Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Like Tree38Likes

Sky Fibre hopeful

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre hopeful within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by geezerone @speedyrite - I am with Plusnet ( BB and just recently Phone too) and have been ...

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by geezerone View Post
      @speedyrite - I am with Plusnet (BB and just recently Phone too) and have been for years but went for Fibre last year (FTTC) as a triallist so got the benefit of Fibre without having to pay an extra 10 for it luckily and whilst it's great - the 60GB allowance I had before on ADSL2+ was eaten up rather too fast! Sky Unlimited is attractive but I am curious as to the contention and actual data throughput in practice.

They are due a product refresh soon and the feeling (and it's just that) is they will probably (have to) increase the usage allowances - that is what I am hoping for as are others according to a poll there. The thing with PN is they do advertise of traffic shaping which varies according to product and the 120GB Fibre product does restrict most activities to 10MB or less most of the day so that is something to bear in mind currently until a new set of products is released (usually around April).

I am keeping my options open still though I am paying about half what Sky are charging so will wait and see...
      From my understanding Plusnet use BT backhaul so thats why you get shaping and the cheaper FTTC from other ISP either have a usage cap or use BT's backhaul or both. Sky fibre will offer unlimited usage with no shaping and use their own backhaul giving them more control

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ipster For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (18-02-12)

3. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      From my understanding Plusnet use BT backhaul so thats why you get shaping and the cheaper FTTC from other ISP either have a usage cap or use BT's backhaul or both. Sky fibre will offer unlimited usage with no shaping and use their own backhaul giving them more control
      Thanks for reminding me why I need to keep resisting the urge to get Plusnet now and wait for Sky!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Thanks for reminding me why I need to keep resisting the urge to get Plusnet now and wait for Sky!
      Just keep an eye out for sky's updates on fibre. We are yet to see if they charge any more if you are not a sky tv customer... Sky do spoil us with unlimited and unshaped internet but they do shove a very locked down router with no usb, or gig ports on the back. Unless the sky fibre router can be cracked and other non sky router used (against sky terms and conditions) some users will end up with a Openreach modem, a sky router, then a more powerful switch.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Just keep an eye out for sky's updates on fibre. We are yet to see if they charge any more if you are not a sky tv customer... Sky do spoil us with unlimited and unshaped internet but they do shove a very locked down router with no usb, or gig ports on the back. Unless the sky fibre router can be cracked and other non sky router used (against sky terms and conditions) some users will end up with a Openreach modem, a sky router, then a more powerful switch.
      I'm watching closely and waiting for fibre broadband from Sky. Been a Sky TV customer since May 2002, Sky Broadband customer since July 2007 and Sky Talk since March 2009. Generally been quite happy with all services.

Will be quite happy to pay 20 a month for fibre, which will give me 9 to 10 times my current download speed. Heck, I was paying 23 a month when we first got ADSL Broadband back in 2001 and it was a 512Kb/s connection (I can't remember what actual speed we got back then, but it was a darned sight faster than Dial-Up which we started out on around 1997). My how times have changed eh?!
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      I'm watching closely and waiting for fibre broadband from Sky. Been a Sky TV customer since May 2002, Sky Broadband customer since July 2007 and Sky Talk since March 2009. Generally been quite happy with all services.

Will be quite happy to pay 20 a month for fibre, which will give me 9 to 10 times my current download speed. Heck, I was paying 23 a month when we first got ADSL Broadband back in 2001 and it was a 512Kb/s connection (I can't remember what actual speed we got back then, but it was a darned sight faster than Dial-Up which we started out on around 1997). My how times have changed eh?!
      Same here, before sky I was with BT -25 a month plus cat and was half the speed I now get with sky.... Oh I recall those days when my ZX Spectrum was the most upto date computer lol

geezerone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet FTTC
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

You're welcome. I fully understand waiting and rightly so as the Sky 'unlimited' option does look attractive especially if they lower the cost below 20 and have 8Mbps+ upload speeds. Difficult to downgrade from FTTC to a good deal of a year's free line rental and free unlimited BB on ADSL2+ (approx. 17Mbps) but will keep waiting to see what hand they play.

geezerone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet FTTC
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Yes, they have to purchase bandwidth from BT so understand how it's not easy competing with LLU providers like Sky and Stalk Stalk.

Sky Unlimited does look attractive on paper - just hope they don't shape traffic as it's amazing how much data Fibre can pass. Spoke to an advisor who couldn't tell me anymore but as a guide it was to be around 17-20 for Fibre as a guide.

Wonder if Sky would offer the 80/20 that is being rolled out?

Remember paying 25 for 512kbps - now that was noticeable over POP dial-up service - more so than Fibre from ADSL upgrade!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geezerone View Post
      Yes, they have to purchase bandwidth from BT so understand how it's not easy competing with LLU providers like Sky and Stalk Stalk.

Sky Unlimited does look attractive on paper - just hope they don't shape traffic as it's amazing how much data Fibre can pass. Spoke to an advisor who couldn't tell me anymore but as a guide it was to be around 17-20 for Fibre as a guide.

Wonder if Sky would offer the 80/20 that is being rolled out?

Remember paying 25 for 512kbps - now that was noticeable over POP dial-up service - more so than Fibre from ADSL upgrade!

Some sky staff are already have a trial of faster speeds of above the intal 40/2 that will be offered to customers. That doesnt confirm that sky will offer 80/20 soon but it does mean that at least they are looking at it.

gfsracing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: worksop
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im currently on a LLU exchange which is quite a few miles away and get 0.8mb dl and 0.60 ul.

We have just had a new grren box installed about 20m from our house.

Does this mean that i will get the full 40mb Dl . If so this is some improvedment over 0.8mb, i think we might notice this difference

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gfsracing View Post
      im currently on a <abbr title="Local loop unbundling">LLU</abbr> exchange which is quite a few miles away and get 0.8mb dl and 0.60 ul.

We have just had a new grren box installed about 20m from our house.

Does this mean that i will get the full 40mb Dl . If so this is some improvedment over 0.8mb, i think we might notice this difference
      Just becuase a new green cabinet it placed near you, its not always the case that you are connected to it. If you leave your postcode on the forums someone can check what cabinet if any your postcode is associated with... then its a case of checking to see if the cabinet numbers match.

The speeds are calculated from the box to the house, best way is to check to see if youe exchange is accepting orders, then check to see what speeds BT can give. Sky will launch with a 40/2 connection from what we have been told so far..
      Last edited by Ipster; 20-02-12 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Really really bad spelling lol

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast