Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Like Tree38Likes

Sky Fibre hopeful

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre hopeful within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme I thought this was only required in Conservation Areas? Gawd no, it's all subject to planning. ...

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I thought this was only required in Conservation Areas?
      Gawd no, it's all subject to planning. The local councils own most of the pavements / roads where these cabs are sited, to boot. This is part of the reason why old and new cabs are not always right next to each other, which would be the most practical for passing connections between them.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fazedup For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (24-03-12)

3. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I was under the impression that BTO had to apply for planning permission for all their Green Street Boxes as technically they are permanent structures.

I recall too that some people in St. Albans complained about the cabinets and planning permission was denied. So some areas won't get FTTC or FTTP for a while as a result.

thinkbroadband :: Uproar over fibre cabinets in St Albans

Whilst searching for the above story, I also found a similar one for Brighton:

thinkbroadband :: Conservationists battle BT over fibre broadband cabinets in Brighton

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Exert from your first link Scubbie-
      The issue of conservation areas will also impact on FTTC coverage, as it did in Muswell Hill, St Albans and other places. BT has code powers that means outside conservation areas they do not need planning permission. The problem is that the ideal location may be in the conservation area but many of the properties are outside it. More expensive solutions of course are possible, such as waterproofing hardware so that it can be located underground, but this makes general maintenance more expensive.

,,and from the second one, which concerns a conservation area.
      "We do fully appreciate the concerns of the conservation and amenities committees regarding the siting of our super-fast broadband cabinets in certain parts of the city.
      We are committed to working with local authorities to minimise the visual impact of the new street cabinets, and have done this successfully in other conservation areas."

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

No problem.

Thanks

Indeed, good spot Isitme.

Exert from BTO's website.

"Under Part 24 of the Town & Country Planning Act BT as a Code Operator has deemed planning permission to install Cabinets so no notification at the planning stage is required in most cases under this piece of legislation. However if the Cabinet is to be installed in Article 1 (5) land i.e. National Parks , Conservation Areas etc then a Prior Notification application must be sent to the Local Planning Authority (LPA). They then decide if the application has to go through the process and if it does they have 56 calendar days in which to consult interested parties and consider the application. The LPA can refuse the application on the grounds of siting and appearance only. However if no written rejection has been received within the 56 days installation can commence. Under Para 5 of the Electronic Communications Code (Conditions and Restrictions) Regulations 2003 BT must notice the LPA of our intention to install any Cabinet. The LPA do not have the power to veto any site but they can request conditions to be attached to the installation and they have up to one calendar month to do this. However BT can reject these conditions if they feel they are not reasonably practicable. In order to install the Cabinets BT must notice the Highway Authority via the New Roads & Street Works Noticing system when they intend to work in the street. This allows the Highway Authority to ensure there is no clash with other Utilities who may be working in the same area and so avoid any unnecessary congestion."

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      Exert from BTO's website.

".....In order to install the Cabinets BT must notice the Highway Authority via the New Roads & Street Works Noticing system when they intend to work in the street. ......"
      Nice 1 fazedup, theres been many mentions on here about using elgin to see when roadworks are planned for NGA Cab instalations but frustratingly elgin does not cover my local authority so was of no use to me but after googling that new roads & street works noticing system reference i came across another site that does cover my area so thank you

Roadworks Online

Today i drove past a cab from the other exchange still to be done near me which had road works around it so was looking like things are starting to happen for that exchange now, after finding this site i can confirm that all the box locations for that 2nd exchange have planned works listed over the next 2 weeks for NGA cab installations and all the related poly/power duct works, sadly theres nothing on their yet for my exchanges cab locations (just knew mine would be last of the 3 here to get done) but at least its getting closer and that 2nd exchange is only small with not many cabs so hopefully shouldnt take that long and it was only a few weeks from first seeing the NGA cabs for the 1st exchange to it going 'accepting orders'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      Nice 1 fazedup, theres been many mentions on here about using elgin to see when roadworks are planned for NGA Cab instalations but frustratingly elgin does not cover my local authority so was of no use to me but after googling that new roads & street works noticing system reference i came across another site that does cover my area so thank you

Roadworks Online

Today i drove past a cab from the other exchange still to be done near me which had road works around it so was looking like things are starting to happen for that exchange now, after finding this site i can confirm that all the box locations for that 2nd exchange have planned works listed over the next 2 weeks for NGA cab installations and all the related poly/power duct works, sadly theres nothing on their yet for my exchanges cab locations (just knew mine would be last of the 3 here to get done) but at least its getting closer and that 2nd exchange is only small with not many cabs so hopefully shouldnt take that long and it was only a few weeks from first seeing the NGA cabs for the 1st exchange to it going 'accepting orders'
      Glad to be of assistance, albeit inadvertently!

staffsfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Today's the day, awaiting the Openreach person as I type !

jayhab likes this.

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staffsfc View Post
      Today's the day, awaiting the Openreach person as I type !
      Are you having a standard install or do you need extra cable laying / router moving etc?

staffsfc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Nuneaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Hi jayhab,

Just a standard install, phone socket under window, little table next to it for routers with mains extention for the 2 mains adaptors. Using wireless as we have 2x PCs, laptop and android phones in house.

Will post new speed when up and running, before luchtime if all goes to plan.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast