Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 31 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Bartlet They could, but in one move would destroy their unique selling point of an unlimited, unthrottled ...

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre connection

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlet View Post
      They could, but in one move would destroy their unique selling point of an unlimited, unthrottled connection.
      Personally I want an Internet connection, not a 'what we think you should use the Internet for' connection.
      How would it destroy their USP? Their broadband would still be unlimited and they would not be slowing down or shaping traffic.. they would just say.. we dont let you surf there. I do agree once this starts then it all goes down hill, but it is a bit of a head scratch to how they will increase speeds, without people abusing the bandwidth without them increasing prices too much. I would be happy to pay a little more for increased upload 40/10 or 80/20 just so when everyone is online in my home I dont have to watch constant buffering.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sky are the only ISP who do not interfere with your access to the Internet, unless they are told to do so by the IWF or the courts.

All other ISPs have FUPs that limit your access if you download torrents or other material like that.

Before people go off about the potentially illegal content that torrents share, please consider the values of what the software has brought to the world. If it wasn't for Napster, everyone would not be able to download music from places like iTunes.

Until last year, it was technically illegal to copy your own music CDs onto your own MP3 player in this country. I bought a Sony CD Player which allowed me, with their software, to burn my own CDs with either MP3s or AAC files nearly 10 years ago. Sony are one of the big companies complaining about copyright theft.
      gorebrush likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Bartlet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Torrents are widely used for legitimate purposes these days, especially for community projects which can't afford hosting costs. A few weekends ago I downloaded 30Gb of FlightsimX addons for a relative (who is on a 20Gb tariff) via torrents. I thought to myself that although I was only getting 500KB/s it was probably more than an Infinity user would be able to get at that particular time of the day.
      Sky's reputation would plummet if they started blocking without legal requirements and their price point for fibre would not be attractive enough to keep people from Infinity (with it's 10mbps upload).

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Until last year, it was technically illegal to copy your own music CDs onto your own MP3 player in this country. I bought a Sony CD Player which allowed me, with their software, to burn my own CDs with either MP3s or AAC files nearly 10 years ago. Sony are one of the big companies complaining about copyright theft.
      pot, kettle, black

on a separate not here are some speed tests that i have done over the last couple of days. very consistent, i am very happy with SBUF thus far

19.02.2012 18:47 GMT 37.04 Mb/s 1.55 Mb/s 17 ms London < 50 mi Image
      19.02.2012 13:24 GMT 37.38 Mb/s 1.69 Mb/s 15 ms London < 50 mi Image
      18.02.2012 13:02 GMT 37.38 Mb/s 1.69 Mb/s 16 ms London < 50 mi Image
      17.02.2012 19:47 GMT 37.38 Mb/s 1.69 Mb/s 15 ms London < 50 mi Image
      17.02.2012 19:41 GMT 37.37 Mb/s 1.69 Mb/s 18 ms London < 50 mi Image
      17.02.2012 16:04 GMT 37.40 Mb/s 1.69 Mb/s 17 ms London < 50 mi Image
      17.02.2012 15:05 GMT 37.41 Mb/s 1.69 Mb/s 15 ms London < 50 mi Image
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Angel_Rex is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Uckfield
      Broadband ISP: Zen FTTP
      Router: FRITZ!Box 3490
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

could u do a ping trace to bbc.co.uk please?

ping www. bbc . co .uk

tracert www. bbc . co .uk

ta

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm all for letting people use their Internet how they see fit, my comments relate to how are sky going to give consumers the higher speeds they want without it getting abused at a cost that's not too much to put people off.

I think its a tricky one, in twelve months when we look back it will be interesting to see how it had panned out and if it's the speed or the cost that has increased or both.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I would guess that very much the same things would have been said when Sky first launched the Unlimited package.

It has coped very well to date, with very few issues to my knowledge with the the backhaul and servers becoming over stressed.

Sure last year the backhaul is a significant number of areas was struggling, but Sky has since upgraded things and I trust that valuable lessons have been learnt, which is perhaps why they upgraded all their backhaul links to 100gbps.

The next bottleneck would be their servers. This is something that is constantly going to be looked at and I trust they too have been improved and reorganised.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well unlike BT Sky do have the money to be able to update and adapt at much faster rate. I was reading the wiki page about the FTTC install... they did some serious downloading. I think for myself and people on on much slower speeds we do not download as much as we could or like based on the time it takes. I think fibre will no doubt lead to people downloading (and uploading) more I know I will, my mum has infinity before she could never be bothered with the internet becuase she had no patience now she is never off her family tree website and sending photos and facetime..

Touch wood, I have never had issues with sky broadband makes me wonder why I didnt move from BT much sooner I do suffer disconnections from time to time but it never had an impact on my sync or speed.

Pazza is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hi. Please bear with me I am new here, so not sure my first post is correct. I have been reading the threads on Sky fibre optic for well over a year, and now feel compelled to write. I'm soooo jealous of Andrewjr. Living in Basingstoke we have had BT Infinity since the start, in May 2010, but I just hate BT so much, I could not bring myself to order Infinity. My next door neighbour receives 38Mb download while I get on average 460Kb!! I have been hoping every since May10 that Sky would launch a fibre service. Now they have, I gutted. The BT infinity checker has for the past 3 weeks says Infinity is not available until the 29th Feb. Are they full? Are they upgrading? Just when I want the Sky fibre team to call and offer me the trial BT put a stop to it. Argghhh!!! Guess I will have to wait a few more weeks before I get that call. I have everything else Sky. Skytalk, line rental HD, sports packages etc.

Justinlang is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neston
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks
      Our exchange is due to be converted on1/3/12 and I've found my cabinet. However the dslam cabinet has yet to be installed but they have sprayed the pavement where it is meant to be placed with "dslam" sprayed within the rectangle. I just wish bto would hurry up and get it installed...

---
      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.296785,-3.082401

Page 31 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast