Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree5Likes

Is fibre as susceptible to internal wiring as adsl 2+ ?

This is a discussion on Is fibre as susceptible to internal wiring as adsl 2+ ? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by bhavinshah88 Well no I wouldn't need the engineer to run another CAT5e cable...I could just use an ...

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Is fibre as susceptible to internal wiring as adsl 2+ ?

Quote Originally Posted by bhavinshah88 View Post
      Well no I wouldn't need the engineer to run another CAT5e cable...I could just use an existing one that's running through the walls by locating the modem next to a network point (say in the living room), and then use a switch in the loft to connect all the other network points around the house to the router.

So really the only issue is where to locate the modem. Can't be garage because of no power, and don't know if/how they will relocate/extend the master without drilling holes. Will see what happens next Monday!
      I was thinking along the lines of utilising what you already have, without the need to purchase any more kit.

But good point, that'll work nicely.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fazedup For This Useful Post:

bhavinshah88 (12-03-12)

3. Advertisement
      bhavinshah88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Perivale
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity FTTP
      Router: TP-Link Archer C9
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      I was thinking along the lines of utilising what you already have, without the need to purchase any more kit.

But good point, that'll work nicely.
      Oh right yes, that's true. Think I accepted a long time ago that I'll be having to buy a few bits of equipment to get fibre to work and make the most of it lol.

Hartside is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cramlington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim, but just to clarify for me....

At the moment I have a NTE5 in the hallway of my bungalow. I ran a cat5e cable from the NTE5 into the bedroom that I have the modem in and terminated it on an ADSL filtered faceplate. This cat5e cable is inside the internal walls for neatness. The filtered faceplate in the bedroom has one socket for the telephone and another (RJ45 I think) connector for the modem. BT are coming on the 29th for my Sky Fibre installation and I'm hoping he will just be able to use my existing cat5e cable to agin allow me to have the modem in the bedroom. Do you think he will do this using my existing cable and will I lose the telephone socket in my bedroom as a result?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Provided that he is happy with the wiring in the Cat 5e cable and the connections, he may well be happy to use it.

Alternatively he will just run his own cable from the Modem socket on the vDSL filtered faceplate in the Master Socket in the hallway.

Another option would be to move the master socket properly to the bedroom or somewhere where there is a power source nearby.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Hartside is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cramlington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

Thanks for the help. At the moment the cat5e cable terminates in the bedroom on an ADSL Nation filtered faceplate with RJ45 and telephone socket on it. I guess he will not be able to use the filtered faceplate anymore. Is there such a thing as an unfiltered face plate with both telephone and RJ45 connections?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I guess he will not be able to use the filtered faceplate anymore.
      That is not necessarily so. It would be possible to connect the existing Cat5 to the unfiltered side of the filtered master socket, but he may not be happy to use a non BTO filter. It is probably best to leave it to the engineer, from what I have seen reported so far they will do their best to satisfy the customer.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Hartside (19-03-12)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123