Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 91 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It isn't a 'telephone extension', it is an extension for the vDSL signal. If you are in a block of ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre connection

It isn't a 'telephone extension', it is an extension for the vDSL signal.

If you are in a block of flats, based upon the interference shown with ADSL2+ connections (they often sync lower for the same Line Attenuations to a house), I would suggest that you have the BTO Modem as near to the Master Socket as possible. The connection from the Modem to the router can be any length, up to 100m as it uses Cat 5e cable.

Whilst you should get the 40/2 connection speed, if you upgraded to the 'up to' 80/20 connection, this is when you would notice the difference.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Jim_Bob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I don't mind the BTO modem being with the master socket in the cupboard, what I do mind is having to have the router in there aswell. Being the design of my flat, to get the wiring from the BTO modem (in cupboard) to the router (in lounge) would be messy, it would have to cross several doorways etc.

Thats why I asked regarding what dpb said. The engineer connected the BTO modem to an existing socket in his main room, not the master socket near his front door. This was because he had adequate cabling throughout his home which could carry a 40mb connection. I'm wondering if the case would be the same for me.

Thanks

The BTO Engineer would be able to make an extension from the master socket to a new site for the BTO Modem. What I am suggesting is that this might not be a good choice in your situation. However, if the BTO Modem is to be in a cupboard, please ensure that it is well ventilated. There is a history of problems with some older ones and I wouldn't trust the new one to be in a place where the heat could build up.

The router can be located anywhere you wish. It connects to the BTO Modem via an Ethernet Cable. The one supplied by Sky is around 1.5m long.

By using a longer Ethernet cable between the Modem and Router, the signal strength for your broadband connection would be at its best with the Modem near to the master socket. The connection between the Modem and the Router works at 100mb/s as it is a LAN port that you connect to on the Modem. Ethernet cables can be anything from 10cm to 100 metres.

The two do not need to sit next to each other.

Since it is best to leave both the router and modem on 24/7, there should be no issues with having to switch them off at night, for example.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Can my existing phone socket in the living room not be used for the BTO modem (change the faceplate etc)? It's already been done for one fibre user.

"he had installed modem / new socket faceplate etc in lounge 'extension' behind the tv"

"no problem with using this socket because it was wired direct from master and was 'full size' whatever that means "

I just need to know what these "full size" cables are and if my flat has them?

As I say all my wired internet devices (TV,SKY,Xbox) are several rooms away. I don't want to run an ethernet cable from that cupboard, it would be messy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Bob View Post
      As I say all my wired internet devices (TV,SKY,Xbox) are several rooms away. I don't want to run an ethernet cable from that cupboard, it would be messy.
      But then the extension cable for the router, from the Master Socket, would also be messy.

I think that it might be better for you to wait for the BTO Engineer to arrive and see what he can do.

Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks
      Can my existing phone socket in the living room not be used for the BTO modem (change the faceplate etc)? It's already been done for one fibre user.

"he had installed modem / new socket faceplate etc in lounge 'extension' behind the tv"

"no problem with using this socket because it was wired direct from master and was 'full size' whatever that means "

I just need to know what these "full size" cables are and if my flat has them?

The quality of the cabling would have to be checked. When I was in a new build, the extension wiring was done with alarm cable which is notorious for rubbish ASDL, so VDSL will be worse if your cabling is not up to scratch.
      Also, it seems as if the poster you quoted has their extension wired up incorrectly because they should be filtered with the faceplate on the master. So the answer to your question is probably not.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Thanks

Hmm. Okay. Well I can't imagine my cabling is poor on the basis that I run between 18.5 & 20mb on Sky Broadband? I'm guessing the best solution would be for a engineer to see the cables behind the master socket which lead of to each room in the flat. I'll see what happens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      But then the extension cable for the router, from the Master Socket, would also be messy.

I think that it might be better for you to wait for the BTO Engineer to arrive and see what he can do.
      As I said, he didnt use an extension cable, he supposedly attached the new faceplate to the built in extension socket in the front room instead of the master socket.

dpb
      dpb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: swadlincote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

As I said, he didnt use an extension cable, he supposedly attached the new faceplate to the built in extension socket in the front room instead of the master socket.
      Thats exactly what the bto engineer did and speed is good !

bhavinshah88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Perivale
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity FTTP
      Router: TP-Link Archer C9
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I'm hoping for the same.

I have a similar issue to you - master socket is an annoying location (and no power next to it either), while the router needs to be on a different floor. Will report back on what happens when it's installed on Monday.

Page 91 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast