Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree7Likes

Fibre cabinets

This is a discussion on Fibre cabinets within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by fazedup My case in point. FTTC isn't going to be available to 100% of customers when an ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Fibre cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      My case in point. FTTC isn't going to be available to 100% of customers when an exchange goes live. BT will upgrade x% of cabs per exchange, then go back and fill in the blanks in the future.
      The average number of homes connected initially is between 30-40%.

This is one reason why it is important to use an availability checker to see if a particular home can receive FTTC or SBUF.

As it will be a little more complex with Sky than for BT Infinity (i.e. need for LLU and FTTC Equipment), as well as ensuring that there is spare capacity in the local cabinet (many are now full).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Out of interest how many people can be connected to the cabinet? Mines just down road and it's a lot bigger than the BT cabinet it's next to

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2003 View Post
      Out of interest how many people can be connected to the cabinet? Mines just down road and it's a lot bigger than the BT cabinet it's next to
      I would imagaine that ultimately, the Fibre cabs will accomodate the same number of users that are currently connect to the old cabs.
      What I have been told, is that with the initial rollout, BT were only passing 100 connections between the new and old cabs. As these fill up, BT will have to phsically drag more connecting pairs between the cabs to keep up with demand.

EDIT: The new Fibre cabs are physically bigger, as they have to house the Fibre DSLAM aswell as all the connecting pairs.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fazedup For This Useful Post:

Paul2003 (11-03-12)

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      <snip>

As it will be a little more complex with Sky than for BT Infinity (i.e. need for LLU and FTTC Equipment), as well as ensuring that there is spare capacity in the local cabinet (many are now full).
      Yikes!

Not going to be very pleased to find that, after waiting loyally and patiently for SBUF to launch (fibre has been available to my line for at least a year now), there might be further delay because the cabinet is full up!

++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Not going to be very pleased to find that, after waiting loyally and patiently for SBUF to launch (fibre has been available to my line for at least a year now), there might be further delay because the cabinet is full up!
      If your cabinet is full, then you won't be able to get any FTTC product from any supplier until either someone leaves of BTO add more connections.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If your cabinet is full, then you won't be able to get any FTTC product from any supplier until either someone leaves of BTO add more connections.
      Maybe that's why they haven't called me to join the trial?!

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Yikes!

An example, I was connected to SBUF on Friday. The BTO Engineer told me that out of the 100 connections available in my Fibre cab, only 20 were left.
      This maybe proportionately higher than most as my Fibre cab serves quite a few High Street businesses, therefore the take up of FTTC might be slightly more than average. Maybe not.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Thanks
      Blog Entries

That's quite interesting. I suppose this could be a little bit of an issue in some areas, perhaps in more affluent areas where take up of fibre has gone well so far through other providers.

I was just doing a rough calculation. My exchange supports about 11,500 premises (not sure what that means in terms of number of lines, but let's assume 1 to 1 - which improbably isn't!). The highest voice cabinet number I have seen around the area is number 30. So, a crude estimate is that each "voice" cabinet supports about 380 lines. Now, if only 100 lines have been connected initially between the "voice" cabinet and the VDSL cabinet, that's about 25% of lines supported initially.

I wonder how quickly BTO will respond to increase capacity when it becomes needed? And what will that response be? String in another 100 lines? Max it out? Interesting times ahead, especially if SBUF takes off like a rocket (as the poll implies)!

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

I could be wrong but i think the 30-40% of people getting access to fiber could be a misconception, it is a figure that was banded around by some in the early stages of rollout and i remember reading a response from BTO disputing this figure and stating that it was from a few exchanges that had a low percentage of residential lines.
      I think some may see all the missed out PCP numbers on an exchange in that PCP to post code document and assume that only some peoples cabs are planned but from the extensive work i have done mapping out most of the PCP cabs from all 3 exchanges in my town (yes i know im a total geek ) it certainly looks like the vast majority if not all of missed out PCP numbers are cabs that cover industrial areas and some random cabs that apear to be maybe just junction points along the travel of cables etc so i think in reality the percentage of residential customers planned for fiber rollout will be considerably higher than 30-40% althought ofcause it can be some months after the exchange is marked as live that they finish connecting up all the cabs.

As for the capacity issues, Sky have said that there is currently quite a few exchanges that they can not take new installs on but have said they expect this to be sorted by their launch in mid April so i guess BTO are now having to go back and increase the capacity in those areas, this i would expect tho will inevitably have an impact on the continuing rollout and could explain why there was no twitter post at all last week for new exchanges accepting orders, the last bunch of exchanges posted were on Mon 27th Feb, lets hope there is a big post of new exchanges tomorrow tho im not holding my breath.

Thanks

Sorry, perhaps it is suitable to remind people that BDUK has a target to make Fibre available to over 80% of the country by 2015, with even more by 2020. BTO are taking on the bulk of the work and will be going back to exchanges to increase capacity as required.

As Moxey has correctly stated, the 30-40% figure is the initial availability when an exchange goes on-line for Fibre. After that it is a matter of waiting for your specific address to be covered.

As for increasing capacity in those areas which are currently full, IMHO it is partially Sky's fault for taking so long to get a Fibre product launched that they cannot supply to these areas at all. Other suppliers are also unable to expand their business in those areas and customers will be complaining to everyone to get the capacity increased.

Looking at a business model, it would make complete sense to make Fibre available to a targeted area over a gradual period. This is not a short-term thing. Fibre is the current future of broadband in the UK and initial costs have been high. Once the price comes down, more will be inclined to sign up. The next major step will be to make FTTP the standard for everyone and for copper cabling to be removed from the ground.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast