Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Like Tree38Likes

Sky Fibre hopeful

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre hopeful within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR Another ex Plusnetter here, remember, in their own words, we have never done 'unlimited internet'. Even ...

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre hopeful

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Another ex Plusnetter here, remember, in their own words, we have never done 'unlimited internet'. Even though that was the reason I left, I was on it and they took it off me.
      It still irks me to this day! The birth of the FUP.

Plusnet.....Totally unlimited broadband *

*Unless you use it too much

I still had 6 months to run on my contract and was one of the first to fight tooth and nail and be allowed to leave, due to the fact they had moved the goal posts so much.
      After migrating away, I was fairly rapidy barred from posting in their forum

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

2. Advertisement
      sirbadger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSWWS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      It still irks me to this day! The birth of the FUP.

Plusnet.....Totally unlimited broadband *

*Unless you use it too much

I still had 6 months to run on my contract and was one of the first to fight tooth and nail and be allowed to leave, due to the fact they had moved the goal posts so much.
      After migrating away, I was fairly rapidy barred from posting in their forum
      Does this mean their 5 pro add-on doesn't offer a truely unshaped service?

TBH, i'd i'm unlikely to move but sky don't know that (unless they read this )

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sirbadger View Post
      Does this mean their 5 pro add-on doesn't offer a truely unshaped service?

TBH, i'd i'm unlikely to move but sky don't know that (unless they read this )
      When I was at Plusnet I had 2 accounts, one for home and one for work. It was sold as an unlimited, and unshaped service.

Then it was a case of everyone downloading Linux Distros, and obviously Plusnet had too little bandwith. They then started using ellacoyas, and then BT bought them etc - Then it was an about turn, we never sold unlimited etc and so I left along with hundreds of others.

After what they did to the early adopters of Plusnet all those years ago, completely destroyed any trust I have in them as a company.

They may say that for an extra fiver it is unlimited and unshaped, and tbh I have no way of disproving that either way.

However, if you asked, would I trust them, no, not even if they were the last ISP on the earth.

I would rather send an ordinary letter 2nd class, and completely do without email, as well as use a 56k dialup modem for access, then spend another penny with them ever again.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

The Plusnet pro add-on prioritises VoIP, gaming, VPN and FTP transfers.

So no, it's not completely without Traffic Shaping. As they are not mentioned, I would imagine HTTP Downloads and Torrents are still throttled.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Bartlet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

I was perfectly happy with Plusnet - everything worked at full line speed. Then things started to slow. A usenet download would crawl along at 50kbps while http downloads were still at line speed for example. The staff's forum answers were "no, we're not throttling anything, the fault must be with the server/you". Sometime later "we're testing something, but we've not turned it on yet". Then they finally became open and honest and explained their Ellacoyas. It was too late - the bridge of trust had been burned.

To their unhappy customers it very much looked like cutting their expenditure on capacity while at the same time boosting their customer numbers with slick deals to make their balance sheet look attractive to a buyer. BT subsequently confirmed that theory.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlet View Post
      To their unhappy customers it very much looked like cutting their expenditure on capacity while at the same time boosting their customer numbers with slick deals to make their balance sheet look attractive to a buyer. BT subsequently confirmed that theory.
      There was a school of thought at the time, that the only reason BT took over Plusnet, was to gain easy access to an Ellacoya license. Soon after the take over, BT employed the Ellacoya platform across their own Network.

Why else would BT be interested in purchasing a reasonably small ISP? They didn't attempt to purchase any other ISP's after this.
      Last edited by fazedup; 07-03-12 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Typos

terryf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: retford
      Router: Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q silver
      Thanks

I see Retford and its villages are due to complete 31st March 2012.
      Just in time for the April start.
      Terry

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Pre-registered my interest months ago, my exchange (THGG) has been enabled for months and the BTInfinity website says I can get 39mbps now (based on my house number and postcode as Sky control the line) so ... where is the phone call from Sky

12.50 extra for an extra 34mbps ?? yes plese
      Moxey, gorebrush and Paul2003 like this.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Finally. Today, I managed to find someone else who is on my exchange and is able to place an FTTC order.

This confirms then that all I am waiting for is my cabinet to go live and I can go order SBUF. I was concerned at seeing the dates slip 6 months that it would be another quarter before the exchange is enabled. Seems the exchange is all up and ready to go, just need cabinet 8 turning on. FTTC is dawning for me!

EDIT: I found two cabinets on my exchange are enabled. Remember the cat poster? Well they mentioned a street address. So, Royal Mail postcode checker later and I'm armed with a relevant postcode and phone number....

So, that's 2 cabinets on my exchange at least that are working. Come on BT, pull the finger out!
      Last edited by gorebrush; 09-03-12 at 12:45 PM.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

Sky on phone now,they got to ring me back on Monday to confirm date but install should be 27 or 28th March
      Last edited by Paul2003; 09-03-12 at 04:06 PM.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast