Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 74 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by fazedup As for the config file method. Thanks for clearing that up Scubby. I was sure I ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre connection

Quote Originally Posted by fazedup View Post
      As for the config file method. Thanks for clearing that up Scubby. I was sure I read a post somewhere saying it was possible to retrieve the info from there. Anyway, Lives 'n learns.
      Many other routers will show the log in details and the password in the config file. One example would be my old DGN2000.

There is a new idea about encrypting the contents of the config file on many new routers. I guess this is to keep the passwords, etc., secure.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morgee View Post
      I am already lol. Very nice it is too. Now where was that 50gig BluRay movie I wanted to download lol.
      All I need to do now is get a switch for connecting Sky box, PS3, WDTV Live and Apple TV and a NAS box for storage and streaming and then wire the lot together!
      That should get me fully connected.
      you could use your old router as a temporary switch, just turn off dhcp, until you can get one with more than 4 ports
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Mattyjkuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willaston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

WAHOOOOOOOOO!!! Had my call from sky tonight, installation set for March 20th, when my wife picked up the handset and said it was a 0800 number and went to pass me the phone I nearly took her arm too!!!

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier so apologies if it was, Data Extension Kit will be included free of charge if needed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mattyjkuk For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (06-03-12)

Zino_Jones is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

just want to thank everyone, especially ipster. finally found my bt cab, pretty much by accident while looking at something else I thought was it, out the corner of my eye saw more green around the corner. wasnt where I thought it would be.

with it being a street away, how does this affect the speed?

how far do you have to be from your fibre cab before speed drops from 40 to say below 35meg, is vdsl not as lossy as adsl?
      Ipster likes this.

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zino_Jones View Post
      just want to thank everyone, especially ipster. finally found my bt cab, pretty much by accident while looking at something else I thought was it, out the corner of my eye saw more green around the corner. wasnt where I thought it would be.

with it being a street away, how does this affect the speed?

how far do you have to be from your fibre cab before speed drops from 40 to say below 35meg, is vdsl not as lossy as adsl?

Mine is 250 meters away and i can get 45mb from my line, i think you will be fine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zino_Jones View Post
      Perhaps what may be confusing many people is the speeds that FTTC has been delivered at and what it is now being delivered at.

Take last year, for example, the maximum connection speed was 40mb/s, but in fairness it was an 'up to' 40mb/s product (i.e. BT Infinity, PlusNet Fibre) that was offered. If you lived a long distance from the green street cabinet, then your speed would drop off and you might get 25mb/s or less.

With the recent changes incorporated, the potential FTTC connection speeds are now 'up to' 80mb/s. Like ADSL1 uses a small frequency bandwidth, compared with ADSL2+, the faster connection actually uses a wider bandwidth than previously. This means that if you went to BT Infinity right now, you could get a connection speed at up to 80mb/s down & 20mb/s up.

Many ISPs have not agreed to go up to this speed yet and instead they are being capped at 40mb/s.

Currently Sky are offering a capped 40mb/s connection as part of the trial. This is likely to stay the same for a period of time after the product is launched in April. There are various rumours circulating about when Sky will offer an increase in the connection speed. Currently no one can be 100% certain of this.

When Sky do offer the 'up to' 80mb/s speed, then we shall see a lot more variety in connection speeds. Until then, most people are going to get 40mb/s.
      Angel_Rex, fazedup and Ipster like this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      ...There are various rumours circulating about when Sky will offer an increase in the connection speed. Currently no one can be 100% certain of this.
      I'm about 50 metres from the Cab, so I should hit 40meg. TBH, I'm not going to be greedy, that's enough for me. Naturally, I'd take 80meg if there was no additional cost.
      What I would happily pay a few extra quid for, would be the 10, or indeed 20meg upload if it became available.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

fazedup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chippenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Good . Since you already have a Sky connection, you could use a non-Sky router to check the log in details if you wanted to be sure that you have the correct details.
      Getting ahead of myself a little here and confusing matters. The 2 routers I have are both cable versions, WNDR3300 and WNDR3700. So I won't be able to test until activation on friday.

Assuming I only need to connect the modem to the WAN port on either router?
      Ipster likes this.

"...We're through the looking-glass here people, none of us have ever done anything like this before... except Mike, who as we all know, once stole a Tank and tried to invade Paris!"

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by fazedup
      Getting ahead of myself a little here and confusing matters. The 2 routers I have are both cable versions, WNDR3300 and WNDR3700. So I won't be able to test until activation on friday.

Assuming I only need to connect the modem to the WAN port on either router?
      Phooey, someone mentioned that they had a DGND3700. I had thought it was yourself.

You will need to connect either router via the Ethernet WANT port. Try the auto-detect option when you get hooked up.

As for the 20mb/s upload speed, this is what comes with the 80mbps connection.

morgee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Burnham
      Router: Sky Q Silver Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      you could use your old router as a temporary switch, just turn off dhcp, until you can get one with more than 4 ports
      Mmmm, nice idea. If only I understood what you meant and how to go about doing that lol.
      jayhab likes this.

Page 74 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast