Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

sagem fibre router

This is a discussion on sagem fibre router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Its getting worse now. Lasted an hour and then another reset which didn't work as was still slow. Has just ...

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: sagem fibre router

Its getting worse now. Lasted an hour and then another reset which didn't work as was still slow. Has just speeded up though by itself. NOT HAPPY

​BT Infinity 2 51369/14357
      Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/10000
      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Sky Fibre Unlimited 39999/1999
      Sky Broadband Unlimited 10487/1049

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

With these speed changes, are you recording any changes in the router stats?

There are a number of possible causes, such as BTO DLM reconfiguring the line, an issue with your line or an issue with the Sky router.

It may also be worth looking at hacking the BTO Modem as you can then access the full connection stats, provided that you are interested.

Are you downloading any torrents? One of the things that I noticed in the past was things like torrents can put some routers through too much. Routers back then could not handle the large number of connections. If you are, have you limited their bandwidth? When I had Annex M on ADSL (2.3mb upload) I set my torrents to a maximum of 150kBps.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      With these speed changes, are you recording any changes in the router stats?

There are a number of possible causes, such as BTO DLM reconfiguring the line, an issue with your line or an issue with the Sky router.

It may also be worth looking at hacking the BTO Modem as you can then access the full connection stats, provided that you are interested.

Are you downloading any torrents? One of the things that I noticed in the past was things like torrents can put some routers through too much. Routers back then could not handle the large number of connections. If you are, have you limited their bandwidth? When I had Annex M on ADSL (2.3mb upload) I set my torrents to a maximum of 150kBps.
      Finding it takes ages to get into the router but it is syncing at 39999 at all times. It is now not responding to resets. Still slow. Just got a speed test of 0.2meg and a ping of 1100ms. No torrents. BTO engineers was here and sorted some wiring. He also showed me his machine while connected to my line. There were zero errors. I don't really want to hack the modem as that is the next point of call if the replacement router doenst work. Fed up tbh.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro 49394/18767 Was before I got DLM'd down to 45000 but now downgraded

Mr Mot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMCAN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      I think the 2504n is just underspec'd tbh, it's not even snappy when it comes to loading web pages with no other activity.

It'll be interesting to see how it handles 2 Xboxs online at once, 3 laptops, 3 phones and a NAS pulling data down.

There's no QOS on it either..

Sky need to allow us to use another router that suits our needs!

I think I'm going to liken the 2504 with fibre to putting and SSD in a 486DX

Thanks

Is your router set to 'respond to Ping'? If it is, could you disable that option please? Some members have reported that this has become enabled.

Otherwise have you enabled any particular features that are different to normal on the router?

Whilst the router should be able to handle anything, it might be sensible to reduce it to a simple setup for the moment.

Also could you confirm what you have connected to the router please? Again this should not interfere with the router, but perhaps it cannot cope with something that you have. Do also take a look at the router's list of connected devices. Check this against what you have connected.

One possibility is that something is getting through the router's firewall and snooping around your LAN to see what open ports it can find. If this is the case, I would first suggest that you run various AV & Malware scanners on any computer connected to ensure that you haven't inadvertently picked up some nasty.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mot View Post
      I think the 2504n is just underspec'd tbh, it's not even snappy when it comes to loading web pages with no other activity.
      This router has proved to be fine on an ADSL connection. Perhaps it cannot cope with the FTTC side. There are various rumours floating around about the next Sky router, but we don't have any information that can be published or, more importantly, when we shall start to see it being shipped.

It'll be interesting to see how it handles 2 Xboxs online at once, 3 laptops, 3 phones and a NAS pulling data down.

There's no QOS on it either..
      There will be some form of QoS, but sadly there is no option for us, the customers who don't understand anything, to be able to adjust things or add services that Sky have never heard of.

Sky need to allow us to use another router that suits our needs!

I think I'm going to liken the 2504 with fibre to putting and SSD in a 486DX
      pmsl - I don't know what processor is in the router off hand, I'm sure that someone within Sky know, but they aren't saying. Many of the new Netgears have dual processors now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Is your router set to 'respond to Ping'? If it is, could you disable that option please? Some members have reported that this has become enabled.

Otherwise have you enabled any particular features that are different to normal on the router?

Whilst the router should be able to handle anything, it might be sensible to reduce it to a simple setup for the moment.

Also could you confirm what you have connected to the router please? Again this should not interfere with the router, but perhaps it cannot cope with something that you have. Do also take a look at the router's list of connected devices. Check this against what you have connected.

One possibility is that something is getting through the router's firewall and snooping around your LAN to see what open ports it can find. If this is the case, I would first suggest that you run various AV & Malware scanners on any computer connected to ensure that you haven't inadvertently picked up some nasty.
      Respond to ping is off.

I have a time capsule connected to the router. The time capsule is acting as a bridge so all routing is done by sky router. I have a home plug connected to the time capsule which leads to a switch downstair (sky hd box-vodafone sure signal-blu ray player) and a switch upstairs (Sky HD box and apple tv)

I did a full factory reset on the router and it seems back up to speed, for how long I don't know. I do think its faulty as I had the same slow down briefly when I had it connected to adsl but it only happened twice in 2-3 weeks. I have turned off wireless on the sky router FYI.

God knows what is gonna happen to my connection. DLM will be having a fit with all the resets.

I run macs in the house so I have no virus or malware or its highly unlikely.

I have macbook air, iMac, iPad and two iPhones on the wireless network supplied by the time capsule but router via sky router.
      Last edited by paulkerdot; 18-03-12 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks

Resetting the Router is not going to be a serious issue IMHO. The Modem is the component that dials up your connection to the telephone exchange.

Which HomePlugs do you have? Have you had any issues with them previously?

As for Macs not having any nasties, please please please do run something on them to ensure that you haven't picked up something. There have been lots of debates across the Internet. Basically anything and everything is targeted and can pick up a nasty.

The truth is that most viruses and trojans are written for the Windows environment because more people have a Windows based computer. However there are nasties out the designed specifically for Macs.

Hopefully with the WiFi off, the Sky router will work a lot better once this issue has been identified.

Thanks

Another thought. When the original open reach engineer installed my fibre i wasn't here. I noticed when I came home that he had connected the open reach modem to port 4 instead of port 1. As it was working I didn't want to disconnect it because of DLM. WHen the second open reach engineer came yesterday I took the opportunity to change it to port 1 but I had only done soft resets on the router. I have now done a full factory default reset so maybe this might make a difference. Clutching at straws here. Anyway at the moment I am at full speed 37meg. Fingers crossed. i have a new router on its way anyway but will be Tuesday or Wednesday before I get it.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulkerdot View Post
      Another thought. When the original open reach engineer installed my fibre i wasn't here. I noticed when I came home that he had connected the open reach modem to port 4 instead of port 1. As it was working I didn't want to disconnect it because of DLM. WHen the second open reach engineer came yesterday I took the opportunity to change it to port 1 but I had only done soft resets on the router. I have now done a full factory default reset so maybe this might make a difference. Clutching at straws here. Anyway at the moment I am at full speed 37meg. Fingers crossed. i have a new router on its way anyway but will be Tuesday or Wednesday before I get it.
      if you go to advanced on the router and select the connection method (can remember the exact wording) change it to WANoE only. this will show you a picture of the router and that the ethernet cable should go into port 1. also selecting this option increase the speed at which the router recognises a WANoE connection and will connect to the modem and the internet faster.

as scubbie has said, rebooting your router will not affect DLM
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast