Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

router help WNDR3700

This is a discussion on router help WNDR3700 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Ipster I'm not saying sky should have 5 different routers I'm suggesting they have a recommendation list. ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: router help WNDR3700

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      I'm not saying sky should have 5 different routers I'm suggesting they have a recommendation list. If a customer chooses to use these they accept that support will be limited.

This is not a new thing other ISPs even those offering fibre. Or at least remove it from breaching the terms and conditions. Even if they did allow customers to have their own router most would still take the free option.

I think sky offer a great service but they need to keep up with other ISPs both on service and equipment.
      I completely disagree with this, as per fazedup there is a perfectly logical reason as to why Sky set this in the T and C's

As for keeping up with the other ISPs, again I would disagree, Sky are dominating the market, signing up by the thousands daily. Obviously the vast majority of people don't care as long as they get a shiny new modem / router, that 99% of the time works and they get a good quality connection etc

o2 are the same, you have to use their router, or they won't support you. Also they charge you 20 for the router if you don't return it once you leave them.

If anything at all, other ISPs should take Sky's lead and invest in their own network, own simple routers (to save on support) and then try to grab back off Sky what they have lost to. It ain't rocket science, sooner or later once Sky can ditch Connect and have all their kit and fibre offerings as well, more customers will follow.

You can see for yourself how many people on here are excited about fibre, the apparently fairly low price, and we can pretty much guarantee Sky are going to up the speed very soon as well.

Have a look at the speedtester results, although Sky is 12th place for Unlimited (non fibre) download speed wise, the cost is only 7.50 - but their nearest equivalent (with the lowest price of 14) is nearly twice the price. And that only beats Sky's average download speed by 1.5 meg

So Sky's marketing, their offerings, their pure signup numbers, as well as less work for their CS would tend to disprove your theory. Although I am not having a go at you for it, as I respect it.

PS - If you want to use your own router, then go for it, as long as you don't ask Sky for support, then it is blindingly obvious that they don't really care if you do or don't anyway.
      fazedup likes this.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Your comments regarding the O2 router are noted with regards to support and cost. The GUI isn't particularly friendly, but the specs are a little better than any Sky router IMHO.

A friend signed signed up to O2 last December. The router's WiFi connected at 130mb/s on my Laptop (Ok Sky's 2504N is 144mb/s), but it supports 2 USB ports which can share the contents happily via a LAN or over the Internet. We were playing around earlier today and were quite able to stream contents on a USB drive to his TV or mobile phone.

Whilst Sky has not only locked down the GUI so that it is difficult to do many of the simple tasks that many advanced users are now demanding, they also have limited the ability for people to use their own routers.

I personally prefer to use my DGND3700 as I now have the ability to look at connecting my own LAN with those of a couple of close friends, as well as the other reasons mentioned earlier today (i.e. 1Gbit LAN, 300mb/s WiFi, dual band, QoS, USB storage).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Your comments regarding the O2 router are noted with regards to support and cost. The GUI isn't particularly friendly, but the specs are a little better than any Sky router IMHO.
      I would compare the o2 router to the old white netgear one, with the initial FW (and with UPnP enabled) when Sky first launched performance and quality wise. When I was with o2 I used the Sagem Sky router flashed with generic FW and it completely out performed it.

I personally prefer to use my DGND3700 as I now have the ability to look at connecting my own LAN with those of a couple of close friends, as well as the other reasons mentioned earlier today (i.e. 1Gbit LAN, 300mb/s WiFi, dual band, QoS, USB storage).
      I rest my case m'lud.

Those that need it, the better quality router, the more advanced stuff etc - Sky are obviously not bothered if you use it, unofficially of course, and no one at Sky would ever admit that.

They don't have to give you any support, you as well as the other 5% of people are technically competent.

Hence why Sky give the most basic router that normally just works.

The message is really quite simple in my eyes, either use Sky's basic router and they will give you all the support that you may need, or use your own top spec router, either way, it caters for the 95% incompetent and the other 5% who are. It's a win win situation for Sky.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Mr Mot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMCAN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

The WNDR3700, does it support NAT loopback?

That's the only thing putting me off getting one to replace my Billion 7800n when I switch to fibre on the 19th.

I'd stick with the billion but lack of 5Ghz and mostly apple laptops in the house makes file transfers slow.

Don't want to use an airport extreme as UPnP is crap and a few other things aren't too good on them.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

You may wish to check on the Netgear forums whether NAT loopback is supported: WNDR3700 Discussion Forums - NETGEAR Forums

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I would compare the o2 router to the old white netgear one, with the initial FW (and with UPnP enabled) when Sky first launched performance and quality wise. When I was with o2 I used the Sagem Sky router flashed with generic FW and it completely out performed it.

I rest my case m'lud.

Those that need it, the better quality router, the more advanced stuff etc - Sky are obviously not bothered if you use it, unofficially of course, and no one at Sky would ever admit that.

They don't have to give you any support, you as well as the other 5% of people are technically competent.

Hence why Sky give the most basic router that normally just works.

The message is really quite simple in my eyes, either use Sky's basic router and they will give you all the support that you may need, or use your own top spec router, either way, it caters for the 95% incompetent and the other 5% who are. It's a win win situation for Sky.
      We all have our own thoughts on routers and its like wine, down to personal choice... But I do have to smirk at your comment about use a sky router and get all the support you need... im now on my 4th week of issues with my IP range... not a router issue granted but goes to show even when you are a good boy (like me) and do use their router or equipment support cant always help... Saying that I do get nice calls from a man in skys tech support twice a week lol if I was still with BT I bet I would be still stuck in their IVR system somewhere lol. Me wanting a better router is sky's fault anyway... Becuase I believe in Better!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      We all have our own thoughts on routers and its like wine, down to personal choice... But I do have to smirk at your comment about use a sky router and get all the support you need... im now on my 4th week of issues with my IP range... not a router issue granted but goes to show even when you are a good boy (like me) and do use their router or equipment support cant always help... Saying that I do get nice calls from a man in skys tech support twice a week lol if I was still with BT I bet I would be still stuck in their IVR system somewhere lol. Me wanting a better router is sky's fault anyway... Becuase I believe in Better!
      We have issues with the latest IP range mate. It is going to take at least a week to sort. If people had not made us aware we could not have resolved it, nor would we have even known about it.

The IP issues are not Sky's fault though IMO - It's a case of keeping up technically.

Nothing wrong with being a good boy though. Support can only go by what they are told. Hope the nice man that keeps ringing you, can give me Sky Movies and Sky Sports for free, will you ask him for me? pmsl

If I was with BT I would have given up 20 years ago. Busby Rules KO!!!!!

/can you feel the love here?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      We have issues with the latest IP range mate. It is going to take at least a week to sort. If people had not made us aware we could not have resolved it, nor would we have even known about it.

The IP issues are not Sky's fault though IMO - It's a case of keeping up technically.

Nothing wrong with being a good boy though. Support can only go by what they are told. Hope the nice man that keeps ringing you, can give me Sky Movies and Sky Sports for free, will you ask him for me? pmsl

If I was with BT I would have given up 20 years ago. Busby Rules KO!!!!!

/can you feel the love here?
      The IP thing is a strange one, I understand its how websites filter them but the website I have the biggest issue with is sky news and watching it live. They fixed it and then when I got the new N router from sky the IP changed again to another new one lol. The national lottery thought I was outside of the UK. I am sure the guy I speak to is at easy net or some other company but he calls from a london number? He says no freebies until the issue is sorted.. I am after free sports for the F1.

On another note, I could have done with a better router and fibre as I have just been updating my itunes content to 1080p. My poor connection was taking 1Hr and 14mins for a 1.69GB Tv show. At this rate to update all the content I may be better waiting for fibre to be installed

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mot View Post
      The WNDR3700, does it support NAT loopback?

That's the only thing putting me off getting one to replace my Billion 7800n when I switch to fibre on the 19th.

I'd stick with the billion but lack of 5Ghz and mostly apple laptops in the house makes file transfers slow.

Don't want to use an airport extreme as UPnP is crap and a few other things aren't too good on them.
      It suck having to use the AE in bridge mode, but the dual band wifi is great for sharing between macs. I think im obsessed with those little white boxes tho.. they seem to be breeding in my house lol
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router help WNDR3700-screen-shot-2012-03-03-09.42.55.jpg  

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

No offences guys, but we seem to have wandered away from the OPs original query.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast