Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 27 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Like Tree334Likes

Sky Fibre connection

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Moxey Andrewjr see how your lovely whizzy connection performs on large file downloads from the net, the ...

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre connection

Quote Originally Posted by Moxey View Post
      Andrewjr see how your lovely whizzy connection performs on large file downloads from the net, the offline installer files for the MMORPG game Eve Online consists of a small exe file and 2 payload files that are over 2gb each.

Link to Eve Online offline installer download page

On my 4mb conn if i start to dl payload 1 it goes at just over 500KB/s and says will take 1h20m and if i start payload 2 at the same time they even out to around 260KB/s each and will take about 2.5 hours to complete, would be good to see how your attempt to dl these 2 files compares if you dont mind

pic of the dlspeed on my 4mb conn
      Attachment 2880
      Yes but in those 2.5 hours to download, you can do the washing, ironing, cleaning, have a shower-make yaself look pretty and make a cuppa tea! With sky's fibre you sit watching how fast it downloads not getting anything else done
      morgee likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ipster View Post
      Yes but in those 2.5 hours to download, you can do the washing, ironing, cleaning, have a shower-make yaself look pretty and make a cuppa tea! With sky's fibre you sit watching how fast it downloads not getting anything else done
      LOL
      nah im a lazy sod, i would still sit here and watch how SLOW it downloads for the 2.5 hours
      Ipster likes this.

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      i was there yesterday, your time will come.

@ Scubbie

here are 2 test results using the speed tester on here

Test taken(up to) DownloadSpeed (Kbps) UploadSpeed (Kbps)
      17 February, 2012 19:39:38 22384 Kbps 1426 Kbps
      17 February, 2012 15:00:28 9904 Kbps 1585 Kbps

it fluctuates between 10Mb/s and 34Mb/s throughout the test
      Do you have Anytime+ installed? It will be very interesting to see have fast and consistent that is.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Andrewjr see how your lovely whizzy connection performs on large file downloads from the net, the offline installer files for the MMORPG game Eve Online consists of a small exe file and 2 payload files that are over 2gb each.

On my 4mb conn if i start to dl payload 1 it goes at just over 500KB/s and says will take 1h20m and if i start payload 2 at the same time they even out to around 260KB/s each and will take about 2.5 hours to complete, would be good to see how your attempt to dl these 2 files compares if you dont mind

Attachment 2880
      I started to download both at the same time, screen shot will be up in due course when i get home
      Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      Do you have Anytime+ installed? It will be very interesting to see have fast and consistent that is.
      I have anytime+ activated yesterday when Sky called me but it wasnt working yesterday. i havent had a chance to check it toady, but when i get home i will do.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

6. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewjr For This Useful Post:

Restorer (18-02-12)

paulkerdot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton Mearns
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Apple Time Capsule
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Im new on the forum but have been following the thread. I registered for fibre quite a while ago and have been waiting for a call. While I am still waiting communication disaster has occured.

I have been with Sky Broadband for over a year. On the 29th January I had had enough waiting for Sky Fibre and against my better judgement placed an order for BT Infinity. Two days later as we all know Sky released their press release so I decided to cancel the order. I called BT twice to make sure it was cancelled and was told it was. The date for the Infinity installation was yesterday. Having forgotten all about the infinity order I came home yesterday to find that BOTH my broadband and telephone line were disconnected. I called Sky and they said they had complied with a request to do so. I then called BT who had no record of the order. Called Sky back and was very unlucky to speak to India. I was on the phone for 1h 30 minutes and eventually I was told that Sky's hands were tied. The services were cut off, could not be reinstated but also the line had a claim by another provider so a new order could not be completed.

Roll on today. I called BT and spoke to a rude and unhelpful advisor. She said there was no hold on the line but it was a NON BT line. Called Sky back again. Spoke to a lovely Irish lady who told me she could order a new line (it must have cleared overnight). She told me it would cost me 39 to reconnect, I would need to take out a new contract, wait two weeks AND lose my number.

I AM ANNNOYED for two reasons.

1. My impatience to get fibre.
      2. BT ARE A BUNCH OF INCOMPETENT BAR STEWARDS.

Anyway, everything is going live again on the 5th of March, DLM and all. To top it all off I will probably miss out on a fibre phone call as well since I have no effing landline at the moment.

Tethering with my iPhone at the moment. Thank goodness I have a 3g signal.

RANT OVER.

PS. The nice lady at Sky said since I had to pay the 39 she would give me broadband free for 6months even though the offer has ended.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Attachment 2880
      here you go moxey

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      Anytime+ is not active. had to call them and have my card paired!?!? but just done a quick test by kicking off the download for Ironclad in HD once the download reached 1% i was able to start watching it. i have since cancelled the download as i've seen this film. i will, in the near future watch something and record the download time.

Quote Originally Posted by paulkerdot View Post
      Im new on the forum but have been following the thread. I registered for fibre quite a while ago and have been waiting for a call. While I am still waiting communication disaster has occured.

I have been with Sky Broadband for over a year. On the 29th January I had had enough waiting for Sky Fibre and against my better judgement placed an order for BT Infinity. Two days later as we all know Sky released their press release so I decided to cancel the order. I called BT twice to make sure it was cancelled and was told it was. The date for the Infinity installation was yesterday. Having forgotten all about the infinity order I came home yesterday to find that BOTH my broadband and telephone line were disconnected. I called Sky and they said they had complied with a request to do so. I then called BT who had no record of the order. Called Sky back and was very unlucky to speak to India. I was on the phone for 1h 30 minutes and eventually I was told that Sky's hands were tied. The services were cut off, could not be reinstated but also the line had a claim by another provider so a new order could not be completed.

Roll on today. I called BT and spoke to a rude and unhelpful advisor. She said there was no hold on the line but it was a NON BT line. Called Sky back again. Spoke to a lovely Irish lady who told me she could order a new line (it must have cleared overnight). She told me it would cost me 39 to reconnect, I would need to take out a new contract, wait two weeks AND lose my number.

Anyway, everything is going live again on the 5th of March, DLM and all. To top it all off I will probably miss out on a fibre phone call as well since I have no effing landline at the moment.

RANT OVER.

PS. The nice lady at Sky said since I had to pay the 39 she would give me broadband free for 6months even though the offer has ended.
      that sucks. i was tempted by BT as i was getting impatient but the reason I stayed away was the higher price, the fact that it is a BT product and an they require you to take out an 18month contact.

When connected and if Sky Fibre contact you i would of thought that they would let you take the fibre product even tho you only took a 12month contact....this is speculation of course and something that others are waiting to be answered, so please keep us updated.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Moxey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SkyQ Hub ER110
      Sky TV: SkyQ 2TB + Mini
      Thanks

Thx Andrewjr, that is some seriously nice dl speed, i really really cant wait for Openreach to get my exchange/cab done

Ipster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Just been out, and noticed another 4 more fibre cabinets that must have been installed yesterday... my cabinet location is waiting for power..... Seems Openreach are really pushing to install those green babies

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ipster For This Useful Post:

Carlow (18-02-12)

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulkerdot View Post

RANT OVER.

Unfortunate but could have been a lot worse.
      I think it's safe to say you made a better choice in the end.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

@ andrew:

Out of curiosity. How far are you from your cabinet?

Page 27 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast