Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 36 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; @dmobs: Just think, by the end of the month you'd have Double glazing too, paid for by all the money ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre connection

@dmobs: Just think, by the end of the month you'd have Double glazing too, paid for by all the money that you got back from the PPI refund and the damages for that accident you never had.

P.S. You've been entered in the Mexican Lottery. Thee is a good chance that you could win too, so keep your phone close, they tend to call at 2am.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      flamey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EACOL
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      I hope a configuration similar to the ADSL products 'gamer profile' is introduced at some point which turns interleaving off completely.

I asked them directly about fastpath on FTTC and they said they wouldn't support it

That and the 2mb upload was a deal breaker for me:

1). What is the upload speed on this product? If it is the 2mb variation, will it be possible to upgrade this for a price?
      The upload speed of Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre is 2mb, and there is no option to upgrade this at this time

2). Current Sky LLU ADSL products do not support fastpath. Will the fttc product support fastpath?
      No, Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre will not support fastpath.

3). Will you be using BTOpenreach's DLM or your own variation?
      Yes the DLM system we will be using is provided by Openreach.

gorebrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: UK
      Router: VM pfSense 2.3.2-RELEASE-p1 on ESX 6
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

I'm not getting why everyone is opposed to 2Mb upload?

These are residential connections at the end of the day...
      Ipster and morgee like this.

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorebrush View Post
      I'm not getting why everyone is opposed to 2Mb upload?

These are residential connections at the end of the day...
      I agree, Sky are not the only ISP that are offering 2mb upload. But I think what people are saying is that this is a new product that is already behind in speeds compared to some ISP's, me personally I upload lots of things photos music and files so it would be nice to get the option even if is an additional small charge per month.

But at the end of the day, sky fibre is offering unlimited data, no throttle, no peak or off peak surfing restriction for 20. Nothing says they wont increase the speed in time either... for 20 per month its a great deal, and it really is simple if people want instant 40/10 or 80/20 they can always go to BT but it is not always the case you get what you pay for!
      morgee and Pazza like this.

dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Remember this is only a trialperiod. Sky could on day of release up it to 10 meg. I am an esrly adopter and as such realise that the first offering is never the finished product. That said sky are offering probably the best priced best terms fibre product coming onto the market
      andrewjr, Ipster, morgee and 1 others like this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

There are many people out there who have been DJing for Internet radios, maintain website (personal of course) or whom wish to chat with family using Skype.

When you add into the mix multiple users on one connection, gamers, people who stream video from the various legitimate on-line sites or upload personal video blogs, all of a sudden many connections start to struggle with ADSL.

Whilst a 2mb upload is great (I have had it with Annex M), there are still going to be times when it will struggle.

There are strong suggestions circulating that this will be increased sometime later this year. What I can't say is when or if there will be any extra charge for it. I don't think that there would be an extra charge though.

As for whether or not Fastpath is included, initial ping results seem to show that SBUF is producing as good a result as BT Infinity. How much more do you actually need?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I wouldn't say it was behind. I'd say it was at the forefront - because it is unlimited.

OK Virgin might be a lot faster, but BT is catching up and a lot of us cannot or will never be able to receive cable. Not that i'd want it because that's a shared infrastructure model - if you have a street full of bandwidth thirsty users you won't be getting the full speed. That certainly used to be the case, maybe it has improved over the years and I could be wrong of course....

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Broadband in the UK compared to alot of other countries has always been plagued by poor upload speeds in relation to its download speeds and was 1 of the reasons i decided to switch from Telewest cable, which back then was a max of 512k UL, to Sky which gives me 768k UL, even tho cable had better DL speed and at the time i didnt bank on my DL speed being quite as low as it ended up being on Sky, the extra UL speed consoled me somewhat as i believe its UL speed that can be more important where gaming is concerned.

Personally i can fully understand and appreciate the upload issue, at present with my 768k UL when just 1 person starts to UL a vid to youtube i can barely get web pages to load let alone do anything else and everyone in the house comes running to me complaining the conn is crap and they cant play online. Hopefully this wont be as much of a problem on 2mb but in a big household with multiple xbox's playing online games which can end up being the 1 that is hosting the match and 2 people that are obsessed with making gaming vids and UL'ing them to youtube i imagine its very easy to still saturate the UL on 2mb tho maybe and hopefully ill be proved wrong

Also theres just the plain old fact that if more is available then its human nature to want more even if its not actually needed so if Sky only does 2mb but BT and others are offering 10mb and even more then i can understand that people may not be able to help but feel a little short changed on the UL, even VM are going to be giving i believe its 5mb UL on their top tier offering. That said, the lower UL with be somewhat balanced out by the lack of traffic shaping and speed capping which was the only reason i didnt jump back to VM for broadband after ending up with only 4mb from Sky and constant complaint from members of the house about crap internet conn.

Anyway, in conclusion to what has become my big pile of ramblings, i think faced with the choice of Sky only being 2mb UL i would still go with Sky 100% for Fiber as soon as i can but ofcause i will always hope and pray that they do decide to increase the UL and would be willing to pay extra for this if i had to
      Ipster likes this.

Thanks

I would consider buying a router that can do QoS and stick that behind a fibre connection.. prioritise things like Xbox and make uploading to youtube Best Effort..

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      Broadband in the UK compared to alot of other countries has always been plagued by poor upload speeds in relation to its download speeds and was 1 of the reasons i decided to switch from Telewest cable, which back then was a max of 512k UL, to Sky which gives me 768k UL, even tho cable had better DL speed and at the time i didnt bank on my DL speed being quite as low as it ended up being on Sky, the extra UL speed consoled me somewhat as i believe its UL speed that can be more important where gaming is concerned.

Personally i can fully understand and appreciate the upload issue, at present with my 768k UL when just 1 person starts to UL a vid to youtube i can barely get web pages to load let alone do anything else and everyone in the house comes running to me complaining the conn is crap and they cant play online. Hopefully this wont be as much of a problem on 2mb but in a big household with multiple xbox's playing online games which can end up being the 1 that is hosting the match and 2 people that are obsessed with making gaming vids and UL'ing them to youtube i imagine its very easy to still saturate the UL on 2mb tho maybe and hopefully ill be proved wrong

Also theres just the plain old fact that if more is available then its human nature to want more even if its not actually needed so if Sky only does 2mb but BT and others are offering 10mb and even more then i can understand that people may not be able to help but feel a little short changed on the UL, even VM are going to be giving i believe its 5mb UL on their top tier offering. That said, the lower UL with be somewhat balanced out by the lack of traffic shaping and speed capping which was the only reason i didnt jump back to VM for broadband after ending up with only 4mb from Sky and constant complaint from members of the house about crap internet conn.

Anyway, in conclusion to what has become my big pile of ramblings, i think faced with the choice of Sky only being 2mb UL i would still go with Sky 100% for Fiber as soon as i can but ofcause i will always hope and pray that they do decide to increase the UL and would be willing to pay extra for this if i had to
      The one things sky does well is invest money and thats what it needs to increase its speed.. money time and investment in its systems something that has let BT down over the past years. So I don't think its a case of if Sky increase speeds but when!

You are spot on the more we get the more we want, its the nature of the beast. But at the same time we have to look at everything as a whole not one aspect of the service. Sure other ISP's offer faster speeds but then history and comments also show that those speeds are not always maintained in peak time. So whilst sky may not be the fastest service to enter the fibre ring I am sure they will do what they need to make it consistant and at the end of the day that should be one of the most import aspects of the service.

Dont forget we are all talking about a service that has not been officially launched, so whilst we all have our thoughts and wish list.. whilst Im excited at the thought of 40meg download whoooooop Im trying to hold back until I see the final offering
      Last edited by Ipster; 22-02-12 at 10:54 AM. Reason: poor spelling -in need of mini eggs!

Page 36 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast