use their own equipment and at the moment the current router is adequate for adsl but a service such as fibre which is a premium service and based on the current cost to customer should allow the end user to get full benefit of the service they are paying for. Even if they do not include things like gigabit ports sky have no excuse for badly written firmware that has not been corrected (wireless N setting) whilst this doesnt stop the router been used, it does show a lack of attention to detail.

I would love a much better router, but I play by the book its my choice not to use an alternative router at the moment, but it will be dissapointing to customers if skys new router (soon to be released) offering doesnt at least keep up with other basic routers features.
      I will use sky's own words and say "I believe in Better"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast