Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Would be interesting to know how much it would cost to move a master socket - but I guess that ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre connection

Would be interesting to know how much it would cost to move a master socket - but I guess that depends on who we're paying for it ... BT or Sky (and if there is any special negotiated rate between the two of them).

2. Advertisement
      Justinlang is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Would be interesting to know how much it would cost to move a master socket - but I guess that depends on who we're paying for it ... BT or Sky (and if there is any special negotiated rate between the two of them).
      I recently posted that I had managed to persuade sky to move the master socket; I received a bit of come back from certain users (including someone who sells BT master sockets and faceplates) who were staggered that someone was willing to pay BT to move it (even though it should only be BT that does this) rather than DIY it.

It took a bit of convincing sky (who are the only people that can instruct BT Openreach as my ISP) but it eventually happened. I was quoted 130, the work was done back in November and I have yet to see the charge come through, but that may be down to timing.

Sky instruct BTO to do the work, BTO do the work and charge sky and sky charge the customer. I don't know if sky mark up the cost, if and when they recharge it back to me.

I have a feeling that sky resisted instructing the work to be performed until they realised the socket might be damaged, relented, and instructed BTO; under these circumstances maybe I won't be recharged.

Meanwhile, exchange due to be upgraded to fibre by 1/3/12, have identified my cabinet, am just waiting for the second one to appear...

---
      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.296789,-3.082482

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Justinlang For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (07-02-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justinlang View Post
      I recently posted that I had managed to persuade sky to move the master socket; I received a bit of come back from certain users (including someone who sells BT master sockets and faceplates) who were staggered that someone was willing to pay BT to move it (even though it should only be BT that does this) rather than DIY it.
      I was under the impression that the master socket itself was actually the property of BT and we are not supposed to touch it .. other than to change the faceplace. Regardless of that .. the faceplace is as technical as I get and I certainly wouldn't want to risk trying to move a master socket myself.

Thank you for the information - at least I know what it might cost now (even if it is a completely bonkers price!).

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

If you are easily able to move the telephone cable to a new position, it is almost as simple as rewiring a mains plug.

The differences include the fact that the wires are connected to the live connection at the exchange (but with less voltage); the Master socket will need to be fixed in the new location; and you may need to drill a hold in the wall (and fill the gap to stop the draft afterwards).

For some people this is simple enough to do, but there are many out the who end up on various TV programmes because they have bodged the DIY at home, so for some 130 is worth it.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Yeah .. I'd be one of those on the bodged DIY TV programme

It may possibly complicate things that the location we'd want to move it to, would mean actually extending the cable - I'm just not comfortable doing any of that.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      It may possibly complicate things that the location we'd want to move it to, would mean actually extending the cable - I'm just not comfortable doing any of that.
      It might be worth searching your local area for someone who can do the work for less money then?

Places like run-IT-direct can supply the same black cable that BTO uses to run into your home, along with any BT Junction Boxes. This should provide a strong signal to your new location. Here is an example of the cable: CW1128 Twisted Pair Telephone Cable, Jelly Filled 5 Pair 10M

The main issues would be to ensure that the connections are good, that they are protected from the weather and that where the line re-enters your home, that is is free from potential damage.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

might do that if my sweet-talking abilities fail me :P

I was still under the impression, however, that we (meaning anyone other than BT) were not supposed to do anything with the master socket - that it was BT property.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The whole demarcation point thing has turned into a farce. BT India will tell the end user they can fit what they like. The reality is if you install the correct kit (ie, NTE5) an Openreach engineer is unlikely to either know nor care. Certainly in my 21 years I've yet to come across one that does.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Justinlang is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks
      I did a bit of research before approaching sky to get the socket moved to find that sky tends to refuse to facilitate the master socket move even though they are the only party that BTO will talk to. I had to suggest that I would take the line rental back to BT before they agreed to consider my request, and even then they tried to persuade me not to go ahead. Once I suggested I wanted to tidy up the socket ie it was damaged they were a bit more forthcoming. Not wanting to tempt fate but I have yet to be recharged the cost and am now wondering that sky weren't keen to help as they would not be able to recharge the cost for whatever reason and therefore not keen to get the work done. The suggestion that the socket needed repairing seemed to smooth the process.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Justinlang For This Useful Post:

Stumpy (07-02-12)

Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know when BT were trying the hard sell to get me onto infinity the guy on the phone stated that the engineer that comes to fit the faceplate would be mine for an hour to do with as i pleased. He specifically mentioned moving sockets and stuff.

Whether that was a BT only thing, he was exaggerating what would happen etc. I'm not sure, but thats what he said on the phone.
      jayhab likes this.

Page 4 of 111 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast