Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 66 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I read somewhere previously that there's a trick to get it working correctly with FTTC PPOE. I'm sure it was ...

Mr Mot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMCAN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      I read somewhere previously that there's a trick to get it working correctly with FTTC PPOE.

I'm sure it was over on thinkbroadband, I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Have you tried entering no username and password and instead just enter a space?
      Last edited by Mr Mot; 03-03-12 at 06:16 PM.

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre connection

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      Booooo What error did it give in the logs? MER it is then by the sounds of it! Did you refresh the DHCP after you tried it?
      error logs?

yes , i refreshed the dhcp, try rebooting airport, modem, nothing...will try a bit later when i've had something to eat, the PS3 is downloading an update for DCUO
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      error logs?

yes , i refreshed the dhcp, try rebooting airport, modem, nothing...will try a bit later when i've had something to eat, the PS3 is downloading an update for DCUO
      I will PM you with where to find the logs on the AE see if it tried to connect and got refused or never even got that far.. Oh flip forget that the latest Airport Utility doesn't show you logs anymore.

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Thanks

I spoke to somebody in the fibre department today. He told me that the delay in Sky offering fibre was that they had to negotiate with BT how they were going to connect their customers. BT wanted sky just to be a reseller and go throughout BT wholesale backhaul. The guy said that SKy had been "burnt" with the connect product and sky insisted on the the present arrangement of using their own back haul. I for one am glad Sky held their ground.

I was also told that the 40/10 and 80/20 profiles are being trialled by Sky, so watch this space.

dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      You know what, the more I read on here, the more I am convinced, Sky are going to offer free connection to Fibre and a free router, when they actually release the fibre to the masses.

Look at the hit that Sky take on HD

A HD box must cost a couple of hundred quid to produce, it must cost about 35 - 60 for install, and then if they offer M&S vouchers, currently 75 per friend and the introducer, that equals 410 per new customer.

Say the average package is 30.25 x 12 = 363.00 income the first year.

410.00 - 363.00 = a loss to Sky of 47 in the first year, and then a profit of 316.00 in the second year. And so on.

If you sign upto Sky TV then you are hardly likely to cancel after year 1 unless you have huge issues, or just cannot afford it. I bet they are playing the same game with fibre.

20.00 x 12 = 240 - Cost of router 35.00 - Cost of connection 50.00 = Approx profit of 155.00 in year one

240 profit year 2

So year 1 and year 2 = 395.00 profit per customer (x 3 million customers) = Shed loads of profit.

Sky are just playing with the opposition at the moment, making them think that they are ahead, and so that they don't know what will hit them in April.
      I read somewhere sky are paying bt 90 a year rental on each fttc

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Thanks

done some further testing with the airport, tried static ip addresses, no go, backup the sky router files and user professional note pad no username and password combos in there worked.

i don't know what else to do unless the password generator doesn't work for the updated firmware or something
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Thanks

Thanks

Mmmmm, interestingly the ping has increased to 18ms this morning. I was on the connection last night at 2am and it was fine.

had no disconnects or anything.

I called sky to give feed back on the great speed and no drop outs and mentioned the slight ping increase. They said they cannot control the line management atm as its bt's fibre. It then also posed the question about packet shaping.... They are not 100% sure if the line can be packet shaped by bt or not.

Now while I would prefer an 11ms ping i appreciate i couldnt tell the difference........I may reset the router or just leave it and see what happens.

@Andrewjr - Have you noticed any negative effects on your line by swapping the routers about etc? causing the line to disconnect etc.

Have you been up 10 days now? Did you disconnect the modem or sky router before 10 days? According to sky the line is under constant DLM so no profile or delays can be set.

More than anything its useful info

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Rex View Post
      Mmmmm, interestingly the ping has increased to 18ms this morning. I was on the connection last night at 2am and it was fine.

had no disconnects or anything.

I called sky to give feed back on the great speed and no drop outs and mentioned the slight ping increase. They said they cannot control the line management atm as its bt's fibre. It then also posed the question about packet shaping.... They are not 100% sure if the line can be packet shaped by bt or not.

Now while I would prefer an 11ms ping i appreciate i couldnt tell the difference........I may reset the router or just leave it and see what happens.

@Andrewjr - Have you noticed any negative effects on your line by swapping the routers about etc? causing the line to disconnect etc.

Have you been up 10 days now? Did you disconnect the modem or sky router before 10 days? According to sky the line is under constant DLM so no profile or delays can be set.

More than anything its useful info
      We chatted about this last week I think, that DLM was down to BT. However they also said that they would be starting to allow some ISPs to see more stats on lines... I thnk fibre is still new, once it has settled ISPs will be able to do alot more. I am sure I was told that BT do not like resetting lines unless they had to put people switched off the openreach modem sort of sorted out smlaller issues

Thanks

Ah ok, you mean you discussed it last week while buttering up the BTO engineers I bet its cost you loads in kit kats too now

So recon its worth rebooting the bto modem?

ooooh might give it a go

Page 66 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast