Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree12Likes

router help WNDR3700

This is a discussion on router help WNDR3700 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; http://www.speedtest.net/result/1817963387.png this is the speeds i am getting at the min i am about 100 to 120 meters away from ...

sparky678911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Netgear R6300
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: router help WNDR3700

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1817963387.png

this is the speeds i am getting at the min i am about 100 to 120 meters away from exchange

2. Advertisement
      morgee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham
      Router: Sky Q Silver Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Can someone please tell me why they feel the need to use a non Sky router please?
      I am using the Sky router and have no problems. It flies.
      What exactly is the benefit of a non Sky router over the supplied router from Sky?
      Have I missed a trick here.

sparky678911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear R6300
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

i want to use a non sky router cos i want the gigabit ports and i want a better make that just me
      Scubbie and morgee like this.

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morgee View Post
      Can someone please tell me why they feel the need to use a non Sky router please?
      I am using the Sky router and have no problems. It flies.
      What exactly is the benefit of a non Sky router over the supplied router from Sky?
      Have I missed a trick here.
      Its each to their own but here is a short list of why I would like to use a BETTER router be it a sky or alternative:

Dual Band Wifi or Better wireless N
      Gigabit ports
      USB for external hard drives
      Better user interface to allow more control -QOS

On a product that offers such high speeds why restrict the equipment to what was used on adsl
      Scubbie, morgee and sparky678911 like this.

Exchange:
      Thanks

To be honest, I do not think sky can continue to use the we only support the "Sky Router" line for much longer. As FTTC requires an Openreach Modem, this equipment can confirm that the line is operational and they have to ask BTO to do any fault finding on lines. As far as I understand all a sky router does is authenticate a user, I think they could offer a small list of routers that customers can use depending on their needs. At the end of the day, not having to send loads of routers out would save sky money and other ISPs allow this. If a customer wants to use an alternative router and have issues then they understand sky can only confirm that the line is working....
      Last edited by Ipster; 07-03-12 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling.. doh!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think they could offer a small list of routers that customers can use depending on their needs.
      To do this Sky would have to change their log in procedure, which with millions of users they will be very reluctant to do. In the case of Fibre it seems they are not using PPPoA at all, which means that many routers will not even be compatible. There are some which support MER, but many don't and so far none are able to use Sky's particular method.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      On a product that offers such high speeds why restrict the equipment to what was used on adsl
      Whole heartedly agree, but Sky will never open things up so any user can easily use whatever equipment they choose.
      Quite simply, from a CS standpoint, it would be a nightmare. At present, if there's a technical porblem, they only need to be dealing with 5-6 different Sky routers. If we all chose our own router, they would need to have knowledge of every router on the market.

As for the current Fibre router, I think it's just a temporary stop gap.
      The cheapest way to get fibre out there and tested on the trial, modify the firmware of a router they already use, and bob's your uncle.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a dedicated Fibre router in the pipeline.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a dedicated Fibre router in the pipeline.
      There is. No details to offer yet though apart from what we published piccies of ages ago.

router help WNDR3700-24yz81h.jpg

Although we believe it possibly no longer looks like that.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

fazedup (07-03-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm not saying sky should have 5 different routers I'm suggesting they have a recommendation list. If a customer chooses to use these they accept that support will be limited.

This is not a new thing other ISPs even those offering fibre. Or at least remove it from breaching the terms and conditions. Even if they did allow customers to have their own router most would still take the free option.

I think sky offer a great service but they need to keep up with other ISPs both on service and equipment.

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      I'm not saying sky should have 5 different routers I'm suggesting they have a recommendation list. If a customer chooses to use these they accept that support will be limited.

This is not a new thing other ISPs even those offering fibre. Or at least remove it from breaching the terms and conditions. Even if they did allow customers to have their own router most would still take the free option.

I think sky offer a great service but they need to keep up with other ISPs both on service and equipment.
      Sky currently do have 5 or 6 different routers (D-Link, 3 x Sagems, 2 x Netgears. I'm sure there's more I haven't mentioned).

I agree with everything your saying, Sky should allow users the option to choose whatever hardware they see fit, a lot of other ISP's allow this.

But they won't. Whilst many members of this forum would love the option, we are infact the minority.
      As long as 95% of Sky BB's customer base are completely happy to just plug in a standard Sky router and be done with it as it suits their needs, Sky are not going to go to the expense of training up hundreds of Technical Support staff in the finer nuances of different routers on the market, or indeed a recommended list of 3rd party routers.

Sky want to keep the technical support side as things as simple and as cost effective as possible.

I have the ability to purchase superior hardware, and the knowledge to set up and troubleshoot my own problems. So I don't agree with Sky policy on enforcing their own hardware, however I understand as a business, why they adopt this stance.
      Last edited by fazedup; 07-03-12 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typos
      NewsreadeR likes this.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast