Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

New Fibre install - Hacked HG612 - Line Stats

This is a discussion on New Fibre install - Hacked HG612 - Line Stats within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Mr Mot Thought I'd pop mine in here.. Attachment 3015 Ahh, that hasn't come out well! I'll ...

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New Fibre install - Hacked HG612 - Line Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mot View Post
      Thought I'd pop mine in here..

Attachment 3015

Ahh, that hasn't come out well!
      I'll do a copy and paste in a bit.

Seems a I can't access the modem unless I'm connected via wire to the LAN2 port.
      Squinting hard, but seems like your line stats are very similar to mine, 103 down / 33 up.

In it's default configuration, the only way to access the web gui is through a static ip of 192.168.1.100, plugged into LAN2.

I did read somewhere that you can fiddle with the settings in the modem, connect from LAN2 to you router and be able to access the modem's GUI from any device on your network.
      I just couldn't be bothered to faff about with the modem anymore than I already had.

Nice work tho. Try disbling the QOS feature and see what that does to your upload.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

2. Advertisement
      Mr Mot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMCAN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks
      I've left a patch lead in from LAN2 to the router and can now access the interface from my network

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mot View Post
      I've left a patch lead in from LAN2 to the router and can now access the interface from my network
      Good stuff. What IP range did you end up using for the router?

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Thanks

I've replied to your PM fazedup but for anyone else, I'd switched the router to 192.168.1.2, with the BTO modem still being 192.168.1.1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Mot For This Useful Post:

fazedup (21-03-12)

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

My SNR dropped to 1.6 last night and is racking up the errors. I have found out from my BTO modem that I have interleaving on the downstream but the upstream is off.

I need to figure out if its the line my pole or something in the house that is causing the low SNR.

JonS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMSTP
      Thanks

Hi Guys

First post after lurking for a while. I had my fibre installed a couple of weeks ago and finally got round to hacking the Openreach modem today.

I've got LAN1 from the modem straight into the WAN port of the router then another router port into an Ethernet switch. I've taken LAN2 from the modem and put that into the switch. I tried changing the IP address of the router as mentioned by Mr Mot but, for some reason, it wouldn't 'stick'.

I ended up downloading this Free IP Switcher: Switch between different network settings - Spyware FREE. and setting one of the tabs to obtain an IP address automatically (internet) and another tab with the modems LAN2 address (192.168.1.100). This means I can have a look at the modems stats without messing about the the router or plugging and unplugging cables.

Just thought this might help someone if they wanted to look at the modems stats and were unplugging cable or manually changing IP addresses.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JonS For This Useful Post:

fazedup (31-03-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonS View Post
      Hi Guys

First post after lurking for a while. I had my fibre installed a couple of weeks ago and finally got round to hacking the Openreach modem today.

I've got LAN1 from the modem straight into the WAN port of the router then another router port into an Ethernet switch. I've taken LAN2 from the modem and put that into the switch. I tried changing the IP address of the router as mentioned by Mr Mot but, for some reason, it wouldn't 'stick'.

I ended up downloading this Free IP Switcher: Switch between different network settings - Spyware FREE. and setting one of the tabs to obtain an IP address automatically (internet) and another tab with the modems LAN2 address (192.168.1.100). This means I can have a look at the modems stats without messing about the the router or plugging and unplugging cables.

Just thought this might help someone if they wanted to look at the modems stats and were unplugging cable or manually changing IP addresses.
      Top banana, nice find

Was getting a tad annoyed having to faff about everytime I wanted to get into the modem. Cheers.

As you've unlocked your modem, any chance of a couple of screenie of your VDSL Line stats?

Thanks
      JonS, I've slept since but I'm sure I had to tick something in the modem's settings to make it work.

It's in the instruction manual that's knocking about, I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm on my laptop

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Mot For This Useful Post:

JonS (01-04-12)

JonS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMSTP
      Thanks

Hi fazedup

Not sure how well this will come out, but here's a grab of my stats from the xDSL page:

New Fibre install - Hacked HG612 - Line Stats-xdsl.jpg
      I've noticed there a few error on the downstream side. They don't look like much and, I've not had any problems, so I assume they are normal(ish). Glad the IP Switcher was useful; certainly saves ploughing through the Control Panel and network settings each time

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonS View Post
      Hi fazedup

Not sure how well this will come out, but here's a grab of my stats from the xDSL page:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xDSL.jpg 
Views:	949 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	3087
      I've noticed there a few error on the downstream side. They don't look like much and, I've not had any problems, so I assume they are normal(ish). Glad the IP Switcher was useful; certainly saves ploughing through the Control Panel and network settings each time
      I get quite a few errors too, but like you don't notice any detrimental impact to my connection.
      But i'm sure somebody has a little knowledge on this subject.

It would appear you've got a pretty decent line, max a shade below 88 down / 30 up.
      If and when the 80/20 product becomes available, you're good to go.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast