Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

router help WNDR3700

This is a discussion on router help WNDR3700 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I cannot see why Sky have continued to insist that people must use their locked down routers on SBUF . ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: router help WNDR3700

I cannot see why Sky have continued to insist that people must use their locked down routers on SBUF.

There are lots of good quality Cable routers available that could be used instead. The saving to Sky would have been huge.

Other ISPs supply routers with the details pre-configured when needed.

Many ISPs now give you a clear option to use your own router or one of theirs. Even BT allow you to use your own router on either their Infinity or ADSL products.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The saving to Sky would have been huge.
      I doubt it, Sky will be paying peanuts for the routers.

Don't be surprised if in the future, Sky make their own router, and cut out all of the current manufacturers.

Many ISPs now give you a clear option to use your own router or one of theirs. Even BT allow you to use your own router on either their Infinity or ADSL products.
      It's the age old arguement, if you don't like the T and C's then don't signup. But people do because of what is being offered, and for so cheap. As far as Sky are concerned, 10 out of a thousand people wanting to use their own routers, hardly warrants changing things.

Whilst I agree with what you and everyone else says, Sky should just allow (or state that they allow) own routers to be used, but it is not exactly undocumented that Sky want you to use their router. It's in the T and C's

I think Sky are working on the basis of longterm customer income. A few years ago when we went Sky Towers, the Thomson HD box cost 500 for Sky to buy. They gave it away or charged something like 49 per box, so instantly took a hit. However, once you have a HD TV and a HD box, you are highly unlikely to cancel.

The same principle applies here, once you have Sky BB then you are unlikely to change again. No other ISP can offer what Sky are offering, or if they can, then definitely not for the same cost. Either the other ISPs will drop their prices, and conform to unlimited broadband, but then chances are they will just giveup or go bust.
      fazedup likes this.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I doubt it, Sky will be paying peanuts for the routers.

Don't be surprised if in the future, Sky make their own router, and cut out all of the current manufacturers.

It's the age old arguement, if you don't like the T and C's then don't signup. But people do because of what is being offered, and for so cheap. As far as Sky are concerned, 10 out of a thousand people wanting to use their own routers, hardly warrants changing things.

Whilst I agree with what you and everyone else says, Sky should just allow (or state that they allow) own routers to be used, but it is not exactly undocumented that Sky want you to use their router. It's in the T and C's

I think Sky are working on the basis of longterm customer income. A few years ago when we went Sky Towers, the Thomson HD box cost 500 for Sky to buy. They gave it away or charged something like 49 per box, so instantly took a hit. However, once you have a HD TV and a HD box, you are highly unlikely to cancel.

The same principle applies here, once you have Sky BB then you are unlikely to change again. No other ISP can offer what Sky are offering, or if they can, then definitely not for the same cost. Either the other ISPs will drop their prices, and conform to unlimited broadband, but then chances are they will just giveup or go bust.
      I agree with both you and Scubbie, but would you not agree if sky insist that you use their router that they make a better one? Or ones with better ports and wireless. The current wireless one the N router is poor considering its only a few months.

Am I right in thinking that even if you add a wireless switch say in bridge mode to a sky router whilst it may have gig ports on the switch it would still bottle neck between the switch and the Sky router.. the only benefit would be for distribution between your home network. So why offer a super fast product that is then somewhat restricted once it hits the sky router? I know for the mass the current router is fine but the USP of fibre is all about speed and any network is only as good as its slowest device. I appreciate what you say from a commercial point.. but mine is from an end user

Thanks

If you were to add a 1Gbit switch on a Sky router with a 100Mb LAN, the result would be that any communication between devices on the Switch could be sustained at up to 1Gbit. Any communication to anything connected to the Sky router would max out at 100mb/s.

One way around this would be to use a Cable router in the manner described in post #59 (i.e. connect the Cable router to the Sky router via the WAN port and let the cable router handle you LAN). The only bottleneck then would be to the Internet.
      Ipster likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

sparky678911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Netgear R6300
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

ok all got my new router today (quick) i disabled my wireless on the sagemcom and reset WNDR3700 back to factory setting and set the wireless up on it and now everything runs throught the WNDR3700 and only using the sagemcom as a pass throught really i guess , now only one thing i have plugged all bit into WNDR3700 and showing everything is running at gigabyte which is cool apart from one of my xbox 360 i have 2 plugged in and one showing it running at gigabyte and the other is not anyone have any ideas please thanks

Thanks

Well done for getting things running again.

With regards to the Xbox 360 that isn't showing a 1Gbit connection on your LAN, check the following:
      • Is the Ethernet cable a Cat 5e cable with a connection on all 8 pins? (Swap it with the other Ethernet cable to confirm that there isn't a fault)
      • Is it an older model which doesn't support a 1Gbit LAN port?

sparky678911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Netgear R6300
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

it is the older lol my mistake

Thanks

No problem. I don't have an Xbox 360 so I don't know the specs of any of them.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Didn't know the Xbox had a Gbit port at all, and I've got a recent "S" model..

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      Didn't know the Xbox had a Gbit port at all, and I've got a recent "S" model..
      Neither did I, all the hardware specs i've just had a look at all say 10/100
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast