Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poll: Would you take Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Like Tree19Likes

Would you take Sky Fibre?

This is a discussion on Would you take Sky Fibre? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Do remember that whilst all the other providers have been selling FTTC products for around 2 ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Would you take Sky Fibre?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Do remember that whilst all the other providers have been selling FTTC products for around 2 years, there will be many of those customers who may want to jump across to Sky for the improved peak time speeds and unmetered access. So long as Sky can maintain the backhaul and servers, there should be no slowing down of traffic during evenings and weekends.
      Good point.

I am beginning to wish that I had jumped ship to another ISP for fibre about a year ago when my line first became "FTTC available" - simply to get the faster speed.

As someone said somewhere, other ISPs using BT Wholesale products can be speed limited to (I think) 30Mbps at peak times - well half that would do nicely for me.

And usage caps such as Plusnet's 120GB (+ unlimited off peak midnight to 8am) are not necessarily a problem for me (my highest monthly usage in 2011 was 86.81GB).

I've kept the faith with Sky because I like their products, I have generally been a satisfied customer, I admire their commitment to date on a truly unlimited and no traffic management policy and (for better or worse) I've got a few of their shares in my pension scheme (which is what I like to do with some big companies that I am a customer of).

I've waited patiently for SBUF to be announced and now I'm waiting increasingly impatiently for product launch - heaven knows what I'll be like waiting for an install!

But thinking about it, by the time I get an order accepted in April (subject to April 12 launch date) and an install date (say another 2 or 3 weeks after that), I probably COULD have had 12 months with someone else giving me a faster connection and then come back to Sky!

If only I hadn't mislaid my crystal ball a couple of years ago! Now where's that number for "Fibreholics Identified"?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Foresight is a wonderful gift.

We were speculating that SBUF might have been launched last September around this time last year. The fact that we now have a date, price and better knowledge of the product is great.

I just hope that when BTO finally get around to upgrading my exchange, a suitable FTTC cabinet is located near where I live in time for the launch and I don't suffer the delays that some members have experienced with their local exchanges going live.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Good point.

I am beginning to wish that I had jumped ship to another ISP for fibre about a year ago when my line first became "FTTC available" - simply to get the faster speed.

As someone said somewhere, other ISPs using BT Wholesale products can be speed limited to (I think) 30Mbps at peak times - well half that would do nicely for me.

And usage caps such as Plusnet's 120GB (+ unlimited off peak midnight to 8am) are not necessarily a problem for me (my highest monthly usage in 2011 was 86.81GB).

I've kept the faith with Sky because I like their products, I have generally been a satisfied customer, I admire their commitment to date on a truly unlimited and no traffic management policy and (for better or worse) I've got a few of their shares in my pension scheme (which is what I like to do with some big companies that I am a customer of).

I've waited patiently for SBUF to be announced and now I'm waiting increasingly impatiently for product launch - heaven knows what I'll be like waiting for an install!

But thinking about it, by the time I get an order accepted in April (subject to April 12 launch date) and an install date (say another 2 or 3 weeks after that), I probably COULD have had 12 months with someone else giving me a faster connection and then come back to Sky!

If only I hadn't mislaid my crystal ball a couple of years ago! Now where's that number for "Fibreholics Identified"?
      I held out for sky and it was definitely worth it. I could of had BT Infinity/Plusnet back in September last year.

Remember that BT and Plusnet lock you into a 18 month contract, so if you did this a year ago you would possibly have wait another 6 months longer for Sky
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Any poll on this site, and any other forum, is going to be a little prejudiced because of the interests of the group. However if the interest was low, then would you have questioned the result too?

The only fair way would be to hire a research company and get the to call say 1,000 people to see what the interest would be. Sky did do this and some members posted to say that they had been called. Just how many people were contacted I don't know.
      Out of 216 people voting yes, only 65 are actual members of this forum.

Whilst scientifically the poll maybe biased, in the wrong forum, or plainly just phrased wrong, however, people have found this thread and then voted.

I have a hunch that people once they are offered Sky Fibre, will take it.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I voted yes. Although I get 6.1mbps on my ADSL line I also have cable which I am keeping.

We get 100/10 and that's enough for the moment. I guess at 34.75 a month it's good value. The price has surely come down.

But if Sky offered us the same service as Virgin I would dump them like a shot for Sky. I just like the way sky do things.

But that's not likely to happen.. ever so I just use both.

Thanks

In about 10 years I am sure that we will be witnessing the demise of ADSL connections as more and more people move across to FTTP.

The promise of blistering speeds with FTTP for the home environment would make most of those who are into this topic dribble a great deal.

Currently BTO are to offer 300mb/s downstream connections with FTTP on a commercial basis from Summer 2013. I can't find a reference to the upstream connection. Currently there are various trials happening to establish the feasibility of this product. All the major ISPs have been involved in these trials, including Sky & Virgin.

In due course it is expected that FTTP could offer the public 1Gbit downstream connections, with 600mb upstream.

Today such speeds seem perhaps OTT for most people, but I am sure that with the introduction of IPTV (launching soon) and the ever increasing demand that many people are already placing on their existing connections, it will seem slow by the time we finally get it.

Remember too that many individual computers currently struggle to take full advantage of a 1Gbit LAN. It is only when we have multiple computers that things start to get busy in many cases, or when people move huge data files around their home network that such speeds are currently appreciated.

Today we talk about HD TV, which has a resolution of up to 1920x1080. Already there are products being made to support Ultra High Definition TV (7,6804,320). To put this into context, it is the same resolution that many Digital Cinemas use. It may also be known as 4320p or 8K.

Streaming such content through your ADSL connection would be like streaming 3D HD TV content through a 56k modem.

So whilst there may be a lot of people who would consider that ADSL is adequate for them today, which I can understand, in 10 years I suspect that most will have moved on from FTTC and be demanding FTTP.

Ultra High Definition Television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      speedyrite, jayhab and gorebrush like this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williammorris View Post
      I voted yes. Although I get 6.1mbps on my ADSL line I also have cable which I am keeping.

We get 100/10 and that's enough for the moment. I guess at 34.75 a month it's good value. The price has surely come down.

But if Sky offered us the same service as Virgin I would dump them like a shot for Sky. I just like the way sky do things.

But that's not likely to happen.. ever so I just use both.

I just wish virgin would spend less money on junk mail to homes that they will not feed with fibre and spend it on their network. I get at least 3 mail drops a week telling me to move to virgin a cable box is at the end of the street and yet they will not run a new pipe into the street.

Vrgin offer a nice package, at times yes it has speed issues but their biggest downfall is lack of investment. But at the end of the day its products and companies like Virgin and BT Infinity that makes sky push to offer something a bit different and unlike the other ISP's sky isnt afraid to spend money. I like Virgin as a brand just wish their engineers would not make houses look like spiders webs with cables all over the place.
      Scubbie likes this.

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      I just wish virgin would spend less money on junk mail to homes that they will not feed with fibre and spend it on their network. I get at least 3 mail drops a week telling me to move to virgin a cable box is at the end of the street and yet they will not run a new pipe into the street.

Vrgin offer a nice package, at times yes it has speed issues but their biggest downfall is lack of investment. But at the end of the day its products and companies like Virgin and BT Infinity that makes sky push to offer something a bit different and unlike the other ISP's sky isnt afraid to spend money. I like Virgin as a brand just wish their engineers would not make houses look like spiders webs with cables all over the place.
      Agreed with evey point you make. The 110M investment for higher speeds seems to be a good idea. But yes Sky seem to invest more but then again it costs them more. Those satellites aren't cheap!

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

<snip>

Scubbie, I want to "like" your post about 1,000 times if I could - People ask me "why do you want Fibre Optic broadband, you already get decent internet, I've only got 2/3Mbps blah blah".

It's because the speed is never going to be fast enough when users are, as you say, going to demand streaming video and things before they even realise they will need it. I think the way infrastructure is moving - it will probably kill disk formats once and for all - why would I bother buying the BluRay if I could stream it from the net for a small amount of money?

The same for music - that can all be streamed now and most of my collection is now digital - mainly because I can't be bothered to store all the CD's/DVD's I once had. I now run a VMWare server hosting a VM which serves all my media needs for my home and I'd much rather pay the few pounds a month to run the electric to that than worry about the 4/5 Billy bookcases full of stuff that I had to find space for.....

Telling you all, the way we consume media will be revolutionised because of the very fast internet connections we should hopefully all be receiving soon.
      speedyrite likes this.

Thanks

There is a lot of merit to streaming media content over the Internet, but I also like to have a physical copy of something too. All it takes is for someone to decide that you can no longer watch a particular title and you won't be able to download it anymore. This will be upsetting for some people as they may really enjoy watching re-runs of Catweazel, for example.

The amount that we use the Internet is growing every year. Monthly allowances of 40GB might be suitable for some people, but with last year's average monthly usage at around 17GB per month growing hugely, it isn't just the speeds that need to be improved.

There is no chance that any of this could be happening with 56k modems.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast