Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 68 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It's all about the need for speed. "It's never, ever, enough£...

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre connection

It's all about the need for speed. "It's never, ever, enough£
      Angel_Rex and Ipster like this.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      dropping 1kb or having the same ip?
      Sorry - The IP Address.

It has previously been found by many members on ADSL that MER has become sticky. This specifically means that if you were to turn your Modem off (assuming this is still the case with SBUF) and on again soon after, you would likely end up with the same IP Address. The only way to change it would be leave the Modem off overnight. At the moment this is not recommended in your instance.

The change in connection speed is likely down to the time of day, just like ADSL.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sorry - The IP Address.

It has previously been found by many members on ADSL that MER has become sticky. This specifically means that if you were to turn your Modem off (assuming this is still the case with SBUF) and on again soon after, you would likely end up with the same IP Address. The only way to change it would be leave the Modem off overnight. At the moment this is not recommended in your instance.

The change in connection speed is likely down to the time of day, just like ADSL.

Yeah I think i'll just leave it now .... hope it goes back down!

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Is it a problem, being stuck with the same IP address? I thought people often paid a premium for guaranteeing the same IP address
      Angel_Rex likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Is it a problem, being stuck with the same IP address? I thought people often paid a premium for guaranteeing the same IP address
      You are correct in stating that some people do like to have a static IP Address. Sky does not provide for this, hence the 'Sticky' IP Address.

These people tend to be those who run servers (game or some thing else) or who wish to have a simple method to access their home network by being able to type in the IP Address. For this reason businesses tend to have static IPs.

One disadvantage of having a static IP Address is that if some Internet bot has found a hole on your connection, then it would be a very simple act to find you again and to exploit that hole.

Business networks are more secure than a home network, with far fewer ports open to incoming traffic. Having said that, there are many hackers out the who will try to find those limited holes.

If your home network is under attack, often the simplest thing to do would be to disconnect the router/Modem for a few minutes. Reconnecting it would provide you with a new IP Address, or at least it used to with Sky.

There are other reasons that some people like to change their IP Addresses for, but those would complicate the issue. As for being able to access your home network, when the IP Address can easily change, the best way, until recently when they started charging, is to use DynDNS. This is a supported feature on all the Sky routers.

Managed DNS | Outsourced DNS | Anycast DNS
      Ipster likes this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (04-03-12)

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Sorry - The IP Address.

This could turn out to be a real pain, at the moment if you have an issue with your connection in general you just call sky if you are on an LLU exchange. If its true that BTO manage the fibre/DLM and all the issues with it could in some cases get messy. I have read on other forums that BTO have not always been as helpful as they can but then this upto Sky to manage not the end user. As we dont know how sensative the DLM is on fibre with BTO it could be a big difference to what we are used to. I hope BT allow ISPs to manage their fibre connections more sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      ...I have read on other forums that BTO have not always been as helpful as they can but then this upto Sky to manage not the end user. As we dont know how sensative the DLM is on fibre with BTO it could be a big difference to what we are used to. I hope BT allow ISPs to manage their fibre connections more sooner rather than later.
      Could I suggest that if BTO are not helpful in managing the connections, then Sky and any other ISP would be able to discuss the issues through Ofcom. The potential may include BTO having to surrender direct access or even loose control completely.

I recall a comment posted on here some time back about a Sky employee who had significant control over a connection. I messing around, they managed to lock up the whole telephone exchange. Since then they have only had limited access over their own equipment.

Any such access would therefore have to be carefully controlled and I am sure that Sky would be able to watch over things a little more now.

As for the DLM process, does it really matter who controls it? What does matter more to use is how easy we can get a line corrected when there has been a problem. The majority of people have no knowledge of things like 'Telnet' and the ability to tweak connection settings. Personally I only started doing it after reading some comments on this forum, before that I hadn't known, or worried, about it.

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

What does matter more to us is how easy we can get a line corrected when there has been a problem.
      Thats the point I was trying to make, At the moment senior tech guys at sky can get on and do things if they have to place an order or request via BTO it does slow it down. From reading what people have said about other ISPs is that when profiles have dropped or need changing ISPs have had to request this from BTO who have then gone back and forth.

I think until the sky product goes mainstream with fibre we wont really see how things work out or how sky manage their connections. Whislt I am a little dissapointed with the router and maybe the upload speed I have to take into account how stable my current connection is compared to how it was and how good sky tech support have been in regards to my IP issue and its things like this that will in the end make me swing towards sky fibre over anyone else.

As for Telnet.. I wouldnt know where to start. Im an Apple Fan...lol I like things that "just works" with little fuss. <please feel free to mac bash here>
      Angel_Rex likes this.

dpb
      dpb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: swadlincote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Well managed to speed test wired connection now - results coming in at 35-37 down and 1.6-1.7 up at approx 700m from cabinet im well pleased
      Ipster likes this.

dpb
      dpb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: swadlincote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dpb View Post
      Well managed to speed test wired connection now - results coming in at 35-37 down and 1.6-1.7 up at approx 700m from cabinet im well pleased
      Managed to work out and add speedtest result as well !

Page 68 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast