Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ethernet extension from master socker (TIP)

This is a discussion on Ethernet extension from master socker (TIP) within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A tip for anyone who is getting fibre installed Ask the BT installation person to run an ethernet extension to ...

MrH
      MrH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRMDW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Ethernet extension from master socker (TIP)

A tip for anyone who is getting fibre installed
      Ask the BT installation person to run an ethernet extension to your PC from the master socket as its part of the service. I did this and it was a no additional cost.

This was from one end of the room to the other !!
      So glad I did because its so more reliable than wireless.
      Last edited by MrH; 04-03-12 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Length of extension

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrH For This Useful Post:

fazedup (04-03-12)

3. Advertisement
      Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Re: Ethernet extension from master socker (TIP)

Could you please clarify exactly what type of extension you are refering to

An extension from the master socket to the BTO modem which got installed near to your pc
      An extension from the BTO modem installed at the master socket to the sky router placed near your pc
      An extension from the sky router placed near the BTO modem installed at the master socket to your pc

what i really need to find out is if you need an extension runnign from 1 room to another or in my case from the hallway into the living room, will the bt engineer drill a hole thru the wall to feed the cable into the other room or is that something that im going to have to get ready myself before the install

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Thanks

AFAIK, the BTO engineer will install the Modem close to the Master socket, then run a CAT5e extention from the modem to wherever the customer chooses to site the router.
      With regard to how the engineer will actually run the extention (Drill holes or tack the cable to the skirting), I don't know, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      Could you please clarify exactly what type of extension you are refering to

An extension from the BTO modem installed at the master socket to the sky router placed near your pc
      An extension from the sky router placed near the BTO modem installed at the master socket to your pc
      This could be one in the same thing. Or he might just have asked the engineer to run an extra extention, and he obliged.

I am going to ask the BTO engineer to run an extention from the modem in my lounge, up to a study on the first floor and site the router in there.
      I will then move the router back in the lounge, next to the modem and Sky Box. Bobs your uncle, i've got a free Cat5a extention installed.
      Last edited by fazedup; 05-03-12 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typos

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

MrH
      MrH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRMDW
      Thanks

He ran a CAT 5 extension from the inside of the master socket around the skirting board, to the PC at the other end of the room (using white cable tacks to fix the cable) at the end of the extension he fitted a connection box.
      This box allows the Openreach modem to plug into the extension (Not ethernet) then an ethernet cable connects from the open reach modem to the sky router and router to PC.

Hope this helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrH For This Useful Post:

dmobs (05-03-12)

dmobs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: smpen
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

I will only need mine to go from one side of the window to the other but it is good to know they are happy to put in a long connection if asked.

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I am assuming they won't provide this service if your master socket is at the other end of the house to where the router currently is ?

Currently my Sky ADSL router is plugged into an extension socket (which is internally wired in the walls into the back of the master socket) 4 rooms away from the master socket. If the modem needs to be near the master socket then I am going to have to use homeplugs to connect the router to the modem. Or am I ?

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
      I am assuming they won't provide this service if your master socket is at the other end of the house to where the router currently is ?

Currently my Sky ADSL router is plugged into an extension socket (which is internally wired in the walls into the back of the master socket) 4 rooms away from the master socket. If the modem needs to be near the master socket then I am going to have to use homeplugs to connect the router to the modem. Or am I ?
      A couple of options;

This seems to need a little clarity. But MrH's post seems to indicate that the BTO Engineer, to all intents and purposes, moved his Master Socket to a move convenient position, and installed the Modem and Router together.

What I do know is, if the BTO Engineer installs the Openreach modem close to your current Master Socket, you can ask him/her to run a Cat5e ethernet extention to wherever you choose to site your router. (Close to Sky box, PC elsewhere in the house, etc. etc.)

My install is in around 13 hours (Not counting, of course), So i'll be sure to quiz the Engineer about what he can/can't be bothered to do

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

If you look at the FAQ this question has hopefully been addressed:

27. Can I connect the Modem to my telephone Extension?

No. The FTTC Modem must be connected to the Master Socket. However, the Ethernet cable that runs from the Modem to the Sky router can be up to 100m long! So theoretically, you could place the router elsewhere in your home. The BT Openreach Installation Engineer will have a roll of Cat 5e cable that can be cut to length to provide this extension if you do not have something ready yourself.

As BT Openreach is supplying the Modem, their responsibility for your service no longer ends at the Master or Test Socket, as it did with ADSL connections. BTO’s responsibility now finishes with the FTTC Modem.

28. My Master Socket is in a place where there is no power or is likely to be damaged by passing family members, will the BTO Engineer move it?

It has been known for BTO to move the master socket. It would be a good idea to ask this when placing your order so that Sky can be made aware and make notes for the BTO Installation Engineer.

There may be an additional charge for this service.
      It has been established that the maximum length of cable they will cut is 30m and that for the purposes of the trial, no one has been charged that I am aware of. Some ISPs may allow BTO to charge for this extension, so this has yet to be confirmed by Sky.

With regards to drilling holes on walls, many firms now forbid any employees from doing this unless absolutely required (e.g. Sky Installers will drill from outside, but not through internal walls).

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dpb
      dpb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: swadlincote
      Thanks

I'm not sure we are all talking the same with reference to extensions etc - I posted this on 01/03/12 and was a little surprised I had no comments made :
      "First off Installation - we have master socket by front door & 2 'hard-wired' extensions i.e when house built approx 4 yrs ago. I had call from wife to say engineer had been to house and just popped back to cabinet to connect up. To my surprise, he had installed modem / new socket faceplate etc in lounge 'extension' behind the tv. I was a bit concerned and asked if he could call me when back at house. He did, and was really friendly / helpful and said no problem with using this socket because it was wired direct from master and was 'full size' whatever that means ?"

As you can see from my speed test results - not bad for 700m from cabinet and connected to what was an internal 'extension'

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Ethernet extension from master socket (TIP)

From my understanding, having discussed it with a couple of people, BTO have what is referred to by them as 'An Extension Kit' at their disposal. They have a few choices to make when the Master Socket is located in a place where it is not suitable to access the Router or Modem.
      1. the Master Socket can be moved to a more suitable location
      2. a longer lead to connect the Modem to the socket can be made (I believe up to 30m, but could be less)
      3. a length of Cat 5e cable can be used to make a length or Ethernet Cable (up to 30m) so that the Modem can connect to the Router

What I am not sure about is whether Sky has agreed to pay any additional fees or whether we, their customers, will be billed. What I have described above has been used by BTO with other ISPs. Some may waive the costs, others may pass them on.

As previously mentioned, many installers no longer like to drill holes through internal walls, etc. If I recall correctly BTO is one such firm.

As for using FTTC on an internal Telephone Extension, as opposed to the Master Socket, this is not going to happen. The signal loss has been recognised with ADSL2+ on this forum for a long time. I would imagine that it would be much worse with FTTC.

For the future, should FTTP be used, then using a telephone extension for your broadband connection would be out of the question.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast