Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Is fibre as susceptible to internal wiring as adsl 2+ ?

This is a discussion on Is fibre as susceptible to internal wiring as adsl 2+ ? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I would guess that they will do as they have until now: Charge customers for fixing internal extensions as required....

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Is fibre as susceptible to internal wiring as adsl 2+ ?

I would guess that they will do as they have until now: Charge customers for fixing internal extensions as required.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      bhavinshah88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Perivale
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity FTTP
      Router: TP-Link Archer C9
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I would guess that they will do as they have until now: Charge customers for fixing internal extensions as required.
      Huh?

My master socket is 1) in the garage, and 2) nowhere near any power sockets. So it will have to be moved. If that breaks all the extensions around the house, BT will charge to fix them??

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bhavinshah88 View Post
      Huh?

My master socket is 1) in the garage, and 2) nowhere near any power sockets. So it will have to be moved. If that breaks all the extensions around the house, BT will charge to fix them??
      In this instance I would expect BTO to connect them up to the new Master Socket. who the do it will depend, but a simple way would be to run a cable from the new location, to where the old master was. In that location a simple junction box can then be used.

What they actually do though, I can't say as I have no idea. Perhaps someone who does know might chip in?

I perhaps misunderstood the original question on this matter. I was thinking of existing telephone extensions that didn't work in the first place.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Ohh right, ok cheers.

Yeah I'm curious about what they'll do too. I'm not even sure how all the extensions are wired now - there was a fault in the initial re-wiring that prevented a couple of extensions working when the house was renovated and it was fixed somehow but I wasn't around to hear the explanation. It's possible that where I want the router is right in the middle of a long daisy chain, so I don't even know if it's possible to make that a master and still keep the extensions alive?

(I think we have 9 extensions around the house lol)

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What they actually do though, I can't say as I have no idea. Perhaps someone who does know might chip in?.
      The BTO Engineer did mention this to me. My take on this would be, they would in install the VDSL Faceplate in the garage and connect the existing extension wiring to the filtered voice side.

They would then run standard telco cable from the DSL Filtered side of the Faceplate (See pic below), to a location with a power point and mount an RJ11 box there.
      This terminals circled, were explained to me as being Filtered for DSL. You'd then be able to install your Modem at this location.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fazedup For This Useful Post:

bhavinshah88 (11-03-12),Scubbie (11-03-12)

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

It depends on each individual situation/scenario and which option is the easiest to employ, BTO can relocate the master socket to a more convenient place which im assuming would mean changing the point of entry where the external line enters the property and so probably only done if really needed or easy and convenient to do.

Alternatively and id imagine much more commonly especially when phone extensions are involved, your master socket can have the VDSL faceplate fitted to it where it is allowing the phone extensions to remain in tact and then a data extension cable can be run from the faceplate to a data extension socket fitted in a more convenient place where there are power sockets to install the BTO modem, you can then have a cat5e ethernet cable runnign from the modem to your router if you dont wish them to be in the same place.

Just mention the point of where your master socket is and not having any power sockets near it when you are going thru the order proccess with Sky and when the BTO engineer comes he will discuss with you the best options for install and any preferances you have with install locations.

---------------------
      Taken from the FTTC product contract for CP's listed on the BTO website :
      If as part of its Order installation details the Communications Provider requests provision of the GEA-FTTC
      Home Wiring Solution, the BT engineer, on agreement with the End User, will provide either:
      (a) an internal data extension kit: or
      (b) an external data extension kit
      as further described in the Handbook. Alternatively, the BT engineer may, at BTís discretion, relocate the End
      Userís current NTP provided that it is up to a maximum of one hourís work from the time the BT engineer
      commences work on arrival at the Site and is undertaken to the extent necessary for engineering and safety
      reasons.
      ----------------

hope this helps
      fazedup likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxey For This Useful Post:

bhavinshah88 (11-03-12)

Thanks

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the replies. Actually one thing we did do during renovation is put CAT5e through the walls, so we have network connections from most rooms and they all come out in a storage room in the loft.

So I guess it'll just be a case of picking any room with a power socket and a network socket, and locating the modem the there.

The question is how they'll get the data extension kit from the master socket in the garage to a suitable modem location...since I've read in a number of places that they're not keen on drilling etc.

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

The question is how they'll get the data extension kit from the master socket in the garage to a suitable modem location...since I've read in a number of places that they're not keen on drilling etc.
      The Data "extension kit" is a bit misleading. It's actually the same standard telco cabled used in internal telephone extensions, not Cat5e cable. Only one pair is actually connected. I know this, as he showed me the reel.

This will be run to the location you want the modem and terminated in an RJ11 (Modem Cable socket) flush mounted box. The modem will be installed here.

You then have 2 options;

1. Install the router in the same place as the modem.

or

2. Ask him to run a Cat5e Extension to another part of the house. i.e. Behind the TV to hook up the Sky +HD box, to a study etc. etc.
      This will then be terminated in an RJ45 (Etherner LAN socket) flush mounted box. The router will then be installed here.

Whatever option you choose, the cable will be clipped to the skirting board / around door architrave to the desired location. I doubt the BTO engineer will drill holes, but if you want the cabling as tidy as possible, you could pre-drill the holes for him. I did!

Actually one thing we did do during renovation is put CAT5e through the walls, so we have network connections from most rooms and they all come out in a storage room in the loft.
      So I guess it'll just be a case of picking any room with a power socket and a network socket, and locating the modem the there.

The only way you'll be able to utilise you're existing network setup, is by asking the BTO engineer to run the Cat5e extension from the Modem, up to your loft and install the router up there. You could then pick and choose which of your existing LAN connections and what particular rooms you want wired into the router.

However, there is still a question of exactly how far the BTO engineers will be prepared to run an extension without you incurring extra charges. Running one upto the loft might be classed as above and beyond a standard installation.

Hope things clarifies things.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Like everything else that BT touch it depends on the engineer and the weather... what they are told and allowed to do is often different from what they should do.
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      The only way you'll be able to utilise you're existing network setup, is by asking the BTO engineer to run the Cat5e extension from the Modem, up to your loft and install the router up there. You could then pick and choose which of your existing LAN connections and what particular rooms you want wired into the router.
      Well no I wouldn't need the engineer to run another CAT5e cable...I could just use an existing one that's running through the walls by locating the modem next to a network point (say in the living room), and then use a switch in the loft to connect all the other network points around the house to the router.

So really the only issue is where to locate the modem. Can't be garage because of no power, and don't know if/how they will relocate/extend the master without drilling holes. Will see what happens next Monday!
      fazedup likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast