Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 28 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Ipster Just been out, and noticed another 4 more fibre cabinets that must have been installed yesterday... ...

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre connection

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      Just been out, and noticed another 4 more fibre cabinets that must have been installed yesterday... my cabinet location is waiting for power..... Seems Openreach are really pushing to install those green babies
      Just having a cabinet installed and having power to it sorted out is not enough.

I had my cabinet installed 3ish months ago.

It was powered up first week of December. No signs of accepting orders yet though.

From the little research I've done it seems like it can take upto 6 months after the day the cab is erected for it to go live.

2. Advertisement
      Bartlet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The first cab I noticed in our area was in February or March last year. They went live at the turn of the year. It can be a long process.

Gadget.man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01226
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

i wondered if any experienced hands could explain this confusion. I've done the BT fibre check and found i can be connected right now getting speeds of 40mb and 2MB but when i go to any other Broadband supplier like Talk Talk Zen or Plus net some don't even seem to be able to find my postcode never mind to do a speed check using my telephone number ! while others say its not yet available on my exchange.

Edit just realised does all the above suppliers have to install something at my exchange for them to be able to offer fibre broadband ?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I don't think TalkTalk have yet launched their Fibre broadband. However there is information on their website.

Currently Sky's fibre broadband package is 40/2 (40mb down, 2mb up). BTO are going to increase the speeds to an 'up to' 80/20 connection speed soon. The speed estimators have all been updated to work on the 40/10, but will shortly be changed to 80/20.

In the mean time, because the speed increase has already been partially implemented, many people on Sky's fibre product will get the full 40/2.

If you are looking at other ISPs, then check their websites for what packages they are offering now. Also check any forums to see what people are saying.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Gadget.man (18-02-12)

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      @ andrew:

Out of curiosity. How far are you from your cabinet?
      Not far about 70m. This is estimated tho, I'm to lazy to walk it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Currently Sky's fibre broadband package is 40/2 (40mb down, 2mb up). BTO are going to increase the speeds to an 'up to' 80/20 connection speed soon. The speed estimators have all been updated to work on the 40/10, but will shortly be changed to 80/20.

In the mean time, because the speed increase has already been partially implemented, many people on Sky's fibre product will get the full 40/2.
      Is it known for definite that the Sky network will automatically benefit from the Infinity increase?. Really will effect my decision as at the minute my estimate from BT (Infinity) is 23meg, which quite frankly I wouldn't bother changing for. Horrible thought....maybe this my estimate after the speed double

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I cannot be 100% sure on this, but from what I have been reading everyone will benefit with this increase.

Although I have not been able to get confirmation directly from Sky, I believe that they could well hike up the connection speeds shortly after SBUF is launched. For now, I would advise that you base any purchase on Sky providing a 40/2 service as they could charge say 30 for an up to 80/20 service.

Remember too that with vDSL, the speeds are based on your distance from the cabinet, not the exchange.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

joe pineapples (18-02-12)

Bartlet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joe pineapples View Post
      Is it known for definite that the Sky network will automatically benefit from the Infinity increase?. Really will effect my decision as at the minute my estimate from BT (Infinity) is 23meg, which quite frankly I wouldn't bother changing for. Horrible thought....maybe this my estimate after the speed double
      The Openreach speed increase (VDSL using profile 17a) will be available for any ISP it's just whether the ISP passes it on. The BT Wholesale checker has already been updated with the 17a profile speeds although limited to display a max of 40/10. If the checker is showing your estimated speed as 23Mbps today then that is after the change to the higher speed profile. Are you a long way from your cabinet?

Until the end of January my estimated speed was listed as ~26mbps (can't remember the up but it wasn't 10). It now shows 40/10. Last weekend the checker was showing unrestricted results and mine showed fifty something down and 15 up. I certainly wouldn't pay any extra for an up to 80/20 service knowing it wouldn't actually go up much higher. I'd be very happy for Sky to let the down & up sync just do whatever the line is capable of for the 20 though

Now where's my phone call

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bartlet View Post
      The Openreach speed increase (VDSL using profile 17a) will be available for any ISP it's just whether the ISP passes it on. The BT Wholesale checker has already been updated with the 17a profile speeds although limited to display a max of 40/10. If the checker is showing your estimated speed as 23Mbps today then that is after the change to the higher speed profile. Are you a long way from your cabinet?
      This is what it says from that link....

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 22.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.6Mbps.
      and the distance is 0.6km

9inchjock is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01225
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morgee View Post
      That is my fear also. Which is why I am hoping someone during their dealings with sky on this subject will get a 'phone number and PM it to me so I can get back to them.
      Damn what a mistake but my worry was that if I accepted and then came here and found the consensus of opinion was that it was full of problems.......................................... ...oh well, live and learn. Just have to hope now!
      Sorry for that did not mean to post it live.
      Last edited by 9inchjock; 19-02-12 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Not required anymore

Page 28 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast