Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

Fibre cabinets

This is a discussion on Fibre cabinets within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Sorry, perhaps it is suitable to remind people that BDUK has a target to make Fibre ...

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Fibre cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sorry, perhaps it is suitable to remind people that BDUK has a target to make Fibre available to over 80% of the country by 2015, with even more by 2020. BTO are taking on the bulk of the work and will be going back to exchanges to increase capacity as required.

As Moxey has correctly stated, the 30-40% figure is the initial availability when an exchange goes on-line for Fibre. After that it is a matter of waiting for your specific address to be covered.

As for increasing capacity in those areas which are currently full, IMHO it is partially Sky's fault for taking so long to get a Fibre product launched that they cannot supply to these areas at all. Other suppliers are also unable to expand their business in those areas and customers will be complaining to everyone to get the capacity increased.

Looking at a business model, it would make complete sense to make Fibre available to a targeted area over a gradual period. This is not a short-term thing. Fibre is the current future of broadband in the UK and initial costs have been high. Once the price comes down, more will be inclined to sign up. The next major step will be to make FTTP the standard for everyone and for copper cabling to be removed from the ground.

In regards to FTTP is it the case that have to dig up all the way to your home? Or are they able to pull a fibre line all the way via the route the copper line is fed with less road works?

2. Advertisement
      fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The next major step will be to make FTTP the standard for everyone and for copper cabling to be removed from the ground.
      Which arguably....and with the benefit of hindsight, wouldn't have been exponentially more expensive than the FTTC rollout in the first place.
      Scubbie likes this.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      In regards to FTTP is it the case that have to dig up all the way to your home? Or are they able to pull a fibre line all the way via the route the copper line is fed with less road works?
      I would imagine that a large portion of Fibre can be pulled through existing conduits. I don't think BTO would need to dig up to every household.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

When sky dropped fibre to the premises into south harrow the pavements came up and a 2inch bundle of fibre went down

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dj_smurph View Post
      When sky dropped fibre to the premises into south harrow the pavements came up and a 2inch bundle of fibre went down
      seems rather expensive that way isn't it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dj_smurph View Post
      I'm not suggesting that there wouldn't be any digging involved, and sometimes there will be locations where there is not alternative but to dig.

There are other methods of deploying FTTH tho. Bournemouth for instance, H20 ran the majority of Fibre through the sewerage and drainage network, limiting the amount of disruption that comes with major excavation works.

FTTH has also been deployed via the good old Telegraph Pole. A different type of fibre cable, with an very durable outer sheathing is used for the drop from Telegraph Pole to the premises.

With the price of Copper being so high at present, Any new developement could deploy FTTH with minimal extra expense whilst in the construction phase. No disruption at all.

BT were trumpted on the technological front many years ago, (Remember the LLU ISP's having ADSL2+ years before BT. VM with Fibre) I think it was a little short sighted to opt for FTTC in favour of FTTP.
      Whilst welcomed, FTTC is only going to be good for around 80mbps. FTTH is capable of 1Gbps. This is the way forward for future proofing the country's digital infrastructure. IMHO, of course

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I guess that BTO made the decision that it would be better to get as many as possible onto a Fibre based product sooner by taking the FTTC router.

There has been a lot of political pressure placed on BDUK to reach targets quickly. This would have helped them push BTO to bid in a manner that would guarantee more customers in a short period.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

There has been a lot of political pressure placed on BDUK to reach targets quickly. This would have helped them push BTO to bid in a manner that would guarantee more customers in a short period.
      Call me a cynic, but I believe the driving factor behind BT opting for FTTC over FTTP is cost, not time constraints or targets.

It's a hefty bullet to bite, but Verizon in the US have got the cost down to around $500 (330?) per customer. That includes Fibre cabling, CPE Kit, the lot.
      I believe a company as large as BT (Size and revenue), should be inovators, not playing catch up with the rest of the world. Asia is far ahead of the UK in FTTP deployment.

BT are only going to have to go back in X years time and do it all over again.

Sorry, may appear that I'm heaping scorn on BT, I'm not Anti, honestly! Just believe they should be doing better.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

That's Politics for you
      fazedup likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

JimL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashington Northumberland
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Hope you guys can help. My BT phone contract is due for renewal,i am on a fairly long line and only recieve 1.8mb. My exchange is Ashington Northumberland cabinet no 31,will i recieve Sky Fibre soon as my exchange is due to be upgraded in June 2012.If i am fortunate to recieve Fibre i will move phone contract to Sky.

Many thanks Jim.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast