Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 39 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Mystic Eddy Hopefully they'll be able to have some control over the Openreach DLM . I've noticed ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre connection

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Eddy View Post
      Hopefully they'll be able to have some control over the Openreach DLM. I've noticed that it has three settings beside the obvious speed caps of Standard, Stable and Speed. Would be good if we could request the speed profile as that's listed as the profile for online gamers .
      As far as reporting is concerned, i recall reading that BTO are supposed to be opening things up a little for the various ISPs to see the stats once a month, with a view to increase this. This would enable a provider to see whether a line is good or bad. Previously it was limited.

That document is useful though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As far as reporting is concerned, i recall reading that BTO are supposed to be opening things up a little for the various ISPs to see the stats once a month, with a view to increase this. This would enable a provider to see whether a line is good or bad. Previously it was limited.

That document is useful though.
      I saw the document on that too. I suppose the profile banding can't be implemented with certainty until the reporting trial has completed and ISPs pay BTO for it. I'm sure the providers don't want to have to go back and forth changing profiles if a line becomes unstable.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Eddy View Post
      ...I'm sure the providers don't want to have to go back and forth changing profiles if a line becomes unstable.
      Certainly at present with Sky and their LLU equipment, those members of Sky's staff who have access to the systems that allow them to see the full connection stats are able to do a lot of useful work when tweaking a line or troubleshooting a connection.

This is in start contrast to what can be done with a Connect connection. They have to get someone within Sky to contact BTW in order to check a line and this can add a few days to resolving the issue, if at all.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Certainly at present with Sky and their LLU equipment, those members of Sky's staff who have access to the systems that allow them to see the full connection stats are able to do a lot of useful work when tweaking a line or troubleshooting a connection.

This is in start contrast to what can be done with a Connect connection. They have to get someone within Sky to contact BTW in order to check a line and this can add a few days to resolving the issue, if at all.
      Indeed. Wouldn't be good customer service having to reply saying just wait while we contact BTO. They'll probably offer configuration when they can get the daily monitoring data, but until then it'll just be suck it and see I guess.

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Sky fibre team do already have more control and stats about a line than their counterparts at BT this is due the data all going through their own ISAM's which provides them with lots of line information and tools to configure.
      As far as I was aware there was no BT Openreach DLM on Sky fibre connections and was in fact controlled by Sky who was it that said it was an Openreach thing ? as would like to clarify that to check which is correct

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uno View Post
      ...As far as I was aware there was no BT Openreach DLM on Sky fibre connections and was in fact controlled by Sky who was it that said it was an Openreach thing ? as would like to clarify that to check which is correct
      Actually no one has completely confirmed who has control over the speed settings and monitoring the stability of the SBUF connections.

There was a publication on-line regarding access by ISPs to BT's diagnostics stats.

I guess we assumed this would be how Sky would be controlling the SBUF connections.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Actually no one has completely confirmed who has control over the speed settings and monitoring the stability of the SBUF connections.

There was a publication on-line regarding access by ISPs to BT's diagnostics stats.

I guess we assumed this would be how Sky would be controlling the SBUF connections.
      It would seem that way although the diagnostics from BTO are labelling in the document as providing guidance on whether a FTTC line is 'good enough' for linear IPTV. So it maybe that Sky has control over the lines connected now; it's not something I've read a great deal into though.

dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hows this for an idea. The fttc tech is bto's therefore any software running on this tech will also be bto's. As sky rent this from bto (i read somewhere 90 a year) wouldnt bto under a FRAND style regs have to.offer these services to sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dj_smurph View Post
      Hows this for an idea. The fttc tech is bto's therefore any software running on this tech will also be bto's. As sky rent this from bto (i read somewhere 90 a year) wouldnt bto under a FRAND style regs have to.offer these services to sky.
      That's how I understand it. But currently this 'virtual' unbundling of FTTC doesn't allow total control of lines like current LLU does, but I believe it's something the industry is working towards.

uno
      uno is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am going to look into this dlm question as I know Openreach engineers can not get stats from cabinet or change Sky fibre profiles which they can for other resellers connections as Sky are setup differently as data goes straight to Isam once entering the Exchange rather than going via Openreachs equipment first.

Page 39 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast