Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 86 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That's awful :-( I'd try to double check that BTO are coming to the right address as well - assuming ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre connection

That's awful :-( I'd try to double check that BTO are coming to the right address as well - assuming the BT man didn't enhance the truth slightly, according to him he knocked and waited outside for half an hour for you - as you didn't see or hear anything, either he didn't bother doing that, or he did it somewhere else. At the very least, ask if they can ring when they're on their way - most engineers will do that, if you ask.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamjjh View Post
      Thanks for the support and info guys! I have spoken to sky and they are going to wave the £105 charge. I have asked them to make a complaint to BTO but they are saying that thereís nothing they can do as BTO are a separate company.
      Rubbish! Any firm or individual that has a service supplied by another has the right to complain when things go wrong.

As for getting things done, then they seriously need to escalate such a complaint and get BTO out ASAP.

Sky donít seem to be able to do a lot about this, all I want to know is why BTO didnít come and if they did whey they never knocked on the door or phone me, they canít even get me a faster booking, got to go to the back of the queue so will be another 3 weeks before BTO can come back!
      If the fibre team can't help, I wonder if it is worth contacting the Executive Team?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

adamjjh (13-03-12)

zAerokill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01256 (Basingstoke)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

I've seen multiple BTO vans around town so it can only be a matter of time. Yet people living near me have had Infinity for almost a year. So I'm confused and am beginning to doubt whether this upgrade will happen any time soon. My impatience is down to my internet speeds and if they were faster (eg. I didn't have to wait for a 240p video to buffer before viewing) then I wouldn't really care that much about when it gets installed. With there being 4 computers in the house, there are times where it just wont load a page :P It hasn't always been so slow, I think the constant use of the internet has slowed it down as the fastest I've ever seen it is 0.25MBps. (Now Max. 0.15MBps)
      Last edited by zAerokill; 12-03-12 at 06:11 PM.

firehawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

ok well, this sucks. I just signed up to BT infinity today. Wanted to stay with sky but my connection was getting unbearable

SKY Fibre Optic pro unlimited!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
      ok well, this sucks. I just signed up to BT infinity today. Wanted to stay with sky but my connection was getting unbearable
      Ok, I'll have to ask: Why couldn't you wait until next month?

Today is the 12th. I am sure Sky will be launching SBUF to the masses early or mid April.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

I have spoken to sky and they are going to wave the £105 charge.
      There is no valid charge to waive in the first place! Don't let Sky trick you into thinking they are doing you a favour. You are a customer of Sky, they should be looking out for you!

I have asked them to make a complaint to BTO but they are saying that thereís nothing they can do as BTO are a separate company.
      Complete, total and utter garbage!!

Sky are a BT customer, a large one at that.
      So if the level of service isn't upto scratch (This includes trying to shaft Sky customers out of a hundred quid, just because the engineer couldn't read his own writing and knocked on the wrong door, or was falling behind on his target for the day, so conveniently knocked on a phantom door), as a customer Sky have every right to complain about it.

Whoever you spoke to at Sky, possibly didn't know the procedure for this, didn't want to upset the BT apple cart or it was just simply above their station.
      But if you shout loud enough, in the correct direction, somebody at Sky should give a sh*t and follow this up. At the very least, you should adequately compensated for your considerable inconvenience.

Take Scubbie's advice, try the Executive Team avenue.

Absolutely ridiculous!!!
      Stumpy, jayhab and Meteosat like this.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fazedup For This Useful Post:

adamjjh (13-03-12)

McBridge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedlington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

BTO turned up at my house yesterday and could not get an answer even though my wife was in so he phoned me on my mobile and I was able to get home to let him in. SBUF is now installed and running sweet, the nice BTO guy moved my master socket to the location I wanted and set up the BTO modem. It was his first SKy install and had no idea what he was ment to do. At first the Sky router would not connect so he connected his fancie testing equipment and confirmed the line was up and running so left it to me to sort out, which was fine by me. I asked him to use his testing equipment to find out what the fastest speed my line could handle which he did, max download in the future could be as high as 160Mb/s approx and 40Mb/s up approx. I think it must sky must have had to activate me or something needed swapping at the exchange as I had to abandon the config of the router as had to take my Daughter to dancing and when I was waiting for her to finish Sky fibre team rang me to check on the install as I was the first in my area to get it, I explained to them the router had not connected when I left and he said that since then the router had logged into the sky network. Low and behold when I got home everything was working. Well I say working I was only getting 3Mb down on a wireless connection until I scanned all the local WIFI channels and swapped my channel into some free space and everything started to pickup. I am however still getting some perculiar results on WIFI, my phone will download sometimes at 23mb then at 7mb the next time with a ping of about 40 but the IPad has a very high ping of 100 or even higher but always getts about 34mb down. Which I thought was strange, I think there must be something going on with my phone or the speedtest app not working properly. Tested with a wired conection as I was config the router and was getting 39mb down and 1.8 up. So overall I am a happy bunny.
      jayhab likes this.

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McBridge View Post
      BTO turned up at my house yesterday and could not get an answer even though my wife was in so he phoned me on my mobile and I was able to get home to let him in. SBUF is now installed and running sweet, the nice BTO guy moved my master socket to the location I wanted and set up the BTO modem. It was his first SKy install and had no idea what he was ment to do. At first the Sky router would not connect so he connected his fancie testing equipment and confirmed the line was up and running so left it to me to sort out, which was fine by me. I asked him to use his testing equipment to find out what the fastest speed my line could handle which he did, max download in the future could be as high as 160Mb/s approx and 40Mb/s up approx. I think it must sky must have had to activate me or something needed swapping at the exchange as I had to abandon the config of the router as had to take my Daughter to dancing and when I was waiting for her to finish Sky fibre team rang me to check on the install as I was the first in my area to get it, I explained to them the router had not connected when I left and he said that since then the router had logged into the sky network. Low and behold when I got home everything was working. Well I say working I was only getting 3Mb down on a wireless connection until I scanned all the local WIFI channels and swapped my channel into some free space and everything started to pickup. I am however still getting some perculiar results on WIFI, my phone will download sometimes at 23mb then at 7mb the next time with a ping of about 40 but the IPad has a very high ping of 100 or even higher but always getts about 34mb down. Which I thought was strange, I think there must be something going on with my phone or the speedtest app not working properly. Tested with a wired conection as I was config the router and was getting 39mb down and 1.8 up. So overall I am a happy bunny.
      Glad your connection is up and those are some nice speeds! It seems to be an issue with wifi speed testing that it inconsistant and to be honest speedtest.net app can be hit and miss and even on my wired connection anyway, use the speedtest at the top of this page it keeps a record of your speed test.

It would be nice though if the Bt engineers could do the call back to sky and make sure its all working before they leave. I am sure if people have to pay £50 for the install then have to either wait for a call or call sky they wont be too happy.

Thanks

It appears that the Sagem 2504Ns being supplied for SBUF are not always recorded on Sky's servers initially or something else needs to be triggered to allow them access. Someone else commented that their new Sky router couldn't connect initially on the ADSL connection, then later it did, before SBUF was installed.

As for speed testing, WiFi is never a good idea for testing the speeds as it is subject to interference, which I suggest is what you have a lot of.

You have already changed the channel, which is great. I would also look at locating the router (the Sky routers work best on their edge in the supplied stands) and keep it clear of things such as the TV, microwave or other radio transmitting equipment. Issues over WiFi was one major factor for me getting my own router and I have had no regrets since.

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It appears that the Sagem 2504Ns being supplied for SBUF are not always recorded on Sky's servers initially or something else needs to be triggered to allow them access. Someone else commented that their new Sky router couldn't connect initially on the ADSL connection, then later it did, before SBUF was installed.

As for speed testing, WiFi is never a good idea for testing the speeds as it is subject to interference, which I suggest is what you have a lot of.

You have already changed the channel, which is great. I would also look at locating the router (the Sky routers work best on their edge in the supplied stands) and keep it clear of things such as the TV, microwave or other radio transmitting equipment. Issues over WiFi was one major factor for me getting my own router and I have had no regrets since.
      Twas me. Fingers crossed my fibre install is this afternoon

Page 86 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast